<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 02-12-2001, 12:01 PM

Rocktron Voodu Valve and ADA MP-1

There's a music store here in Portugal (far away from my house) that sells these two used pre-amps for same price (well, the Voodu is a little higher).

I cannot go to that store and test drive them for myself, so i'm asking you guys, for those who tried them or own one of these, some opinions. I'm looking for heavy distortion (i play death/doom metal, that type of sound) but some nice clean sounds would be appreciated too.

I know that the MP-1 is a lot older than the Voodu, but the MP-1 has been used from Testament to Metallica, so it has to be good. I also k now that the Voodu has effects, but i'll not use them, so this is not a decision factor.

Also, i in it cames to pre-amps, i usually just see debates about the JMP-1/TriAxis. I've never tried the TriAxis but the JMP-1 has not enough gain for my needs. How does the Voodu Valve compares to the TriAxis? Is it in the same league in terms of sound quality?

Thanks for reading,
Armindo Dias
Old 02-12-2001, 12:16 PM

I've one friend who plays a Voodoo Valve, and another who plays the MP-2 (iirc, he used to play the MP-1, but didn't like the lack of a noise gate)... I don't think either would hesitate to say the Voodoo Valve is the "better" preamp in terms of sheer versatility, but the effects do enter the equation there. Personally, I feel the Voodoo Valve offers all kinds of great heavy tones as well as some great clean tones, but lacks a bit in the middly, bluesy "crunch" tones department. However, it's not even in the same league as the Triaxis. The Triaxis is a midi controlled tube preamp. The Voovoo Valve is a digital preamp with a tube in it. Night and day. With a tube power amp tho', either pre is capable of great tones. My buddy with the MP-2 uses a BOSS FX-50 and an ADA Micro Tube "hybrid" power amp with it into a Marshal 4x12, and he gets some awesome metal tones out of that thing!
Old 02-15-2001, 11:23 PM

The voodoo Valve and the Chamaeleon are the same unit== butt

The Voodoo Valve has a 12AX7 Preamp tube in it.
That is what Rocktron told me.
I took a look at one and the controls were the same as my
chamaeleon.

I use the chamaeleon as my main preamp.
I've got about 6 or 7 preamps.

Sebastian
Old 02-18-2001, 07:53 AM

I owned an MP-1 and an MP-2, and got rid of both for a Rocktron Chameleon. I am very happy with the Rocktron, and have used it for over 3 years as my main sound.
Old 02-18-2001, 04:20 PM

Hi,

I'm the proud owner of a Voodu Valve since 5 years. Before I bought it I had a JMP-1. Also a nice amp, but did deliver only a fraction of what I was looking for. I have had also checked the MP-1 and MP-2. They are both great preamps, but deliver only metal tones IMO. The MP-2 is more versatile compared to MP-1 and has noise reduction, compression and a really great sounding chorus. The Voodu Valve has them all, plus more amp tones, plus better clean tones (say Fender emulation), plus really very very good effects (Rocktron quality). However, I agree with the above comments about mid crunch. But, I've found the cure: I use a SD-1 or an OD-3 (depends on my mood) with an H&amp;K tubeman in parallel where the tube man has slight or no overdrive at all. This setup delivers good crunch thru my combo-amps power section. Well, I've achived better results with none of the effects infront of it but with a Mesa Boogie 2:90 as power amp. That combo is a killer. I'm saving for one.
Good luck!
Old 02-19-2001, 10:05 AM

So would you guys, those who tried both ADA and Rocktron, that the Voodu Valve has, roughly speaking, all the tones (in quantity and in quality) as the MP-1? Like i said, i'm not interested in the effects section, only in pre-amp section of the units. Can i with theVoodu Valve have all the same quality sounds i got with the MP-1?

The ADA, like i said, has been used from a lot of "famous" people, but i've never seen anyone "famous" using the Voodu Valve (I've heard a rumour that Slayer's Kerry King was using one...). Do you know of anyone?
Old 02-19-2001, 12:19 PM

Armindo, you're going to use it and not someone else. Forget about the famous guys for a second and consider what you need. They might have used it due to numerous reasons that may not apply for you.

Voodu valve and mp-1 are not the same amp. Read all the comments again and then listen to your hearth and brain.

Good luck!
Old 02-19-2001, 02:02 PM

Reviews: 3

Armindo -

Simply put, "famous people" have no better taste than anyone here. *They just happen to be getting paid to do music as their career. *You'd like to think that most professional musicians would have better taste in gear... but you still see everyone using the brand new Marshall heads, and lots of terrible effects... *

Basically, what it comes down to, is that if YOU think the stuff sounds good... then get it! *
Old 02-20-2001, 01:48 PM

Well put guys, sometimes people focus too much on who plays it and not what they like, I guess I used to be like that. *But to get to my point, I have a Voodu and it kicks, my friend used to have an MP-1 and that sounded good too, never got to do a side by side comparison though. *I looked at both and one thing I noticed was the difference in price: MP-1 $100-200 (Evil bay prices) vs Voodu $300-400. *I couldn't *find an MP-1 manual to print out but, I did find one for the Rocktron on their site. Good luck, I can name some people who use this stuff MP-1 - *Ken Burtch (buy his CD, it rocks) &amp; Voodu - Gary Hoey. (sorry this is kinda scatterbrained)
Old 02-22-2001, 04:44 PM

Reviews: 2

MP-1 is a classic amp I wouldn't even try the other. I just don't have faith that a multi unit can do it.

Before I get comments about my line6 stance. The FX on them arn't great but as it is an amp modler the FX are just a bonus. To me these voodoo things are FX units 1st premp's 2nd

Obviously if you can, try them out. *But I'm pro MP-1
Old 02-22-2001, 05:04 PM

I had an MP-1 years ago running through a carvin power amp then out to a 4x12. It was awesome but eventually a heard a tube marshall preamp in a single rack space (don't remember the model). Those tubes sounded even better.

Let your ears do the paying when it comes to this stuff.
Old 02-23-2001, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Quote: from Pablo on 11:44 pm on Feb. 22, 2001
MP-1 is a classic amp I wouldn't even try the other. I just don't have faith that a multi unit can do it.

Before I get comments about my line6 stance. The FX on them arn't great but as it is an amp modler the FX are just a bonus. To me these voodoo things are FX units 1st premp's 2nd

Obviously if you can, try them out. *But I'm pro MP-1
Pablo, go and check a vooduvalve out, you'll understand that it has a really good preamp.
Old 02-26-2001, 08:01 AM

Well, after all this debate i finally made my decision and i bought... the Voodu Valve!!! Like i said, i didn't had the oportunity to listen both the ADA and the Voodu, so i made my decision based in the overall bang-for-the-buck ot those pre-amps. Also, i was afraid if the ADA had some problem i was left in the dust because the company no longer exists.

I don't know what i'm missing from the ADA since i've never tested it, but, from what i'm getting out from the Voodu, i guess it isn't much... i absolutely love the Voodu!!! The distortions sounds are FABULOUS, very powerfull and extremely heavy, and the clean sounds are very good too (altough i didn't paid very attention to these, yet). Also, the effects are GREAT! The chorus, delay, reverb, etc, are very, very good. There is a lot that can be done with this pre-amp and it seems that every time i use it i come with a new great sound: it's so versatille!!!

I'm using the Voodu feeding directly the effects return of my Marshall JCM 900 2X12" combo, bypassing the pre-amp section. The sound is very powerfull, but i'm sure that with a rackmount power amp and a 4X12" cab the sound would be monstruos!

Aslo, i bought the ART X15 as my foot controller and both they are awesome! I can do dive bombs, turn on/off some particular effect, increase the delay level/time, you name it.

I'm extremly happy with the Voodu Valve in these 4 days since i bought it. Like i said, i don't know what i'm missing from, say, a Mesa Tri-Axis or the ADA, so i can't compare the Voodu to these pre-amps in terms of quality of sound. But i tried the Marshall JMP-1 and the Voodu totally blows away the JMP-1 in terms of versatillity and sound (and i already have a Marshall amp...). The Marshall didn't had enough distortion for me. But the Voodu does. And it's FAR more versatille.

I can now understand alienx for his love with the Voodu: IT RULES!!!

Thanks to all.
Old 02-26-2001, 08:36 AM

Hey Armindo,

Congratulations. I'm realy happy that you like the voodu valve. Enjoy it!

Cheer Alienx
Old 03-26-2003, 04:07 AM

this is quite the dead thread,
but I've been offered one ADA MP-1
and a Voodu valve. both at the same price.
My sound requirements are as follows:
Jazz - Studio clean - dirt - Heavy.
I read that the MP-1 lacks a noisegate.....
this doesn't sound too good....

Which one would be ideal?

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS-Rocktron Voodu Valve processor 66gtfb Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 1 02-14-2011 09:05 PM
WTB Rocktron Voodu Valve Preamp EdgeOvThorns Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 5 04-01-2007 12:16 PM
Rocktron Voodu Valve input needed Silverburst Gear and Equipment 5 09-13-2006 12:46 PM
Rocktron Voodu Valve And Yamaha Controller Force Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 10-10-2005 10:17 AM
Please compare Digitech 2101 and Rocktron Voodu Valve particlestorm Gear and Equipment 2 10-06-2003 01:52 AM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29