<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 11-22-2001, 11:49 AM

Mesa/Boogie V-Twin rackmount - Rare item or what??

Hey I saw a V-Twin rackmount preamp on Ebay. Its nowhere on the mesa website, they only have the pedal. I've read around that this is suppose to be the preamp section of a Dual Rec, is this true or what? I planned on getting a Pod Pro but only to use the Dual Rec setting, I'd much rather have the real deal if its available. Anyone know about these?
Old 11-22-2001, 12:01 PM

Mesa/Boogie V-Twin rackmount

I had a V-Twin pedal (which is in theory the same circuitry that's in the V-Twin rackmount). The tone is good, but it doesn't sound like a dual rec. It doesn't have the crunch, and you certainly can't get that nasty dual rec over-the-top tone.

That said, it still sounds pretty d@#$ good!

--B
Old 11-22-2001, 01:12 PM

I think Mesa have discontinued the rack V twin, I have tried both extensively and they sound exactly the same - hence probably why it has been discontinued - why shell out more $$$ to put it a rack when you can have the same thing on the floor for less wonga???

(Edited by strat110 at 1:13 pm on Nov. 22, 2001)
Old 11-22-2001, 02:09 PM

Over the top crunch is what Im looking for so looks like the PRO is still the way to go. I know some will say it doesnt sound as "over-the-top" as a real dual rec gets but I think the POD is good enough. Just didnt know if the V-Twin was any better, thanks for the input guys!!

I plan on using it with a mesa 50/50 and rectifer 2X12's so I'll get plenty of crunch.
Old 11-22-2001, 03:35 PM

Reviews: 2

They sound OK

The Clean channel is fantastic. I can get this great SRV tone out of it.

The Dist isn't that great compared to my Studio preamp

But it's chrome got a lot of knobs a blue light some hot glass inside and it says Mesa Boogie and that's good enough for me.

I'd buy it for the difference value. Everyone has a pod and in a few years the v-twin may become a 'vintage' amp

P
Old 11-22-2001, 04:21 PM

the boogie dual recto preamp isnt out yet ....
Old 11-22-2001, 09:24 PM
Banned

Yet?.... Uhh Yet???? is there one in the works?
Old 11-22-2001, 11:43 PM

yeah, well so i heard somewhere i cant remeber where now, but there is supposed to be one coming out.
Old 11-23-2001, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Pablo on 3:35 pm on Nov. 22, 2001
They sound OK

The Clean channel is fantastic. I can get this great SRV tone out of it.

The Dist isn't that great compared to my Studio preamp

But it's chrome got a lot of knobs a blue light some hot glass inside and it says Mesa Boogie and that's good enough for me.

I'd buy it for the difference value. Everyone has a pod and in a few years the v-twin may become a 'vintage' amp

P
Flashy lights are always good

But yeah, thanks to the v-twin I lost all interest in distortion stomp boxes. They just didn't cut it compared to the v-twin. The thing also works best with a little eq'ing, and doing that and boosting the input signal to it you can get some really nice distorted tones out of it. Very fat and bluesy at times! I'd recommend it, in fact, the only reson I sold it was to finance my current triaxis, otherwise I'd have kept it...

To get over the top crunch, just make sure you eq it, boost the signal going in, and you'll be fine. That's what I used to do, oh, and roll the gain slightly back from full. And use the solo channel. it won't sound like a rectifier, but it will sound good.

And yeah, everyone's got a POD, so why not pick up a vtwin and be different?

A DUal recto preamp sounds cool, but I am not sure I could justify the cash for it...unless :biggrin:

666 posts! yay!
Old 11-23-2001, 05:51 PM

Oooh, dual recto preamp.. I'd like to see a revised triaxis personally, with more recto-ish tones I need something that can give me nice heavy crunch (lead channel on MarkIV rules for leads, but I hate using it for rythm) and brighten up my clean channel nicely.
Old 11-23-2001, 10:47 PM

There have been rumors (and even a picture) of a "rectifier" rack preamp that surfaced a while back. *I'd be curious to hear out it sounds if they ever do make it.
Old 11-26-2001, 02:54 PM

Reviews: 2

I think One less than none is selling his.

Dave?

Tags
distorted tone, distorted tones, dual recto, mesa boogie, pod pro, rack pre, stomp box

Show/Hide Posting Rules