Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Laney Amps

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  rastachild 
#1 ·
I'm considering a Laney Lx65d and was wondering if anybody has any experience with Laney stuff. Thanks, Tom

#3 ·
I have had two GH50L's with 6L6's (one of which i have at the mo), one GH50L with EL34's and a LC50 combo. They all sound very good. The GH has better drive than the LC and sounds quite good for lead. The EL34's work best with the GH to my ear.

In England they are probably the cheapest pro amp you can get and well worth the money. Saying that though..........i also have a Mesa F-50 and a Mesa Express which are by far better for clean, lead pretty much anything really......but......the Mesa's cost 3 times as much so it comes down to what you get for the money and Laney is a lot of bang for the buck.

The Build quality is pretty good on Laneys. I used one of my GH heads to gig for a year and the only problem i had was the HT fuse would blow now and then but a pack of 20 slow blows is only about £3 so no biggy. The Chicken head knobs and switches all work well, nice and tight movement and they stay that way, mine have never loosened or gone wrong. They also have numbered dails which is nice peace of mind for getting your home tone back perfect after gigs (one of the things i hate about mesa is that they brag about having a huge tonal palet yet dont put numbers on the dials. obviously your ear gets the tone back again but its still annoying).

All my Laneys have had Parallel Loops which have worked fine and sounded as good as any high priced amp loop. I cant speak for multi effects (g system can be dodgy with parallel loops) but my stomp box's have always worked well.

Most laneys and Laney cabs have celestion speakers which are good. I have a 2x12 GS cab and it sounds really good with the GH head and my F-50 head. The Cab's themselfs and not great quality but good enough and very light which is nice for upstairs gigs.

I cant really think of anything else at the mo. Hope this helps

#5 ·
Similar experience to Mr Bates; very happy with my (NOS Mullard) EL34 equipped GH-50L. Had it for over ten years now with no problems.

However, my previous VC50 gave me huge problems - faults ranging from the channel switching through to complete, total failure during gigs destroyed my confidence with the VC (I had at least a couple of replacements and each had gone back to Laney for repairs too). Shame, as the VC50 was a really good looking and sounding amp when it did run okay. Long since discontinued now, which may be telling as to the problems with reliability of that particular model.

Experience since, with the GH-50L, has been great.

#9 ·
i'll add to the discussion. i own a gh50L and a lc30II (30w 1x12 combo) and i've had nothing but pleasant experiences with these amps. the little 30w combo is nearly as loud as the head going through my marshall 4x12 cab. definitely not bedroom amps, but they both sound amazing. i run the head off the clean channel with the drive running around 6 so it has a little grit and then run a couple of od pedals on top of it. i find this to be the most versatile set-up for what i do. with the combo (as it is a true 2 channel amp), i run off of the gain channel, with the gain at 3 (again, just a little bit of break up). the clean channel on the lc30II is very nice; it's chimey and has a lot of depth. but for my gain, i prefer to use the gain channel for the basis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.