Ibanez JEM Forum banner
19K views 133 replies 42 participants last post by  screamndemon69 
#1 ·
Hey, whats up?
Here is the deal, i have the chance to take a single rectifier head for 1000E(about 1200$),or a tsl 100 half stack (1960 lead cabin 4x12 included) for 1500E(1750-1800$),all used, i wanna shred sound, what is the best for me? HELP me plz... The rectifier is too cheap and in very good cont, here in Greece single rec costs about 2200E (2600+$)...

#17 ·
+1 I'm not a fan of the Rectifier. The only Mesas I like are the MKIV and the Stiletto (which happens to be voiced like a Marshall). I tried an F50 the other day, and I normally don't say this about an amp, but it sucked. Probably the worst amp I've ever played.

Mesa, Marshall's simply riding off of it's name right now.
How? Marshalls aren't anything like Mesa's.

#15 ·
It's mostly what sound you're after. A Rectifier won't sound like a Marshall no matter what you do to it. Just like the Marshall won't sound like a Mesa. If you like the Marshall sound I'd go for a Marshall. If you dig the whole contemporary metal sound as in a PRS plugged into a Dual or Triple rec then get the Mesa.

The Mesa's are much better built amps, but the 2 channel Dual Rec I had was ridiculously loud before I got to the point that I was getting a nice smooth crunch sound. I guess that it comes down to what you want to do. If you want something that will dominate the mix in a loud band then it's tough to go wrong with any Mesa. If you want something for ****ing in your apartment neither amp is ideal, and if you need a variety of sounds at your disposal a Single rec isn't ideal.

I've owned a couple of Marshall's, a Mesa Dual Rec, various rack stuff, and I now play a Peavey JSX pretty much exclusively. It just sounds great in a band mix. It's reliable, and cost less new than most Mesa's do used.

#22 ·
If you like Petrucci's sound, then go with the Mesa. Just, remember you can't EQ it like any other amp you've eber owned. Start with the gain on 6, bass below 3, and don't scoop the mids, for modern mode and you should get a pretty good tone out of the thing.

Really, they're very different amps, but as someone who's owned a TSL and played a number of Rectos, I'd take the Recto over the TSL. When guys talk about the "Marshall sound," it's not a JCM2000 they have in mind.

#23 ·
I personally wouldn't pick either one, as I didn't care for the tone of either. The Mesa Rectos I've tried have all sounded buzzy and lacked something, and the TSL I DID check out was kinda muddled-sounding. I'd be more apt to go with a DSL than a TSL. Now a Mesa Mark IV wold be a different story, entirely.
You like Petrucci, but did Petrucci ever play Rectos? Just not sure. I didn't think his "tones" ever came from Rectos.

#34 ·
Both! :) Marshall and Mesa are just as well made, and they both can do something the other can't. But it's like comparing apples and oranges, and you have to decide which you like better. I personally own a Mesa, but I'm planning on buying a Marshall soon (probably a JMP) so I can get the best of both worlds.

This thread made me realize how great jemsite is, as people can write such diverse opinions and there are still no flame attacks going off. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.