Ibanez JEM Forum banner
7K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Darin 
#1 ·
What is this switch for? I know it's to make it from a 100watt head or combo into a 50watt combo. The only advantage I can think of is to drive the tubes more. But then if you can drive the tubes easier why would you want it to be 100watts?

#5 ·
Legacy

Quote: from jay ratkowski on 11:06 pm on Mar. 29, 2001
NOTE - the 50 watt mode is only a 3db reduction from 100watts. It's not really lower volume at all. I suppose you can drive the tubes a little more? I really have no idea what it's purpose is.
Well, that's the thing, isn't it? A 100w amp isn't greatly louder than a 50w or 60w amp through the same cabinet, but the clean headroom is greater. Conversely, you can get slightly more distortion at half-power (or at least that's what happens on my 25/50 Marshall Jubilee).

Personally, a 50w head is more than enough for my needs anyway. My ears tend to be quite sensitive to high stage volume, and I'd still like to be enjoying music when I'm 50. :)

#6 ·
Legacy

Remeber though decibels are not standard additional units of measure. 3db can mean a lot. 3db is the difference between a full and a half stack. That said, if 3db is the difference between a 50 and 100 watt amp; you would get the same volume from a 50 watt full stack as you would a 100 watt 1/2 stack. (ahh physics.) If you want to read more about db mesure, check out http://www.sfu.ca/sonic-studio/Decibel.html
I do not understand the need for a 100 watt amp these days anyway(other than for show/brag rights). If you are playing somwhere where you feel like you need more volume, chances are you are being miked through the PA and don't need it anyway.
I have never played a gig where I turned a 100 watt amp above 4, and that was too loud on stage for me anyway.
KO

#7 ·
Legacy

3db is the generally accept unit for audibly perceptible. It is also the amount that sound increases by doubling the power.

I agree with you about 100W amps being just 2 much, of course I use a 120W amp but for different reasons, it has 2 60W output sections so it can be run in true stereo. It also has high/low power switches and triode pentode operation so you can get nice tones at lower volumes.

Even when I used a 50W Marshall on stage the sound guys were always telling me to turn down, and that was running it on 3 or so. "But my tone goes away!!"

#8 ·
Legacy

Quote: from rgr on 10:15 pm on Mar. 30, 2001
Even when I used a 50W Marshall on stage the sound guys were always telling me to turn down, and that was running it on 3 or so. "But my tone goes away!!"
That's what I've found. I love the half-power switch on my Jubilee - 25w means I can actually turn it up past 4.5 without screwing up the PA levels.

I'd love to see more companies like Mesa/Boogie, Hughes & Kettner, Budda and Soldano producing really good low- and mid-power valve amps. Instead of putting out 120w and 140w heads, why not stick features like channel-switching or FX loops on a nice 30w head for those of us who don't play aircraft hangars yet?

#9 ·
Legacy

Couldn't agree with you more. I don't have to fill MSG with sound. I would kill for a 3 channel 20 watt head with all the headroom and gain of the big boys. I would love to set the amp to 10 and still be able to retain my fillings. I have absolutely no use for a 100W head. None. That's why I rack it. I miss the attack of a head though...

I have a VHT 2-50-2. Nice power amp. It's still not the same as a head and it's still too loud. I can't fire it up enough to get a PT clip. I might look into the 16W Soldano combo.

Dave

#10 ·
Legacy

I once had a Sound City 120w tube head with a 60/120 switch. Pretty cool device. I get basically the same effect on my Marshall JCM800 100w head with the low & high sens. inputs..I use the low side most, I can get the classic sound without killing all the houseplants.
BUT.......
I think of my 100w full stack sorta like having a Ferrari.
You would probably drive it at "normal" speeds most of the time, and only occasionally going 100+mph.
Knowing I could render a would-be burglar stunned until the police arrive with a pullback trem G string 3rd fret harmonic is.....................priceless.
IMHO
Screamin'

#11 ·
Hello!
I am a newbie using tube amps. A friend of mine lent me a carvin legacy last week, but It resulted to have 2 power tubes damaged, I gave it to a local tube amps "expert" for fix this problem, and he just took 2 power tubes away (the inner ones) and leave the switch at 100W (four tubes).
The amp actually sounds amazing, but reading on the internet a found that this will burn the tubes too fast... Is this true?
Can I run this amp with just two tubes in the poer amp with the power switch at 50W? and... Which two tubes of the four it has in the power amp works at 50W, the outer tubes or the inner ones?

Thanks! hope some body can help me with this.

#13 ·
if you want to use a high watt amp on stage turned up because that's the only whay it'll sound good. that's fine. just don't point it at anyone. get a 20' speaker cable. keep your head close and put the cab waaaay in the back turned around. surround it with guitar cases or what ever. there is no need to kill people with your amp. no see if you can fallow this. stage monitors are in front of you, pointing up at you. the sound goes where the speaker is pointed. to many players seem to think the best place to point a cab is at the back of their legs. again. you need to rely on the sound guy to get you guitar in the monitor where it belongs. let the sound guy do his job and mix the band. no one need to hear you cab. if you have a problem getting a sound guy to put your guitar in the monitor. get a 1x12 or 2x12 and set in front of you pointing up at you as a moniitor.

remember also. you will eq your amp properly if you ca't hear it. it's better to hear what the mic picks up. unless you eq your amp with your ear pressed againts the speaker..which no one does. a lot of guy complain that the sound guy kills their tone. nope. truth is. your tone really sounds that bad that close to the cab where the mic is. listen to what the mic is picking up from your amp. that's what everyone else will hear in the club. eq your amp accordingly. you might be surprised at what you set you eq at. also. make sure you find the sweet spot on your cab. mark your grill and always use the same mic at the same spot. small changes in mic pos equal big changes in tone at the PA.

recap;
1. if you must turn your amp up because it sucks at low levels. turn it around.

2. eq your amp based on what the mic hears. not what your ear hears 4 feet away and off axis.

3. let the sound man do his job. put your guitar in the monitor. better yet. get in ears for the price of a cheap RG and you can run around the stage like a rock star and hear every glorious note no matter where you stand. trust me. you need in ears. for gigging players they are not an option.

the sound man can mix WAY better if monitors aren't sending 'stuff' back into all the mics on the stage.
later, darin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.