Pedal Board Ideas - Jemsite
Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Pedal Board Ideas

I currently own a digitech rp250 and ive decided to start a non-multieffefects pedal board, i believe the term is analogue.
So I have been wondering where to start, my main amp is a Roland 80x and i manly play my jem and a Brian May Red Special. I am aming for a very classic rock sound, of the likes of Jimmy Page the sort for soloing and that unbeatable rock riffing.

Which pedals should I buy?

P.S Sorry if im a bit vague but all ideas are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 04:09 PM

Re: Pedal Board Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberfet6789 View Post
I currently own a digitech rp250 and ive decided to start a non-multieffefects pedal board, i believe the term is analogue.
So I have been wondering where to start, my main amp is a Roland 80x and i manly play my jem and a Brian May Red Special. I am aming for a very classic rock sound, of the likes of Jimmy Page the sort for soloing and that unbeatable rock riffing.

Which pedals should I buy?

P.S Sorry if im a bit vague but all ideas are welcome.

You can start with this:

1.- Analog delay
2.- Overdrive-distortion
3.- Noise reduction
4.- Buffer... to avoid those "sucking tone" problems
those are the basic

5.- Compressor (most for the clean sounds)
6.- Reverb pedal (if your amp doesn't have a reverb).
7.- Others...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 08:30 PM

Reviews: 18

Well, what kind of budget are you working with? Determining how much money you're trying to spend will help you narrow down the scope of the pedalboard.

Jimmy
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

That's pretty vague. Narrow your main effects needs down a bit with the above suggestions.
For a Brian May type tone--go with an old Rangemaster treble booster and one of the Vox type overdrives.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:45 PM

definitely check out the new BBP comp. pedal. My friend got one and raved about it so I bought one and its the single best music related item i ever bought. Whatever amp you are playing through,,it makes it sound a million times better. I'm moving so much air that its ridiculous. Oh and I'm a huge Page guy as well. you may also want to look in the new Page pedal
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2

In regard to the budget, id say no over 120 for a pedal. Im planning on building up the board slowly. So far i've got my eyes(or ears) set on the Boss SD-1 and Boss CS-3. As for analog dealy im having some trouble finding one in my price range. And would it be possible to use the noise gate on my Digitech Rp250? or would that ruin the sound on the whole.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberfet6789 View Post
As for analog dealy im having some trouble finding one in my price range.

If you really want to sound good, man, don't pick a cheap delay...

For me, this is one of the best analog delays out there:

This is the old deluxe memory man, made by electro harmonix. The new version of this delay that electro harmonix are making is not even close to this old beast, the old memory man with the philips chips, many guitar players use this OLD memory man.
The delay is fat, organic and musical. You can get one of this old memory mans on ebay for like 300... but trust me, this will be the best 300 you will ever spend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fosr3B0p79A

Don't even try to look for the new version of memory mans that electro harmonix are making, they sucks, not like this one.

if you want a delay a little more cheap but still really good, check the wampler analog echo, for me is the best of both worlds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6ItkhKvo9M

cheers.

Last edited by Hating-pyramids; 05-06-2012 at 10:09 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 AM

if you going the cheaper route, look into a boss power stack. great gain pedal
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 03:42 AM

Reviews: 120

For analogue delays that don't break the bank check out the Malekko Ekko 616. Awesome analogue delay with great modulation too.

For overdrive get a Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive, this is an amazing OD, especially for the money.

Can't go wrong with an MXR Phase 90 or Micro Flanger for modulation. I love my Micro Flanger.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:40 AM

Reviews: 18

I'd look at the Carbon Copy for a cheap analog delay. I'd also look at this page frequently for some good deals:

http://www.godlyke.com/b-stock-guitar-effects

Jimmy

Last edited by jb4674; 05-07-2012 at 12:09 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 05:27 PM

Pedals are so subjective. Everyone's perception of sound is so different, so I would suggest you really take your time and find something you like.

For the most part, you can't go wrong with:

-A solid tuner pedal (Boss, Korg, GFS, etc)
-A nice tube-screamer OD (TS808, TS9)
-RAT/RAT clone
-Fulltone OCD (You can get some AWESOME sounds from this one, very classic rock-esque)
-Analog delay (Carbon copy is perfect, as the guy above me said)

Whatever you decide, remember it's all a process and it's OK to buy/sell/trade and try new things.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 PM

Reviews: 11

Are you looking for effects and stuff (like Phaser or Wah) or just things to tweak your tone (like an Overdrive or an EQ pedal)?

Because the only tone tweaking pedals that you should need are Noise Gates. Anything else means that you need a new amp.

So my suggestion goes out to an ISP Decimator G-String. It really is the best Noise Gate on the planet. It's pretty much two ISP Decimator's in one. One to reduce buzz and one to clean up your playing.

Now, if you're liiking for different effects, then you'll have to be more specific.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 10:36 PM

That BB Comp is one of the best pedals that I have ever played through ever! I have the special edition orange glitter BB Preamp, but I like the Comp better. You cannot go wrong with any of the BB's though.

It may be worth it to save up extra money and buy something geared towards quality. Not that there is anything wrong with buying Boss pedals if you like the tone. I have bought a few Boss pedals, but for a lot of them, I ended up re-buying different ones later.

It's about whatever floats your boat when it really comes down to it. Just make sure that you try out as many pedals as possible so that you can see how they sound and find out what you like.

Just my two cents...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode