<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:22 PM

Reviews: 59

Placement of Whammy and Flanger in pedal chain?

Hi guys!

I'll be adding a DigiTech Whammy (4) and an MXR Flanger to my pedal board. The big question is where they would fit best.
The pedal chain today is as follows;
Guitar -> Tuner -> Way -> Distortion -> OD -> EQ -> Reverb -> Delay -> Volume pedal -> Amplifier.

Cheers
Old 12-10-2010, 01:59 PM
(a)

Reviews: 10

Re: Placement of Whammy and Flanger in pedal chain?

Well, there's more than one way you could do this but my first preference would be to put the Whammy in the effects loop....if you don't have an effects loop or don't want to use it then I would put the Whammy first (after the tuner) and the flanger before the delay. The important part with the Whammy is to help keep its tracking spot on and to do this you should have it either first in the chain or in the loop...

If your amp has an effects loop then I would put pitch (& whammy), modulation and delay effects in the loop. this would be even more important if you use gain from your amp...if you set your amp clean and just use pedals for distortion and OD then it's probably not as important to put these in the loop.

Again, there are different possibilities here so others may disagree with my recommendations but that's what I would go with...so, based on your current chain I would add the whammy & flange in like this:

Guitar -> Tuner -> Whammy > Wah -> Distortion -> OD -> EQ -> Reverb -> flanger > Delay -> Volume pedal -> Amplifier
Old 12-10-2010, 02:43 PM

Thank you Dorian. The placement of the Whammy makes sense.
I don't use an FX loop and I only use the clean channel of my amp as the Satchurator gives me a better distorted sound than I get from my distorted channels.
The placement of the flanger is something that makes me curious. I've looked around on the internet and some people swear by placing it before the distortion while others frown upon this. But I don't understand why.

Note that I used to see the flanger effect as something along the lines of a drummers cowbell. I've changed my mind lately after hearing more subtle use of the effect and my usage of the pedal will be subtle flanger for certain solo's and chorus for clean passages.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:02 PM

I usually put the whammy first after my tuner and the Flanger prior to the delay in either the loop or the regular chain depending on my amp. That said, try it in different places and see where you like it best, there's no right answer.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:36 PM
(a)

Reviews: 10

[quote=hp29;1053157]The placement of the flanger is something that makes me curious. I've looked around on the internet and some people swear by placing it before the distortion while others frown upon this. But I don't understand why.quote]

if you place the flanger before the distortion you are likely inviting more noise that's why most players put modulation/time based effects after distortion...if you want a more dramatic flange effect on the distorted signal then you could put the flanger first...it depends on what you're going for...do you want to flange the distorted sound or distort the flanged sound - 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other? perhaps but the way I look at it is the effect is going to effect the sound it receives so I would let OD and distortion do their thing before the signal reaches things like chorus, flange, delay...that's been my approach and it seems to have served me well...but you should try both and see what you like better and then let us know what you think...

One other thing - I noticed that you have OD after distortion - I would recommend placing your OD before your distortion becasue then the OD could be used to drive the distortion for more gain and volume for solo boosts if you like - even if you don't plan on doing this I would still recommend OD before distortion....that's how I've always done it and that's a pretty common way to chain OD and distortion if you look at pro player's pedal boards who have both...

Hope this helps...cheers
Old 12-11-2010, 04:57 AM

Thanks guys. Yeah I tend to switch the OD and Distortion a bit. Can't make up my mind what I prefer really. I sometimes wish the Ice 9 Overdrive could have just a bit more crunch.
Gotta love the eternal questioning and headaches the stomp boxes gives you , eh?
Old 01-03-2011, 09:14 AM

Reviews: 3

i'd put the flanger near the end (after the drive) as it is essentially a delay effect
Old 01-03-2011, 06:04 PM

A flanger makes two very different sound depending on which side of the distortion you put it on. I'd suggest trying both and see which sound you prefer to have. I put my whammy after my distortion and I like it like that, but again, it comes down to what sound you like. Sometimes the "wrong" way makes a really cool sound. Tom Morello's unique wah sound it due to his putting a wah in the effects look which places distortion before it, and that's where that crazy sound comes from.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:19 PM

I have a wah 1st then whammy a then i would have a distorion pedal but i got a multi FX zoom (dont disown them) theyre brilliant but low quality, then i have a morely volume plus then an akia headrush then my crappy line 6 spider 15 or my awsome sont stereo. I find that putting a tuner at the end (b4 the amp) cause it can cut things off. alternatively use an octa switch by carl martin i believe they brilliant all true bypass.
just make sure that the drive is before a delay or a loop pedal I am always swaping buying pedals. this all mainly depends on your amp and the sound you want ive hd over 20 pedals (I'm only 15) but i cant find any i *REALLY* like all the ones ive got are the best for me not anyone else

Last edited by shredderarea67inject; 01-06-2011 at 11:24 PM.

Tags
digitech whammy, mxr flanger, pedal chain

You may also search for:

Show/Hide Posting Rules