<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 06-22-2006, 03:19 PM

Rack experts - Switching Systems, Loopers etc.

I'm looking for something that will allow me to switch between 2 preamps in my rack, and has loops for a couple of pedals, rackmount tuner etc. From the stuff I've read, the Sound Sculpture Switchblade 8b seems to be perfect (and their customer service already has loads of points for answering all the questions I've been firing at them)

Does anyone have any experience with these units that would care to offer an unbiased opinion of them?

Any other units worth looking at?

I've already discounted the GCX because I can't be bothered with the non standard midi pin outs. Also, ideally, I don't want an external power adapter, I'd rather just power it straight from my power conditioner. And finally, standard 19" rackmounting. Not that I'm fussy at all!

Cheers.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:02 PM

Re: Rack experts - Switching Systems, Loopers etc.

Bob bradshaw could hook you up too..but it gets pricy..

http://www.customaudioelectronics.com/
Old 06-22-2006, 05:22 PM

.. and a stunningly long wait.
If I was after something unique that would be the way to go, but this is a fairly standard set up.

Anyone tried out Skrydstrup stuff?
Old 06-22-2006, 05:42 PM

I would imagine it would be the same with Skrydstrup's stuff..
Old 06-22-2006, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb
I would imagine it would be the same with Skrydstrup's stuff..
You mean the long wait? No, it is available through a few retailers. Seems expensive for what it does though, in comparison to the Switchblade, which is why that is still my front runner.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman

I've already discounted the GCX because I can't be bothered with the non standard midi pin outs. Also, ideally, I don't want an external power adapter, I'd rather just power it straight from my power conditioner. And finally, standard 19" rackmounting. Not that I'm fussy at all!

Cheers.
Non standard midi out? The audio switcher has standard midi out, in, and throughs...With power through the midi to control the footcontroller. The power supply is a wall wart that connects directly from a standard outlet to the unit. Good luck, Tobe
Old 06-22-2006, 06:04 PM

Quote:
You mean the long wait? No, it is available through a few retailers. Seems expensive for what it does though, in comparison to the Switchblade, which is why that is still my front runner.
no I was talking about the huge price...
Old 06-22-2006, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobe
Non standard midi out?
No, Non standard midi PIN outs - if you read up on their website you see that although you can use other midi controlers you have to be careful:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the GCX manual
Warning: The PEDAL IN jack on the GCX is not a standard MIDI In. It utilizes the two normally unused pins to provide 9 volts A.C. power for the Ground Control. Before connecting to a device other than the Ground Control, you must either use a cable without pins 1 and 3 wired, or verify that the MIDI Out of that device conforms to the MIDI specification which states that pins 1 and 3 are unconnected. Failure to do so can result in severe damage to your equipment. If you have any questions about this, please contact Digital Music Corporation's customer service department.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:07 PM

Kitty hawk patch bayette
( was also featured under different name, can't remember. )
Lehle D-loop

Both quite affordable.

Be prepared for a lot of cables going in and out though !

To make my rack more portable I recently took out some of the loops

Real fun to play with though !
Old 06-22-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb
no I was talking about the huge price...
It is a European manufacturer so I would imagine that their stuff is horrifically expensive in the US, but over here it is just expensive
Old 06-22-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
No, Non standard midi PIN outs - if you read up on their website you see that although you can use other midi controlers you have to be careful:
yeah, but most midi devices do not use pins 1 and 3, thats why they used them to run power. Also, you can disconnect the pins pretty easily....finally if you went with the GCX, not that it sounds like you want to, you really would want to get their controller anyways...they work well together, and are not too expensive. Good luck on your search!
Old 06-22-2006, 07:39 PM

Um, you might be able to cobble something together using, say, the TC Electronics G-System, which has several switchable loops within its architecture - not exactly cheep, but it is, in addition to its switching capabilities, you get probably the best effects box on the planet!
Old 06-23-2006, 05:01 AM

Thanks for your suggestions:
Lehle D-loop - can't do what I want (not enough loops), and isn't 19" rackmount etc, but I nice box from what I've heard.

Kitty hawk patch bayette - I had thought that they went out of business years agao! I'll investigate some more, thanks.

TC Electronics G-System, Would possibly work, but not really designed for this job, besides I already have an effects unit so it would be a really inefficient way to spend my cash!

GCX - Still a possibility, and if I didn't already have a midi footcontroller I would go for their complete system.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:03 AM

Oh, and I'm still keen to hear from anyone with experience with the Sound Sculpture Switchblade 8b or Skrydstrup equipment.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:21 PM

Hey there,
I personally use Axess Electronics switchers (3 GRX4's ) and a DMC System Mix+ mixer/inteface, and a Rocktron All Access controller. Look into the Axess gear it's very well priced for what it does and Mario's customer service is second to none, and by none I mean absolutely none.

Seems like you're set on the Switchblade, there's awesome reviews about it and a ton of info to be found on it at www.hugeracksinc.com

Just do a keyword search & you'll have all the info you need from people who actually use it. I thought about getting one, but it's a little bit overkill for what I want.

Catch ya..........Joe

Tags
lexicon mpx, midi foot, midi footcontroller, volume pedal

Show/Hide Posting Rules