Ibanez JEM Forum banner
5K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  Phishphood42 
#1 · (Edited)
Well just dropped off here at work I got my Peavey Valveking 2x12 amp..

Anyone else here use peavey valvekings? I cant wait to get this home tonight at 9pm est to fire it up..

I took eddieuv's recommendation and seen an read alot of good stuff about it.. I bought online from AMS so I could do the payment plan..

I would appreciate anyones comments good or bad.

#3 ·
Great amps. Played them, several times, and they are getting great reviews around the net. One thing I hear, from time to time, is to watch out for the stock speakers. Apparently, they tend to be the weak point, and give you a case of the "farts". I find the A-A/B knob in the back rather pointless, even thought they promote the HELL out of it.
I'm gearing up for a tube head purchase, soon. The Valveking 100 head is on the list. Tried one out, halfstack formation, and was quite impressed. Definitely a good bang for your buck.

#8 ·
I think they are nice for the price but for anyone that needs a rugged amp for regular gigging might want to check other options, Classic Series, JSX, 6505, ect.

#9 ·
i was impressed with the VK for its price.. i was originally turned off because everytime i played it, the frickin idiots at everystore i tried it, either had it tilted, or elevated... i absolutely cannot stand that.. so anyways, i originally thought it was a bit weak and didnt have the balls.. but i have played them again since.. good boost feature.. think it would be a real good amp if u had high output pickups in ur axe.. not really a metal amp but could be good for lead.

#10 ·
You do loose bass response when lifted or tilted but you have to aim the speaker so you can hear it. You don't get a good idea of it's true sound if it blows past your knees.

I always use a speaker stand when I use my small combo(s) and I leave my cabs at home for shows where I'm not far enough away from my speaker cab to hear it - it blows past my knees if I'm only a few feet from it on smaller stages. I bring out the amp stand and my 1x12 combo for those gigs.

I guess you can sit the amp on the floor and sit on the floor in front of it and ask the audience to sit in front of the stage (just ribbin' ya, but I think you got my point ;) ).

#11 ·
Well, I haven't tried it out yet, but my local music store has a VK112 and 212, and no one plays on them...they're just sitting there waiting to be plugged in and tried out, so I think I'm going to test drive them soon. I have been using a Peavey Bandit 112 for like the past 7 years and I think it's time to upgrade. How much better is this all-tube combo going to sound? I mean I've been pretty happy with my Bandit, but it's time for some tubes, baby.

Oh, and my guitars are an RG 20th and a Fender Double Fat Strat with 2 Seymour Duncans - so any info on how the VK112 or 212 will sound with them would be great.

#13 ·
I have been using a Peavey Bandit 112 for like the past 7 years and I think it's time to upgrade. How much better is this all-tube combo going to sound? .
Tubes have a natural compression to them and are more organic with the sound IMHO. Most SS amps sound sterile in comparison to me.

You might really like it - it is a fair amp for the $. Let us know how you fair.

BTW MM, don't plug into any expensive amps before you try out the VK. Play the VK first otherwise your opinion will be seriously tainted. kinda like going in a store to buy an acoustic and finding a nice $200 solid top and after playing the $2000 solid top it might not sound as nice anymore.

Just my 2cents. ;)

#14 ·
Awesome - I am looking for something a little more organic. Ha, too late...I've already tried out their JSX half-stack - I loved that thing, but I'd be happy getting half as good of a sound out of the VK.

Also, would the 112 or the 212 be better for me? I live in an apt both my rents and for one more year of college and then I'll be out on my own...I would like to start gigging seriously soon as well...is the 212 overkill?

#15 ·
You can always mic the 1x12 and it is also cheaper and easier to carry around. I use 1x12's and will probably never own another 2x12 combo unless I just come across a sick deal on something.

#17 ·
Two speakers = more sound and the bigger cab might give a tad more bottom but not really enough to quantify buying it over the 1x12 in my personal opinion.

#20 ·
Try maybe $100-$150 IF it's still in reasonable cosmetic and working condition. If you like it just keep it for a backup, you will be happy you did.

#25 ·
That would ROCK especially if you have any stereo pedals like chorus or delay. I used to do that and was in heaven with the fat tones I got from a chorus in stereo....mmmMMmmmm...delicious!

#29 ·
I would LOVE to do that, but I have a year left of school and can't obviously work a full time job during the year, so the means for buying something like that aren't there right now. I'd be fine with buying the VK112 and using it for a few years and when I'm financially secure I could snag the JSX. And the VK isn't too pricy so it's not like I wouldn't get my money's worth out of it in a few years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.