Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  jim777 
#1 ·
A few days ago I noticed that my fast alternate picking speed was noticeably slower than normal. I realized my picking technique wasn't affecting my fast playing, it was the pick itself! I used to use .96mm Dunlop Gator picks and I could shred/play fast quite well, but ever since I switched to these 1.16mm Dunlop Gator picks I haven't been up to speed. That was until I tried playing with one of my Fender celluloid medium picks, which was when I noticed it was much easier to play faster. My speed had gone back to it's fastest.

Has anyone else experienced problems like this before?

Do any of you have suggestions as far as what picks I should try?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance! ;)

#2 ·
Picks you should try? That's like asking a complete stranger for food he'd think you'd like. Seriously. Some like their picks small, others big, some want thick gauges, some want light... Personally, I like small and hard, but relatively light picks. Dunlop Jazz III's for winn0r. I used to try the Dunlop Stubby 2.0's, but when I tried out a Jazz III, the flexibility of it made my speed increase in contrast with the stiffness of the Stubby, since it tended to dig into the string.

#10 ·
I'm a Jazz III user myself.

However, it's worth noting that if you have more trouble picking with a THICKER pick, but you can play faster when you go back to a thinner one...

...it IS your technique. It means you're digging in too much when you pick, and switching to the smal;ler-but-thicker Jazz III's could actually slow you up even more.

My advice though is just to do it, and then practice your technique paying specific attention to just how deeply you're digging in.

#12 ·
I'm a Jazz III user myself.

However, it's worth noting that if you have more trouble picking with a THICKER pick, but you can play faster when you go back to a thinner one...

...it IS your technique. It means you're digging in too much when you pick, and switching to the smal;ler-but-thicker Jazz III's could actually slow you up even more.

My advice though is just to do it, and then practice your technique paying specific attention to just how deeply you're digging in.
You're right, I thought about what you said and infact it is my technique. So, I tried different picks and methods of picking and found out that it just depends on what I'm playing and how I play it. Thanks for the advice btw. ;)

#14 ·
i used to use the dunlop tortex jazz sharp heavy...the purple ones, but those were hard as hell to find. i ended up switching to jazz III's. the black ones. i like those better than the red ones, not as slick. they seem to be the prefered shredder pick. i didn't realize this until after i was already using them...9 years ago.

rich

#15 ·
I had problems with other picks moving around on me when I would play, mostly the celluloid kind. I've been using the Dunlop Ultex .73mm and the Dunlop Gator Grip 1.14mm off and on and they seem to work for me. I'm going to start experimenting more with picks so I can get a good feel for what works for my playing. Thanks much for the insight!

#16 ·
the jazz III are textured to limit the pick movement. the tortex i used to use weren't so that was also a plus when i switched. the jazz III have a different reaction to the strings than celluloid picks and attack the string more aggressively. so less effort is needed to get notes. it reduces alot of the strain of the picking hand and the point keeps the picking zone per string tighter. rounded picks have a tendency to be more sloppy due to having to exert more movement to attack the string, especially with the slippery celluloid picks.

rich

#17 ·
I just got a pack of TeckPics from Dunlop the other day. Different to be sure, but a very even and consistent sound from them. I'd only usae them on older guitars though, since they are far more likely to take a chunk out of your guitar (being stainless steel) than tortex pick would be. On my old Strat though, they are pretty nice. If they had a rougher hold like the Brqain picks I'd be tempted to get another pack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.