Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Low wattage tube amp recomendations.

13K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  IbanezGirl 
#1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions for good low wattage (12-25 watt range) tube amps that are reasonably priced? The amp would be used for playing live gigs in small clubs with a mic in front of the amp. Music styles are blues, rock, classic rock and some old school heavy metal every now and then.

#13 ·
Don't throw rocks or anything, but the 5 Watt Epiphone Valve Jr. is $100 bucks, and sound pretty good on a 4x12 cabinet! There ae lots of mods out there for them as well, so you can customize it for yourself down the road if you get a little bored of it. It actually might be perfect for the kind of music you want to play through it, and leaves you $$ room for an EQ or a speaker upgrade or whatever if you want.

#15 ·
I recently bought a laney lc15r and did a couple of mods, i put some new cryo valves and a jensen p10r alnico speaker in and it has transformed it touch sensitive with crystal clear highs and a lovely sweet tone, it sounds amazing, might not be ballsy enough for a gig on it's own but with a decent mic should be cool. I would try and find a good 30 watt'er preferably with 2 x 10" or 2 x 12" drivers in it, great for practice / recording and will kick on at a gig. If you can afford it and feel like having something special modify it with some new cryo valves and a couple of jensen p10r / p10q for 2 x 10" or Celestion G12 Century Vintage speakers for a 2 x 12" at 101db per watt these go loud but they also sound superb.

#19 ·
Im looking into an F30 now, even though I am the Anti-Mesa.
My Orange is still awesome, but I dont want to carry a head and separate cab so Im looking for a fairly low powered combo again. Although I would go up to 50 watts. The tiny Terror is on my hit list, but that wouldnt get me around having to lug a cab with me.

#21 ·
I've actually decided to go visit some of the used stores, I hear we have one here that is amazing, keeps things reasonbly priced and very willing to negotiate.

My friend went there for a bass they were asking $600 for. He offered them $500 and they accepted, then came down by themselves to $450 because they didnt have the case, then down to $420 because they didnt feel like figuring out tax. He's been trying to get me to check the place out for years, so Im finally going to go there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.