Which kind of casters for Jsx combo amp? - Jemsite
Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 551
Which kind of casters for Jsx combo amp?

For those of you who have this amp, ya'll know this beast is heavy. I need to put casters on mine, before i injure my back.

What kind of casters is best suited for this amp.......the friction lock type or the ones with the flat base where you need 4 screws to attach it to the base of the cabinet??

Keep in mind the spring reverb unit sits at the bottom of the cab, and i dont want to catch it with a "caster" screw.

I've never attached casters on a combo before.......so i want to make the right choice on the type that is best suited for this particular combo amp.
SilverSurfer2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Harrisburg, PA USA
Posts: 2,459
Re: Which kind of casters for Jsx combo amp?



....or equivalent.
http://store.uhaul.com/product_detail.aspx?id=5017

Really, I'm not kidding

Last edited by Darin; 02-09-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Darin is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 07:23 PM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 93
Re: Which kind of casters for Jsx combo amp?

I would go with these. The Trak-Loc ones. Not sure which size you'd need. 2" or 3". They are expensive though.

http://mesa.stores.yahoo.net/harac.html

I used some Peavey casters (2" I think) but the bearings rattle and it was a pain in the butt to drill the holes without damaging the amp. Here's mine:









-Rick

p.s. I agree with Darin.

Last edited by punchingboy; 02-10-2009 at 07:28 PM.
punchingboy is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 551
Re: Which kind of casters for Jsx combo amp?

Darin I got this hand truck today wow this thing is great. at only $30 it feels well built enough to withstand the jsx. I used it for a jam session I think it was the better route over the casters because I was able to wheel other stuff at the same time on top of the jsx and I love how this thing folds flat and compact a great space saver. Now I would recommend Darins advice to everyone.
SilverSurfer2 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Harrisburg, PA USA
Posts: 2,459
Re: Which kind of casters for Jsx combo amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer2 View Post
Darin I got this hand truck today wow this thing is great. at only $30 it feels well built enough to withstand the jsx. I used it for a jam session I think it was the better route over the casters because I was able to wheel other stuff at the same time on top of the jsx and I love how this thing folds flat and compact a great space saver. Now I would recommend Darins advice to everyone.

The problem with casters is, they are always on. Unless you get removable ones, but still, they don't roll well over bumps or rough terrain, and just think of your tubes. Those casters don't have shock absorbers. Hand trucks have bigger tires and are smoother and healthier for your amp, and usable for other stuff as well. Without casters, you can throw your 2x12 on top of a cab and not worry about it rolling off.

Rock on!!!

-Darin
Darin is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Harrisburg, PA USA
Posts: 2,459
Re: Which kind of casters for Jsx combo amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchingboy View Post
I would go with these. The Trak-Loc ones. Not sure which size you'd need. 2" or 3". They are expensive though.

http://mesa.stores.yahoo.net/harac.html

I used some Peavey casters (2" I think) but the bearings rattle and it was a pain in the butt to drill the holes without damaging the amp. Here's mine:









-Rick

p.s. I agree with Darin.
Looks like we pretty much all use the same settings.
Darin is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 551
Re: Which kind of casters for Jsx combo amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchingboy View Post
I would go with these. The Trak-Loc ones. Not sure which size you'd need. 2" or 3". They are expensive though.

http://mesa.stores.yahoo.net/harac.html

I used some Peavey casters (2" I think) but the bearings rattle and it was a pain in the butt to drill the holes without damaging the amp. Here's mine:









-Rick

p.s. I agree with Darin.

i noticed in the pic with the rear view of the jsx, your ohm/impedance switch is on the 16 ohms setting......shouldn't this be set on the 8 ohms??
SilverSurfer2 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 05:26 AM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 93
Re: Which kind of casters for Jsx combo amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer2 View Post
i noticed in the pic with the rear view of the jsx, your ohm/impedance switch is on the 16 ohms setting......shouldn't this be set on the 8 ohms??

I never noticed that. Thanks for the info. I don't really know much about that stuff. I think maybe my roomate had it hooked up to a 412 and I never switched it back.

So i should swith it to 8 ohms then?

-Rick
punchingboy is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 02:47 PM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 93
Re: Which kind of casters for Jsx combo amp?

I guess it should be at 16 ohms. I was checking on the Peavey forum and found this(hope they don't mind me posting it):

There are two parallel speaker outputs on the JSX Combo, one of which is connected to the internal speakers.

The speakers are 8 ohms each, wired in parallel (edit- series, not parallel!), so the total load is 16 ohms. The switch should be set to 16 ohms for the internal speakers.
If you add a 16 enclosure along with the internal speakers, set the switch to 8 ohms.

_________________
Roger Crimm
Peavey Customer Service

So there we have it.

-Rick
punchingboy is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 04:50 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern Virginia (suburbs of DC)
Posts: 489
Re: Which kind of casters for Jsx combo amp?

Just get one of these:
https://www.carvinguitars.com/produc...p?product=DB35

Cheap, portable, designed specifically for the purpose, unobtrusive, and you can use it for multiple things. Win/Win.
chaos731 is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 551
Re: Which kind of casters for Jsx combo amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchingboy View Post
I guess it should be at 16 ohms. I was checking on the Peavey forum and found this(hope they don't mind me posting it):

There are two parallel speaker outputs on the JSX Combo, one of which is connected to the internal speakers.

The speakers are 8 ohms each, wired in parallel (edit- series, not parallel!), so the total load is 16 ohms. The switch should be set to 16 ohms for the internal speakers.
If you add a 16 enclosure along with the internal speakers, set the switch to 8 ohms.

_________________
Roger Crimm
Peavey Customer Service

So there we have it.

-Rick

Hi Punch, thanks for the info., sorry for the confusion. I forgot that they were wired in series.......so yes that makes sense now. Mine was set at 8 ohms........i think it got moved during transportation or something....and i didnt even notice it until recently. I'll have to switch mine back to 16.
SilverSurfer2 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mesa Mark IV combo vs. Engl Screamer 50 combo Penguin Gear and Equipment 1 07-02-2007 02:51 PM
Crate GT212 Combo or Peavey XXL 212 Combo carlos grijalva Gear and Equipment 13 01-08-2006 11:04 PM
Casters reguv760 Gear and Equipment 2 08-15-2002 11:40 AM
5150 combo vs Legacy combo toneseeker Gear and Equipment 5 01-21-2002 11:43 AM
Carvin Legacy combo vs head - considering a combo, *does it luther Gear and Equipment 3 02-12-2001 07:54 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome