<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:20 PM

New tubes for a Peavey Valveking?

Hey,
I want to change the tubes in my VK, currently I'm haveing EHX 12AX7(wich are not the best), and Ruby 6L6GC
I've heard a lot of good about the tung-sol 12ax7, and a lot of good abut the svetlana winged c(these are pricey)
I want a sound that that a good midrange chunk, something that helps me achieve a "juicy" sound, has nice smooth highs, not like the ice picky harsh one like the EH-s, and a nig tigh bottom end.
Also I've red that it is good to put a 12AT7 in V3 position, gives a tighter sound.
What would you guys recommend?
Old 11-21-2012, 10:36 PM

Reviews: 15

Re: New tubes for a Peavey Valveking?

you might have seen this site already, but here it goes: valveking.wikispaces.com/Tube+Swap+Information" target="_blank">http://ultimate-guitar-<a href="http...ap+Information

I've been wanting to change tubes in my valveking as well, but can't decide between JJ and the tung-sol.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:45 AM

I had the jj's in mine. They sounded great especially when you use the other tricks on the site mentioned above. I.e. Plugging in to input 2 and put a dummy jack in input 1, patch cable in the fx loop if your not using it and my favourite was using a tube screamer with the volume full and gain on 0. Its a great amp once you sort it out.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:16 PM

The JJ 12ax7 (ecc83), and the tung sol 12ax7 (the regulars)... are the 2 preamp tubes that I love.

The JJs are gonna give you a high gain distortion like no other, I love how they feel in my fingers... Amps with a decent gain channel can be transformed into a "Awesome" after swap some JJs...

The tung sols 12ax7 are pure tone. They don't have that high gain that the JJs (that's sad for me), but if you got an amp that really need more "tone", this tube is gonna give it to you.
You can use both tubes, one in v1, another in v2 and mix them... Both are very solid 12ax7.

BTW: Stay away of the "gold" tubes, they are way more bright... they are not for instruments, more for audio...
Old 11-23-2012, 05:15 AM

I have always had great luck with JJ tubes. I always try and buy them from

www.eurotubes.com

i have never been let down by either bob at eurotubes or JJ.

He also has different package sets that offer different tonal variations including a high gain option if you want more out of your amp.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:07 PM

How do the JJ vs Tung-Sol 6L6GC-s compare? The Sevtalan Winged C tubes are a bit pricey :S
Old 11-24-2012, 03:55 AM

Reviews: 11

I hate to say it but that Valveking will always be a Valveking, you know? New tubes don't change that much unless you get a COMPLETELY different tube. Like a KT88 or something.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.M.RG7620 View Post
I hate to say it but that Valveking will always be a Valveking, you know? New tubes don't change that much unless you get a COMPLETELY different tube. Like a KT88 or something.
while true in part, i have found that tubes can make a large difference. Not all 6l6s are made the exact same way and other varients of the same tube can make a difference. They wont change the whole dynamic of the amp but can add depth or crunch. This is particularly true with fixed bias amps. Running a power tube rated closer to the bias of the amp will greatly improve both clean and distortion. Pre-amp tubes alter the way the signal is clipped and are rated to reflect that ability.

so you can add depth, gain, clarity and crunch but like i said the dynamics(overall feel) wont change a whole lot.

One thing that some times gets left out of the tone search is speakers. Speakers are a huge part of your sound and can greatly change your tone. They aren't too expensive and there are so many good choices out there.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:24 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
while true in part, i have found that tubes can make a large difference. Not all 6l6s are made the exact same way and other varients of the same tube can make a difference. They wont change the whole dynamic of the amp but can add depth or crunch. This is particularly true with fixed bias amps. Running a power tube rated closer to the bias of the amp will greatly improve both clean and distortion. Pre-amp tubes alter the way the signal is clipped and are rated to reflect that ability.

so you can add depth, gain, clarity and crunch but like i said the dynamics(overall feel) wont change a whole lot.

One thing that some times gets left out of the tone search is speakers. Speakers are a huge part of your sound and can greatly change your tone. They aren't too expensive and there are so many good choices out there.
Everything he said about the tube section is correct and also have to agree with trying different speaker, I had 2 Celestion V30 in a Mesa 2x12 and swap 1 out for a G12T75 to get more bottom end.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:46 AM

Reviews: 6

Instead of the 6L6, maybe try the 6550 tubes instead. The 6550 have higher headroom than 6L6 and last longer than 6L6.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:17 PM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
I have always had great luck with JJ tubes. I always try and buy them from

www.eurotubes.com

i have never been let down by either bob at eurotubes or JJ.

He also has different package sets that offer different tonal variations including a high gain option if you want more out of your amp.
Holy crap I wish I had known about this place before. I just spent the week in that area. After looking at a map I was about 20 minutes away. Maybe next time.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:30 PM

Anyone tried 12AT7 in V3?
Will there be volume loss, will it be cleaner?
How good are the JJ 12AT7s are? I haven't red too much good about them. But I can only get EH or JJ
Old 12-02-2012, 02:58 PM

i pulled this from the following link

http://www.eurotubes.com/eurotubes-t...-6550-KT88.htm

"I will occasionally use a 12AT7 or a 12AU7 in an amp that has a gain channel thatís over the top like my 5150 or Prosonic. In the Prosonic gain stage I use an ECC81 (12AT7) to calm it down a little but I stay a way from subbing a lower value tube in the clean channel because it usually takes away the sparkle and even adds a little noise. An ECC82 (12AU7) in place of a 12AT7 in the reverb is sometimes nice if you donít use a lot of verb.

If your trying to cut the gain in your amps drive channel you might be interested in a hybrid tube I'm using in my Prosonic and 5150 to cut the gain, it's called the JJ ECC832 which is a 12DW7. This tube is half of an ECC83S ( 12AX7 ) and half of an ECC82 ( 12AU7 ). I have one of them in my Prosonic in V2. This actually sounds VERY nice in amps that cascade the gain through several preamp tubes. It cuts down the gain by about 40% but retains a nice crisp attack and warm tone where just dropping down to a 12AT7 seems to dull the tone a bit. I've got lots of players using the ECC832 in one or two of the gain stages in everything from the Mesa Triaxis to Peavey Triple X amps with great results. "

i think the au7 cuts more gain, the at7 still cuts the gain but not as much. I know i found info on the different 12--7 varients but i dont remember where.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:10 PM

I think I'm going to put tung-sol 12ax7 in v1 and v2, but what about v3?

http://www.etronic-parts.com/product...i-da---GE.html

Can I put this in V3??

Or would be a JJ12AT7 be better? Or just a Tung-Sol 12AX7 as well?
I don't wan to really lower the gain, I want to make it tighter

Tags
valveking

Show/Hide Posting Rules