<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 03-16-2006, 05:36 AM

Reviews: 5

Recommended distortion pedal

Recommended distortion pedal

i am looking for a really diverse distortion pedal

it must be appliable to rhythm and leads

I like a really low end crunch for the rhythm and very warm and bright for the lead, like a gary moore type sound cross bred with zakk wylde sorta thing (I dont like it being to trebly)

I have a mt-2 and a dime distortion

they are great pedals on their own but I do a hell of a lot of floor switching too

I have to switch the whole time to get a specific sound

and recommendations (sorry for being long winded)
thanks
Old 03-16-2006, 11:45 AM

Re: Recommended distortion pedal

I'm confused, you have 2 pedals (I'm not a fan of the MT-2 myself, haven't tried the Dime) but they don't do it for you, or you don't like switching between them. So, you want a pedal that will give you a good rhythm sound and a hot lead sound at the same time so you don't have to switch??? Or you want a pedal with 2 channels? If so, you might try the Rocktron Silver Dragon, very affordable and it sounds like you are looking for a metal sound.

Also, what kind of amp are you using? Are you getting overdrive from the amp? Maybe the amp is more of the problem than the effects pedals? That is often the case, if it is a small practice amp, it will never sound like a huge stack.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:33 PM
(a)

Check out the Radial stuff, I have a tone bone classic that I love, and I think they have a new one that has 2 channels, you also may want to give the Visual Sound Jeckyll and Hyde a try.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr
Also, what kind of amp are you using? Are you getting overdrive from the amp? Maybe the amp is more of the problem than the effects pedals? That is often the case, if it is a small practice amp, it will never sound like a huge stack.
I was thinking that too - what are you playing through?

Provided you don't boost the treble or bass past the halfway point and don't scoop the mids out (in fact, I'd recommend a light upper mid boost), the Metal Zone isn't bad if you want a saturated, high gain pedal - it's better than people give it credit for, anyway. However, I have yet to try a pedal that's a match for a really good amp distortion.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:22 PM

The metal zone is what I use. I would have to say its pretty sweet, the lead tones are a sorta sound of walk, that sort of muddy bluesy tone.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:27 PM

Line 6 actually makes one of the best distortion pedals I've ever heard. The tone sounds a lot more "alive" than that of the metal zone and a lot less fuzzy. But in the end, I agree that no pedal is really a match for an amp's true distortion and so I'd probably look for a better amp instead of a different pedal.

Tags
amp distortion, distortion pedal, gary moore, practice amp, zakk wylde

Show/Hide Posting Rules