Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Peavey Bandit 112 crapped out...

17K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  richard1973 
#1 ·
So I've had my Bandit 112 since about '99 or 2000 and just today, while I was playing it started cutting out, and finally nothing really comes out of it. If I put my ear right up to the speaker I can kinda hear something, but barely. I've checked to make sure it's not the guitar, because I tried with a few different guitars and it's not the cables either, b/c I did the same thing.

Did it just run it's course and die? Or is there something I can do to fix it?

I have been looking for an excuse to get a better amp, but I would like to keep using this one if I can - this is the first time it let me down.

#6 ·
Twisting the pots didn't do anything - I didn't really think it would...I don't know how dirt would have gotten in there.

Anyway, I tried it out this morning, and my amp worked fine for about 10 minutes and then it crapped out again. Like I said, if I put my ear right up to the speaker I can hear my guitar faintly but that's it.

#12 ·
no seriously jemplayer -give the guy a break. i understood everything he was asking, even though i don't play a peavey amp. his questions were well rounded and asked.
he obviously knows what pots are on a guitar, but didn't know they are called the same on the amp [neither did i]

his q's were legitimate, this forum is where people can discuss stuff and get help - your comments didn't help

#13 ·
Come on now..... lighten up..... No one's "busting your balls". Just trying to "head" you in a more logical direction. Plus, gather more info about you and your amp!

Besides, if you haven't found the information or "heads up" off the Peavey forum....... you'll more than likely NOT find it here then. Wouldn't that seem a pretty logical assumption?

Just trying to get ya to cut through the "cheese" :lol: and send you in a more logical direction!

Wasn't it DLR who once said "one break comin up".....? :lol:

#14 ·
We're cool jemplayer55 :) Don't worry about it...

Just thought I'd let people know I figured out what's wrong with the help of someone on the Peavey forum...turns out there was some oxidation in the return input of the effects loop - pretty common bug among Peavey amps, apparently.

Just have to get some contact cleaner and fix that puppy up, and I'll be good to go. Thanks, guys!

#17 ·
Ahhh.... that "good ol" co-contact cleaner! Great for cleaning out pots too. (ALL) Well basically any electronic equipment. Just be sure it's powered down and unplugged!

Hey glad you got the info you needed..... when all else fails I usually try the manufacturers forums. Most of the time you won't get led astray! :lol:

#15 ·
Just to add, i've also got a Peavey Bandit 112, and sometimes the sound cuts out, and I have to wobble the guitar cable going into the input socket to get it working again. I assume this is a general problem an amp may have. I've checked with various guitar cables new and old and different guitars. Any ideas what maybe causing it? Is there a loose connection in the amp or is dirt in??

#16 ·
It sounds like the exact same problem I'm having, except I have to wobble the cable going into the return of the effects loop. I don't think it's the cables - it's probable the same as mine. I haven't tried it yet, but apparently if you get some electronics contact cleaner and use it to clean under where the jack meets the amp and the jack itself, it should be fine. Let me know how that works for you!

#18 ·
At his point it could be about anything. That's why I called pots, something that happens a lot and is easily fixable, same with faulty input jacks. You might check the speaker contacts. But My guess is going to a leaky cap in the powerstage. Something that's not easily diagnosed/fixed at home.

Good luck with the amp ! Keep us posted.

#22 ·
Okay, now that you've all had your fun ...... Have you followed the logical troubleshooting path? That is, try a different set of everything except the amp - all new leads, another guitar, even plugging the amp into another speaker cab - okay, does it work now? try running the effects send into, say, your stereos aux in - if you get the basic pre-amp tone, then your power amp has died, if you get nothing, it's either power supply or pre-amp, try plugging your guitar into something that gives you a lot of gain, then into the effects return - do you get output at the speakers - if so, it's a pre-amp based issue.

If you seem to be having an issue with a jack socket on the effects loop - most likely the socket has finally died - they are not difficult to replace, however the capacitors in the power supply will store mains level power for A LONG TIME - and if you touch the wrong thing in the amp's innards, you can give yourself a horrible, even fatal jolt.

The moral of the story? Guitars, electrically, are easy and safe to tool around with - micro voltages here, and really nothing you can screw up irreparably - amps, however, are full of things that you can easily destroy, or that incorrectly fixed can potentially destroy most of the amp's innards, they run on mains current, their power supply capacitors will hold a charge for ages after you switch off the amp, and if you are going to get into the amp's innards, you really should know how to drain this residual power before you start - if you either a) don't know how to do this or b) don't know what I'm talking about, I really suggest you employ the services of a decent tech!

Cheers

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.