<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 05-04-2001, 08:39 AM

Rack Equalizers...

Hi,

I'm feeling the symptons of a common disease, the GAS syndrome, and i'm wondering about buyng a rack EQ for my Jem 7VWH.

I heard that the Boss GE-7 is a very common eq, but i want more option (bands) that i can get with a rack eq.

However, what do you recommend for a guitar, graphic or parametric eq?

In terms of graphic, i was considering the Alesis MEQ-231 or the ART *Model 351 (any opinions on these?). The Alesis has the added benefit of having 2 channels with 31 bands, but i just really need one right now...

Also, i've done some searches on the net about *programable EQ's (the option oh having a preset, for example, for my clean and distortion sound is very cool) but i found no relevant information... Can you guys give some models worth considering (graphic or parametric)?

What are you using (if using any rack EQ at all)?

Thanks,
Armindo Dias
Old 05-04-2001, 09:36 AM

Rack Equalizers...

I have been using the rockman eq for about 10 years and it works great. *It is a 16 band eq. *It really help with the mids. *If you stumble across one I would recommend picking it up.
Out,
Gregory
Old 05-04-2001, 12:51 PM

Rack Equalizers...

I'm not sure about particular models, but parametric EQs can be incredible for shaping your sound. *My Rocktron Piranha preamp has only sweep-able mids, which can significantly change the tone.
Greg
Old 05-04-2001, 01:02 PM

Rack Equalizers...

Yeah, want ever happened to the midi eq's ? An eq is great but what if you want to change settings between channels ?
Does anyone make a multi-effects with programable eq (at least 9 bands) and analog channel switching (for a three channel head) ?
Old 05-04-2001, 01:40 PM

Rack Equalizers...

I use the Alesis MEQ-230 &amp; don't know how I played without it. Highly recomended!!
Old 05-04-2001, 05:44 PM

Reviews: 1

Rack Equalizers...

I have a Rane Midi Eq which I don't think I'll ever sell just because its soo darn cool.
I totally recommend midi !
Bamm
Old 05-05-2001, 02:03 AM

Rack Equalizers...

i used to have an Alesis MEQ 260, they sound ok but they are annoying to configure. I now have a Furman PQ 3. one of the best EQ's i have ever found in its class.
i suggest you check it out.
Rocktron has an old discontinued programmable EQ but i cant remember the name.

peace and God Bless!!

scott
Old 05-05-2001, 05:03 AM

Rack Equalizers...

I too am thinking about an EQ for my rack. I was had a Digitech 2112. The distortion wasn't that great so I sold it, but the EQ section was great. It made a huge difference when tweaking sounds. Unfortunately, many companies have discontinued their MIDI EQ products.

I know that Rane, Peavey, Behringer, and Digitech make or have made MIDI programmable EQs. Anyone know of any others. How about all in one units with good EQs?

Rick
Old 05-05-2001, 07:04 PM

Rack Equalizers...

I use a Digitech MIDI graphic EQ, a dual 14 band stereo EQ with 99 MIDI presets. *it is a great, 2 rack space unit, with little red lights in place of sldiers to show your EQ curve.

the bad news is that they were discontinued years ago and are not easy to find. *they made a 28 band mono version, the dual 14, and a quad channel 7 band. *definately check one out if you can find it on Ebay or used.

i know you said a rack EQ, but you said for more bands rather than to use with a rack preamp or something. *if you don't need a rack unit, the new Boss EQ-20 10 band graphic EQ pedal might fit your needs. *it looks like a cool pedal, with 10 storable EQ presets controlled by footswitching, but not by midi.

(Edited by Scott of Actual Time at 7:08 pm on May 5, 2001)
Old 05-06-2001, 01:37 AM

Rack Equalizers...

can anyone explain to me all the different eq's? for god's sake! there is a boss eq pedal....parametric.....graphic....what the heck is the difference in all these? an eq is an eq is it not? (I know parametric is VERY versatile but that's all I know)
Old 05-06-2001, 11:20 AM

Rack Equalizers...

rsvampire, here's a brief description:

Graphic - sliders (or pots) for various frequencies that can be boosted or cut. *This is what the Boss GE-7 is, rack units usually have more sliders (ie, more frequencies to adjust. *I suppose it's called "graphic" because by the position of the sliders you can see the "shape" of the tone you're producing?

Parametric: similar in that you can boost and cut frequencies, but you can also adjust which frequencies you're adjusting. *For example, you might have a "mid" control (+/- db) that works in conjunction with a frequency control (selects frequency to cut/boost).

After all that typing, I recalled a site that gives a much better explanation:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Effec.../Equalization/

Greg
Old 05-07-2001, 02:58 AM

Rack Equalizers...

well after readin that site...I dunno. I know for a fact parametric was the best eq I didn't know why. now I do. for flexability it's the best, but I think it takes too much brain power to use.:biggrin:
Old 05-21-2001, 06:58 AM

Rack Equalizers...

Two solutions worth looking at:

Behringer ULTRA-Q PRO PEQ2200
"Ultra-Musical 5-Band Parametric Equalizer / Notch Filter"
This one's a single-rack-space 5band pEq. * It's the one I'm thinking of getting in the near future, because I still think parametric EQs are better when shaping guitar sounds.

or
Behringer ULTRA-GRAPH PRO GEQ3102
"Ultra-Musical 31-Band Stereo Graphic Equalizer"
The stereo part kicks butt because you can use one half to to pre-distortion EQ, and the other for post-distortion EQ.

Neither of those are MIDI controllable however, which limits their usefulness. *That new Boss EQ pedal might be an answer, though it's no option for me (if it doesn't go into a rack, I don't want it!)
Old 05-28-2001, 11:52 PM

Rack Equalizers...

Here's my killer kind of patented (not really) suggestion:
I use an ART 341 Dual channel 15 band EQ. *I have a Rolls Patchworks in my rack and use it to switch between two different EQ settings (left and right channel) on the EQ (I set each channel of EQ up as a different effects loop on the Rolls.) *Add that to your natural sound of your amp and you have 3 EQ settings. *I also set up the on-board EQ of my Mesa Mark III to be switched in and out via the Rolls. *Now I have 4 different EQ settings. *That's all I'll ever need. *I run mono, in case you couldn't tell, and I think this is the most versitle setup for mono-guitar withought forking out the cash for a programable EQ.
KO

Tags
mesa mark, mesa mark iii, rack pre, rack space, rocktron piranha

Show/Hide Posting Rules