Ibanez JEM Forum banner
19K views 133 replies 42 participants last post by  screamndemon69 
#1 ·
Hey, whats up?
Here is the deal, i have the chance to take a single rectifier head for 1000E(about 1200$),or a tsl 100 half stack (1960 lead cabin 4x12 included) for 1500E(1750-1800$),all used, i wanna shred sound, what is the best for me? HELP me plz... The rectifier is too cheap and in very good cont, here in Greece single rec costs about 2200E (2600+$)...

#114 ·
If I was being called out by the "narrowmindedness" comment, Racerx2k, please expound on this - if I wasn't the one being called out, then ignore this post. ;)

#118 ·
When it comes to crate amps, it really just depends on which model you are talking about.

I have a crate GX30M and it sounds vastly different than every other crate amp I've tried. It's dist. channel is more of a natural sounding over-drive...and it responds like a tube amp would. Cleaning up when I pluck softer, reacts excellently with the volume knob on my guitar.

The tone itself is not the best in the world, but the feel is great and it doesn't hide the mistakes of your playing or compress the sound un-naturally. With a better speaker and a higher wattage rating, perhaps a head version of the amp plugged into a cabinet, it would sound really awesome.

And blue voodoo...I've played these a few times, most of the time I didn't really like what I heard, but I think the cabinet makes all the difference. I've heard many people say that they hated the sound of the amp until they tried it through a different cab, something I think is definently worth considering.

#119 ·
The cab comes stock with v30's...which the majority of users on Jemsite recommend. Maybe you have a point but I sure wouldn't understand why it'd make a difference when most people suggest cabs that have v30's in them.

The cab itself looks like it's built well, so I'm not sure where people are getting how that's a problem.

#131 ·
i never really liked mesa for anything but high gain tones(Cannibal Corpse, Master of Puppets and later Metallica, etc) . For the mid-gain tones(Zakk Wylde, Slayer, etc) Marshalls take the cake imo. Not to mention, you can ALWAYS run a Maxon OD9 or a Boss SD1 in front of a JCM800 or plexi to bump the gain up, almost every 80s thrash metal band did(besides slayer, they just used graphic EQs to boost the mids and cranked their amps). It's all opinion though. Mesa cleans rape marshalls no contest, and the newer marshalls(JCM900 and later) aren't very amazing. Even with that in mind, listen to DEATH(Chuck Schuldiner RIP), he used a marshall valvestate(ss power amp, tube pre). You could EQ a Mesa to sound like that, but you can also EQ them to sound alot better. So it's all up to the user imo. For the record, I own a VOX AD30VT and use the JCM800 setting on it, I used the dual rect one for a while but got tired of the insane feedback. I'm planning to buy a Laney Pro Tube soon, so I'll have my marshall tone :-D. If you read all this, gratz

#133 ·
Haven't read many of the replies, but definitely the recto. TSLs suck, I like the DSL better but still not as much as a mesa. If you buy a marshall get a 2203 or something. I liked the vintage modern and the JVM too, but you lose versatility with the vintage modern compared to the mesa and the JVM has several ****** in its armor (digital reverb, built with $hitty components). The mesa will get you much better build quality and a better sound than the TSL once its dialed in properly

#134 ·
That is one of the many things I like about Mesa's, versatility. I'm not a Rec fan but I tried the Roadster recently and having 6l6 tubes in it seems to get TONS of tones that I was excited to hear coming out of the cab. The price point on it is a killer ($1899) but I did fall in love with the versatility of that head.

I still plan to get an Express 5:50 1x12 combo ($1200) and a medium head ($1100). I personally haven't tried anything that I liked better for the price (I'd love a Roadster but it is out of my price point).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.