<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:16 PM

Peavey Classic 50....mod?

Today I had a crazy idea while I was searching for amps. I really like the Classic 50 because it has a great clean and a great distortion, although I was thinking...is it possible to add more gain to the lead channel? I mean, the thing only has 3 12AX7's and I figure, if someone knew how to say, put in an exra two or three so you could have the original three for the clean and all 5 for the lead, you'd have a cross between a Calssic 50 but with a 5150 lead channel. Although it would be a big mod, you'd have to change a bunch of stuff to compensate for the power consumption of the extra one or two tubes. I don't know, just an idea .
Old 04-12-2005, 04:45 PM

Re: Peavey Classic 50....mod?

I am sure it could be done, however the amp may not be made to handle more than 3 12AX7s so you may have to replace a lot of **** like the transformer. I doubt that would be a problem, but sometimes it is.

You could also boost the input a bit, that will up the gain level. But it will never be a high gain amp.

I finally played a Classic 30... sounded pretty good clean and mildly overdriven with a strat!

Last edited by red5; 04-12-2005 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:35 PM

I don't remember the web address, but, there is a website dedicated to mods for these amps. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:39 PM

Take a look at this link. There's a mod that involves taking away the bright input, and results in more gain. There are also a few for the Classic 30, that might work for the 50, as well. ...I Think.

http://blueguitar.org/articles.htm
Old 04-12-2005, 06:45 PM

I wonder if you put a bias pot in there, and ran it a bit hotter, if thatwould give the desired results? (Just thinking out loud)

No matter what, these sure are some nice sounding amps, aren't they?

I used to run my Classic 50 with my Super Overdrive for a bit more gain, and it sounded great! I also had a Classic 20, that I used to carry around for jams. That little sucker really kept up, and came alive when I cranked it! Just something missing in the mids, IMHO. If I could have just gotten a little more oomph out out of them, they would have been perfect!

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2005, 09:04 AM

A OD pedal / treble booster might sound pretty good with it.

Id take it to the store to try out pedals and see what works and what doesn't...
Old 04-14-2005, 10:25 AM

You know, the JS-X is basically a Classic-50 with a higher gain lead channel...
Old 04-14-2005, 01:25 PM

Yeah, but I don't want the XXX lead channel. Doesn't do it for me. To be honest, the best choices in an amp for me are
Classic 50
Fender Twin Amp
Carvin Legacy
all 2X12 combos and all have great sounds. Although I don't know where I can try out a Carvin, anybody know? I want to test it out before I say anything about them, but they don't go through retail stores, so it's hard. Anyway, a 2 channel amp that can do good clean and mildly distorted stuff is what I need, but I also need that extra push for hard rock stuff. I could do the pedal thing, but I'd prefer to have it so the amp can take care of all the distortion. I love the whole turn the volume down on the guitar and get clean sounds thing, but when you turn it all the way up, I want it to be a good strong sound. I'm going to have to check out that mod site too.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:06 PM

You would have to go to one of Carvin's showrooms, to try out any of their products. All of them are in California, though...
Old 04-14-2005, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
You know, the JS-X is basically a Classic-50 with a higher gain lead channel...
I've heard that before, havent yet played one...
Old 04-14-2005, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetorian
Yeah, but I don't want the XXX lead channel. Doesn't do it for me. To be honest, the best choices in an amp for me are
Classic 50
Fender Twin Amp
Carvin Legacy
all 2X12 combos and all have great sounds. Although I don't know where I can try out a Carvin, anybody know? I want to test it out before I say anything about them, but they don't go through retail stores, so it's hard. Anyway, a 2 channel amp that can do good clean and mildly distorted stuff is what I need, but I also need that extra push for hard rock stuff. I could do the pedal thing, but I'd prefer to have it so the amp can take care of all the distortion. I love the whole turn the volume down on the guitar and get clean sounds thing, but when you turn it all the way up, I want it to be a good strong sound. I'm going to have to check out that mod site too.
The Ultra Channel on the JSX is like the crunch channel on the XXX. The crunch is a hot-rodded Classic 50. It's an awesome amp.

BTW the Classic 30 and 50 only use 2 of the preamp tubes for gain and tone shaping, the third is a driver for the power amp.

I'm gonna check out the mod site too...
Old 04-14-2005, 11:05 PM

^ ditto. JSX amber channel is a hot rodded Classic 50. Or go to http://www.voodooamps.com/
Old 04-15-2005, 08:25 PM

Voodoo amps is very interesting. I might start with getting a Clssic 50 and seeing if I like it how it is, but if I really wanted to put some gain into it without a pedal, that would be the way to go. Now, as far as the whole Carvin thing goes...how would you describe the sound of the Legacy? Is the clean channel clear or dark or Fender-like or Marshall-like...etc. as well as the distortion channel. Maybe then I'll get the idea. But you know, the JS-X is sounding better and better. I sort of liked it from the beginning, but I just can't stand the enormous J it has on the front. It's like saying, "hey, I wish I was Joe" while just sitting there. Lol. But looks aside it does sound like it has everything I would want in it. 3 channels, nice clean, Classic 50 rythm and hot Classic 50 lead. Excellent. In fact, can't get any better.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVampire
^ ditto. JSX amber channel is a hot rodded Classic 50. Or go to http://www.voodooamps.com/
Oh I bet they could come up with something nice with that. I have never played a Voodoo modded amp but Ive heard some sound clips recorded with them and they sound good and have heard many good things about them!
Old 04-16-2005, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetorian
Voodoo amps is very interesting. I might start with getting a Clssic 50 and seeing if I like it how it is, but if I really wanted to put some gain into it without a pedal, that would be the way to go. Now, as far as the whole Carvin thing goes...how would you describe the sound of the Legacy? Is the clean channel clear or dark or Fender-like or Marshall-like...etc. as well as the distortion channel. Maybe then I'll get the idea. But you know, the JS-X is sounding better and better. I sort of liked it from the beginning, but I just can't stand the enormous J it has on the front. It's like saying, "hey, I wish I was Joe" while just sitting there. Lol. But looks aside it does sound like it has everything I would want in it. 3 channels, nice clean, Classic 50 rythm and hot Classic 50 lead. Excellent. In fact, can't get any better.
My friend had a Legacy with EL34s in it. It just did not work with any of our guitars with humbuckers at all, but it got good cleans and a really good distorted tone with his telecaster. I would group it more on the Mesa side (like a Nomad or something not a recto) than Marshall though even with the EL34s in it. Pretty tight sounding amp, which is probably why it sounded so good with the telecaster.

I think the JSX may be what you want though. Just tear off the logo and put your own name or logo on it instead ;-_

Tags
distorted tone, fender twin, high gain amp, power amp, preamp tube, super overdrive

Show/Hide Posting Rules