<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 PM
(a)

Reviews: 10

Mesa Rectoverb 2 Head - Opinions?

I've always wanted a mesa - especially since the new guy in our band has a dual rectifier and it sounds freakin deadly - and a Rectoverb 2 head came up on CL here for $600. What do you guys think? Are these comparable tone wise to the dual rectifiers? It sounds like the main difference is that the rectoverb has one less channel and is 50 watts. Is this Mesa Rectoverb a good head for a good price?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...554770445.html
Old 02-05-2013, 08:54 PM

Re: Mesa Rectoverb 2 Head - Opinions?

It's my favorite rectifier I've ever played so far. IMO you can't go wrong with any rectifier, but that is deal, take it!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:18 PM

i had a 50 watt regular recto and loved it. I paid 750 for it and sold it for 750. so that is a deal . the rectoverb supposedly has a better clean than most other rectos and the cool thing about the 50 watt is it cheap to retube and can take a number of different power tubes. The rectos sound great and are tanks. Go for it.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:27 PM
(a)

thanks guys - I'm seriously thinking about going for it because it sounds like a good price so even if I don't love it I could probably sell it for close to $600, if that's what I pay for it.

Anything to watch for with rectos when I go try it out?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:26 PM

They can be trick to dial in but just play around with it. You're guaranteed to find a tone you'l love.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:04 PM
(a)

thanks for the info I think I'm gonna respond to the ad and see if I can go try it out
Old 02-06-2013, 04:21 PM

I had a recto for a while, bear in mind you will need to ay it loudly to get the most out of it especially because its a mesa.

They pop up fairly frequently at cheap prices on our CL too so pass on it of anything seems wrong and another will pop up.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:08 PM
(a)

hey guys, I heard an expert opinion today regarding mesa rectifier amps and I was told that they do not take pedals well. Is this true? I have quite a few pedals that i like...mxr micro flanger, DOD phasor, compressor on cleans, etc.

Anyone ever try a distortion pedal into the clean channel of a rectifier? I know that may seem a little counter intuitive but I do like the compression and character of some of my distortion pedals for certain things.

thoughts?
Old 02-06-2013, 11:21 PM

They have an odd FX loop, it can be a bit of a pain in the ass to deal with but putting pedals in front of the amp IE Guitar->TS9->Amp is totally fine.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:54 AM

Reviews: 12

Their effects loop are parallel and do not take pedals well. But they sound just fine in front of the amp.
Either boost the gain channel with an overdrive pedal for crushing modern metal tones, or combine the amps gain/crunch with a nice distortion pedal for another option.
I don't like distortion pedals in front of the clean channel of my Recto, but love stacking my OCD pedal with it's gain set halfway on top of a low gain setting on the Recto's modern channel.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:10 AM

Yup, a tubescreamer style boost in front of a recto makes for awesome high gain tones. It used to be my rig before I switched out to what Im using now.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:30 AM

i can't speak for the effects loop, but can say the front end does ok with pedals.

I disagree that is has to be loud in order to get good sounds out of it. I played my recto at low volume 100% of the time and it sounded great. The same with my mark III.

If you are concerned about the volume versus tone you may consider getting using 6v6s in the power section. They break up at a lower volume but still have simular sound to the 6L6s. Again that is the great thing about a single recto is it can take a number of power tubes and still be within spec. check www.eurotubes.com for more info on what the rectoverb line can take.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:24 PM
(a)

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I tried the rectoverb on the weekend and my first impressions were that it had a very nice clean channel but I didn't think the reverb sounded as good as the reverb on my Carvin Legacy. The dirty channel had some nice crunch tones for classic rock but the modern setting didn't really turn me on - until the guy switched on a Xotic BB pre-amp between the guitar and the amp and then I started to hear the big crunchy mesa rectiifier sounds.

Overall I was a little disappointed because the other guitar player in our band has a mesa lonestar combo and his sounds great without any pedals so I was a little disappointed that the rectoverb needed a pedal to get that big Mesa crunch going.

In any case, the guy who let me try it out was a very nice and gracious man but I haven't pulled the trigger on buying it yet because I'm not quite sure about it....still pondering... =0/
Old 02-12-2013, 03:36 PM

the recto like most other mesa amps is a little different when it comes to setting the EQ. I am not sure if you have played with a lot of mesa amps but a lot of new users fail to understand that the most powerful control is the treble control.

I usually set mine at like 8 or 8.5 out of 10. Lower bass at around 4 and the same for mids. Use the presence to determin the amount of cut you want in the treble itself.

if you dont have a lot of experience look up the user manuel if you havn't already for recommended settings.

If you still aren't getting the recto sound you think you should, it could be tubes.

comparing the lone star to recto isn't really fair just because either amp does what is was designed to do extremly well. The lone star has a big bold sparkling clean, and smooth fluid medium gain. The rectoverb has nicer cleans, but was designed to be a rock/metal amp.

you medium ground is a mesa road king. It has the lone star clean with all the recto crunch you could ask for.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:56 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
the recto like most other mesa amps is a little different when it comes to setting the EQ. I am not sure if you have played with a lot of mesa amps but a lot of new users fail to understand that the most powerful control is the treble control.

I usually set mine at like 8 or 8.5 out of 10. Lower bass at around 4 and the same for mids. Use the presence to determin the amount of cut you want in the treble itself.

if you dont have a lot of experience look up the user manuel if you havn't already for recommended settings.

If you still aren't getting the recto sound you think you should, it could be tubes.

comparing the lone star to recto isn't really fair just because either amp does what is was designed to do extremly well. The lone star has a big bold sparkling clean, and smooth fluid medium gain. The rectoverb has nicer cleans, but was designed to be a rock/metal amp.

you medium ground is a mesa road king. It has the lone star clean with all the recto crunch you could ask for.
very good feeedback and points - I appreciate your points about the eq and that was the first time I had ever plugged into a mesa so I'm pretty sure that if I had more time to play with the eq I could have gotten more out of the amp. I also couldnt turn it up too loud in the guy's office and I know from experience that a 50 watt tube amp needs to be turned up a bit to really get to know what it can do. The Road king and Lone star both sound like good options but I would have a hard time finding those for the $500 price that I can probably get this rectoverb for.

Tags
mesa boogie

Show/Hide Posting Rules