Original Floyd Rose Concern (A Fake?) - Jemsite
Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Red face Original Floyd Rose Concern (A Fake?)

Hi All, I just need some help to put some fears to bed. I just bought an Original Floyd Rose off a reputable dealer (I won't mention at the moment). The construction looks good and the Made in Germany stamp is clear, but I became a bit concerned after I noticed the font used for the "Floyd Rose" logo seemed a bit off.

Anyway I have taken some pictures in the hope that there may be some people here that can tell me why the font maybe different than the pics I can find on the internet.

http://www.hammer-software.com/gliss...MG_3973-sm.JPG
http://www.hammer-software.com/gliss...MG_3977-sm.JPG
http://www.hammer-software.com/gliss...MG_3969-sm.JPG
http://www.hammer-software.com/gliss...MG_3964-sm.JPG
http://www.hammer-software.com/gliss...MG_3961-sm.JPG

Last edited by hammer; 03-12-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 04:28 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: Original Floyd Rose Concern (A Fake?)

Looks like a legit Schaller OFR to me...

Jimmy
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks, I'm still confused though.

Here is an Original Floyd Rose image:
http://www.meanstreetguitars.com/Flo...ng_Tremolo.gif

Check the difference in the font here:
http://www.hammer-software.com/gliss...MG_3973-sm.JPG

Also the metal looks quite different, the version I have has a fair amount of pitting compared to the other pics I can find.

Is there more than one version of the Original Floyd Rose (besides the different finishes)?

I'm sorry to keep asking questions but I had my heart set on an OFR (for my beloved RG470) and just want to make sure that's what I have

Last edited by hammer; 03-12-2013 at 06:57 PM.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
Here is an Original Floyd Rose image:
http://www.meanstreetguitars.com/Flo...ng_Tremolo.gif
That is a Ping Floyd Rose. A cheap version.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
That is a Ping Floyd Rose. A cheap version.
Ok sorry, here is a photo from the Floyd Rose site:
http://www.floydrose.com/bridges/ima...-200_Black.jpg

From this photo they look almost identical except for the "Floyd Rose" font.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 09:28 PM

Is this a "lawsuit" Floyd? If it's too close then there may be an issue. The original image doesn't look like any Floyd font I have seen.

I had a fake Kahler and though it worked really well, it was stopped from being made. I didn't pay much so I wasn't out anything. I hope you didn't put out too much for the Floyd.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Ok sorry, here is a photo from the Floyd Rose site:
http://www.floydrose.com/bridges/ima...-200_Black.jpg

From this photo they look almost identical except for the "Floyd Rose" font.
I can't tell if the black one is real or not. I just know the one I quoted is a ping. I have on on a MIM Strat of mine. I did a long search way back to find out what kind it was. It stays in tune so but I don't wammy much. The fine tuner range of motion is not much. The saddle bottoms out as the fine tuner gets about half way down.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Is this a "lawsuit" Floyd? If it's too close then there may be an issue. The original image doesn't look like any Floyd font I have seen.

I had a fake Kahler and though it worked really well, it was stopped from being made. I didn't pay much so I wasn't out anything. I hope you didn't put out too much for the Floyd.
I paid standard retail price from a large reputable dealer... you would know them. Clearly described as "Original Floyd Rose".
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I paid standard retail price from a large reputable dealer... you would know them. Clearly described as "Original Floyd Rose".
Did the owner recently run for president??

Anyway, maybe they changed their logo or have more than one. The only Floyd Rose that is not one but has the right to bear the Floyd Rose name are the ones made by Ping but supervised by Floyd. They have the addition of a more expensive brass block adding more sustain. I don't know of Schaller having the naming right, too.

The picture shows what appears to be high quality parts equal to that of a Floyd Original series, so the different logo puzzles me. Only time will tell when you see others like it. Maybe Schaller drew up a contract with Floyd and your trem is the result. Hopefully at the end of the day your trem works well enough to justify what you paid for it.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 03-12-2013 at 11:40 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 11:41 PM

Reviews: 120

Schaller are the ones who make the Official Floyd Rose bridges, have been for years.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:34 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Did the owner recently run for president??

Anyway, maybe they changed their logo or have more than one. The only Floyd Rose that is not one but has the right to bear the Floyd Rose name are the ones made by Ping but supervised by Floyd. They have the addition of a more expensive brass block adding more sustain. I don't know of Schaller having the naming right, too.
The OFR block is brass as well, but with a coating so it doesn't tarnish.

As well, the Ping isn't a "cheap" one -- those are well made bridges.

As for the bridge, look at the knife edges on the bridge from the FR site, and the one you've got -- they don't look the same. I'd be returning it just in case.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 07:09 PM

I hope for two things. First that Floyd gave the right to use name and secondly that the big name store has the right to sell it as an original Floyd Rose.

I know of later Schallers that had the contract once and maybe still do, and then there are the Pings with the legal right. Maybe there's another player in the game.

Also at one time Floyd Rose was owned by Fender and only put on Fender guitars but that's no longer the case (at least with only Fenders having the trem). While I love Fender it's nice that Floyds can be found on several different makes and models these days.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. The version I have seems to have a brass block that is coated in a silvery metal. The bag implies it was made by Schaller. Looks almost identical to the OFR on the FR site... the only real question is the strange logo/font. I'm hoping Schaller introduced some new tooling and has changed the logo. Anyway I think I will install it.

Oh, and reviews on the "big name" store's website are glowing and they seem fairly genuine as well (not that you really know).
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 12:12 AM

Reviews: 10

I went through this very issue. Thats a real floyd rose trem. 700 of the six string trem plates were stamped wrong. Floyd rose will confirm this if you send their customer support an email concerning the issue, as I did. Warmoth has these very trems in stock. You will see the '1984' trems with the wrong stamp as well. The German produced OFR six string plates are the only product affected with the wrong stamp.

We wont see the normal floyd rose stamped logos until all remaining stock is used. Kurt @ Squid Music in CA has delt with customers refusing the wrong stamped plates. I refused mine as well from Warmoth and they claimed to have checked their whole stock looking for the traditional logo'd trem for me to no avail. I do feel they look like knock offs. But they felt and played every bit as well as any of my other Floyd trems

Hope that help clear up any confusion.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Hey bhuard75 thanks! I was hoping someone may have come across the same issue.

I put the trem in tonight, all went pretty uneventful. I also took some pics that I might put into a thread later.

Anyway I'm glad that got sorted. Pitty though, I did like that original logo.

Tags
fake , floyd rose , logo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode