Ibanez JEM Forum banner
7K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  bluealien 
#1 ·
Ok, after years of using my digitech 2101, I think I'm in need of a new Multi Effects processor. I have looked at a few, yet wanted some opinions of others I have yet to try out.

I also was looking for something that would not break the bank at this time either.

I have looked at some of these, but in the short time I played around with them I found some were hard to tweak to my settings, which maybe easier with the computer interface, but then I would need to get a laptop for gigging. Also, some did not have the same tone as my current effects because they didnt have the 12AX7 tubes for that extra crunch.

Pod XTpro ( was ok, a few less effects than I currently have, but no tubs )

Digitech GNX3000 & 4 ( long delay between patch switching and hard to modify )

Boss G-8 (seemed a little better than the digitech, but still was not floored by it to make the change)

any other suggestions,

I want to try the Zoom or Vox.

See less See more
#2 ·
It might be breaking the bank a little but I've read some positive things about the replacement for the GSP21xx series is a good unit. I'm a little dissapointed they didn't add at least one 12ax7 though.

I had a GT-8 for a week when they came out and after not finding the sounds I wanted I sent it back and later found out that I might have had better luck if I had turned off the pre-amp in the unit. They have alot of power for the buck if you like Boss FX.

#3 ·
Yes, I do like my GPS2101, but its kind of a bear to create new patches as you have write it all out before you start and line in-out effects.

Im looking for something a bit easier to use, but with some of same tone.

Im getting tired or carrying my rack around, its too heavy, or im getting too old. :(

Im also at a point I may downsize my rig from the Mesa Boogie 50/50 (2) 4 x12 to just a 2 x 12 mesa boogie lone star, but this is a pricey jump for a smaller package. ;)

#5 ·
dont remember the patches, but it was from a clean to a dirty patch and it delayed as it switched, I sometimes get this too on my system but this seemed more of a gap on the GNX4.

Also what I didnt like about it was no Tubes, as the sound sounded simulated to me in some of the patches as compared to my GSP2101.

#10 ·
Zoom g9.2tt. Best multieffect ever (at the moment) and the amp modelling is perfect, they are not many amp modelling as their rival the line6 but they make up lack of amp modelling with quality amp modelling. And so far I haven't tried out all the other amps out there, but I've tried and play fender twin reverb and the g9.2tt nails it exactly.

#12 ·
After testing the G9.2tt and the new Pod X3 live side by side, I would still go with the Zoom.
The Pod delivers more in the realm of quantity (more amp models etc.) and has some really good modulation effects (better than zoom).

In all other departments I preferred the sound of the zoom. Especially even the clean sounds are awesome if you tweak the input and output tube stages a bit, you can get a very warm sounding clean channel. Crunch is pretty much a given, especially the marshall and VOX like crunch sounds are very nice. And high grain sounds are a no brainer on the zoom, it has endless gain. The tone gets so close to the real thing that I really was tempted by this thing.

I think it might not be all that long, when you finally can replace your stack with a modeller... Just the last few inches are missing.

#13 ·
IMHO non of the units mentioned offer anything over the 2101, their preamp tones can never come close to the twin tubes of the 2101. On top of which the 2101 has 15-band EQ, parametric EQ etc.

I have tried the GT-8 and line6 stuff, they are nothing when compared to a 2101. The only one I would seriously like to try is the Rocktron Prophesy II.

http://www.rocktron.com/

FX-wise the 2101 is so versatile, nothing can touch it. Sure, programming is a bit of a hassle, as for quality, it already has 24bit/48bit processing, to get significantly better you need to look at something like the TC G-system. Ten years of developments haven't actually brought anything superior, just look at the Rocktron Xpression, still 24bit/48bit using a motorola DSP.

If there is a specific effect missing in your 2101, I would suggest hooking up something in the 2101's FX loop, like the aforementioned G-system.

Same with the GT-8 or G.2tt, you are better off, using the 2101 as your main unit.

I believe the GT-8 also has an FX loop after the preamp, with the GT-8 linked like this:

Guitar ->GT8 preamp ->2101 preamp -> GT8 FX -> 2101 FX,

you can use the stompbox simulations from the Boss unit, use clean tubes or mild overdrive in the 2101, then use the best FX from both.

#18 ·
Yes, as this seems to be where im at trying new multi-effect units, as Im use to the tone and sounds of the 2101, yet this is over 12yr preamp/effects unit and you would think the new stuff would be better. I also upgraded the chip a few years back, which also made a big difference. :)

#14 ·
I had the Zoom g9.2tt for a while, but compared to connecting direct to my DSL100's (and using a mix of analogue overdrive and digital reverb/delay pedals) I slowly grew to realise that the Zoom was a piece of junk, mainly due to the quality of its effects – or the way they were shaped by the pre-amp. The effects were total and utter tone suckers, turning the original signal to mush, even the tube generated overdrive/distortions were poor imitations of a real tube amp, when dialled right down to give a little crunch the end result was way too digital or artificial sounding. Very little difference, if any, between the solid state and tube distortions that can be dialled in, and the Wah was pathetic. However despite this, the one redeeming feature was the innovative z axis pedal, the ability so smoothly slide an effect in or out is fantastic. I think that if Zoom were to produce a version that didn’t have the dreaded amp simulation/pre amp section, or at least a way that its pre-amp & amp sim can be 'true bypassed' from the circuit, then it might be a much better pedal. I imagine that the Zoom might sound better with a very clean solid state amp.

#15 ·
Take a poke around my Soundclick page:
http://www.soundclick.com/scali

Pretty much all the newer recordings (since early 2006 I guess) have been made with a Zoom G9.2tt. Some are recorded with a mic'ed up amp (Marshall 6101) where the G9.2tt was only used for effects (4-cable method), others with the G9.2tt recorded direct (via its onboard USB).
(ignore the Guthrie Govan and Randy Rhoads things, they were done with a mic'ed up transistor amp)

Then decide whether or not you like what you hear.

Personally I think the tubes are mostly a gimmick. They do change the sound, and they are useful, but it's more like an eq or compressor effect than that it actually makes the sound more 'tube-like'. Even without the tubes the sounds can be quite realistic.

#29 ·
I just listened to "Go Back - G9.2tt jam" - great playing and nice tone.
I might have to pick up one of these Zoom units if they can do this sort of stuff...

Then again, I listened to a few of the other tunes that said "G9.2tt" in them and the tone wasn't near the quality...was something set up different or recorded different?

#17 ·
Nah, I haven't played with it live. But my favourite setup is the 4-cable method with the Marshall 6101. In which case it's "The louder, the better" :)
I just record direct these days, because the mic'ed recordings are hit-and-miss. Sometimes they come out okay, sometimes the mic placement was wrong, and you need a lot of eq, compression etc to try and save the recording.
When I record direct, I'll know exactly what the result will be.

#19 · (Edited)
This is my current rig, however, I do not know if I want to get rid of it yet, as I really want to try to get a scaled down version for other stuff im doing:

I want to try to scale down to a Mesa Boogie Lonestar 2 x 12 (10/50/100 watt) / multi-effect. So this is probably at least a $2500 investment.

#21 · (Edited)
I wouldn't do that. They won't allow you to do a proper 4-cable connection (they have a loop, but it's not in the right place in the chain as far as I know... It's way at the front, so even before effects like way and overdrive pedals etc).

I think the options are down to Zoom G9.2tt, Boss GT-8 and Line6 PodX3 Live (assuming you're going for the compact and low-cost floorboards... ofcourse you could go for high-end rack stuff with midi floorcontrollers, but it's bigger, bulkier and more expensive... but it will give you more tweakable effects etc... question is, do you need that?).
Else it doesn't make sense to buy an expensive amp like a Mesa Boogie, and just not use the excellent preamp distortion on it. Might aswell buy a much cheaper and simpler amp if you're going to use a modeler as preamp anyway.
But that's just me.

When I bought mine, a year ago, I went for the Zoom because it had a much clearer signal than the Boss. Less hiss, less tonesucking and all that. I also liked the 'feel' of the distortions better. The Boss preamps sounded okay, but didn't make you feel like you were playing on an amp. You were sorta 'detached' from your sound, hard to explain, but a player should know what I mean. The Zoom had a nice fingerfeel.
The PodX3 wasn't out yet, and the PodXT lacked the external loop, so no 4-cable method. It was not an option for me. I was already using the 4-cable method on my Marshall 6101, and the Zoom 8080 that I'd been using for almost 10 years, and loved the sounds I was getting. My main problem was noise and tonesuck. I wanted a clearer signal. The Zoom delivered that... Probably because it was the only one with 24/96 processing at the time.

I've not tried the PodX3 Live yet, but it looks good on paper, and I've always liked the modeling and feel of Line6 stuff. There's a good chance I'd buy this one instead of the G9.2tt today.

#23 ·
Well finally after much testing, I took the plunge and got me the Zoom G9.2tt, which I was able to get New for $300 +$20 shipping :) instead of the $399 price tag it currently has...

At first when I hooked it up to my Mesa Boogie 50/50, I was not getting it sound correct, but after fixing the settings and changing the Eq and levels and getting some other patches, I must say, Im starting to like this better than my GSP-2101. Its also much easier to use, once you get the hang of all the knobs.

I also really like the PC library for the patches, however someone wrote one for the GSP2101 awhile back too, which helped.

The tones are great Live with my setup, but I have yet to play with going direct to my PC (USB), but so far I am very happy with the unit.

Only one thing I wish they didn't do is make the Accelerator & Boost of the Tubs manual, which means one you set them they do not change with patches.

#24 ·
Well finally after much testing, I took the plunge and got me the Zoom G9.2tt, which I was able to get New for $300 +$20 shipping :) instead of the $399 price tag it currently has...

At first when I hooked it up to my Mesa Boogie 50/50, I was not getting it sound correct, but after fixing the settings and changing the Eq and levels and getting some other patches, I must say, Im starting to like this better than my GSP-2101. Its also much easier to use, once you get the hang of all the knobs.

I also really like the PC library for the patches, however someone wrote one for the GSP2101 awhile back too, which helped.

The tones are great Live with my setup, but I have yet to play with going direct to my PC (USB), but so far I am very happy with the unit.

Only one thing I wish they didn't do is make the Accelerator & Boost of the Tubs manual, which means one you set them they do not change with patches.
I love mine, especially with how much the download makes it just like an effects rack through my laptop!
(So much easier than that little screen) 8)

#26 · (Edited)
No I have not tried the 2112, which of what I read and hear it was better than my GPS-2101. Especially how the changed the Eq with quick knobs. Maybe down the road I will get one and try it out, but at this time I am digging the tone im getting with the Zoom G9 & my Mesa 50/50, cant wait to get the Lonestar so I can have a nice little compact setup for practice and small gigs.

also my GPS2101 does have the 2 upgrades, the PPC210 board & chip upgrade and the also the **Artist** v3.00.00 upgrade.

#27 ·
I bought a TC Electronics G-Force with the optional card that has a few hundred more presets for a little over 700.00 on e**y. It kicks my 2101's butt. I like it even more so than my Eventide D/SE. Great unit, but I think that the used price on these probably qualifies for "breaking the bank". Still, I like what it does better than all of my other rack units. Just my 2 cents worth.

#28 ·
I bought a TC Electronics G-Force with the optional card that has a few hundred more presets for a little over 700.00 on e**y. It kicks my 2101's butt. I like it even more so than my Eventide D/SE. Great unit, but I think that the used price on these probably qualifies for "breaking the bank". Still, I like what it does better than all of my other rack units. Just my 2 cents worth.
Cool. I'll take that Eventide off your hands.

#32 ·
new this year....

rp 500 digitech
gsp 1101 digitech you may want to check that one out as you can use strictly the effects only and use the mesa as your pre. that might help you out. plus this summer a new control 2 unit.

boss gt-10 just out at namm 08
rocktron g300

i am interested in all of these.....

#34 ·
Well, as mentioned I got the Zoom G9.2tt, and im loving it over my old GSP 2101, now that im have gotten use to tweaking it, even other band members love my tone, this even comes from a old school musician that just like the raw sound of a good amp and reverb, can not believe the tone I have on the clean stuff now...

Guitar > Zoom G9.2tt > Mesa Boogie 50/50 > 1 4x12 cab, as Im scaling down my rig :) However I still use my rack mount Korg Tuner, because I can not read the built in tuner from far away. ggggggggrrrrrrrrrr.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.