Ibanez JEM Forum banner

SD-1 Super Overdrive - Zakk Wylde Tone?

30K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  strat110 
#1 ·
Ok, I know Zakk Wylde uses a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive Pedal in his pedalboard.  My question is this...does he use it as his main distortion or does he use the Marshall JCM800's distortion + the SD-1 as a "lead boost"?  I just got one for an x-mas gift and I'm not even coming close to his distorted tone.  Where's that Zakk Wylde gain coming from?  Any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
SD-1 Super Overdrive

Zakk Wylde tone, well, first, big les paul, then, big marshall stack, then, about 9000 decibles!!! LOL.
Seriously though, I can get kind of close, but not exact. If you listen to my track Vai-lence on my website, you can hear that Zakkish tone, but that is a whole monster rack of stuff that my sound comes from. The SD-1, I would think he uses more as a boost than his overall tone, but that's just a guess as I haven't heard a SD1 that I thought was really thick.
Good luck on searching the tone dude!

Jeremy

#3 ·
SD-1 Super Overdrive

i love zakk's tone on the "no more tears" album, but i have a video of him live (professionally shot) and his tone sucks sooooo much -- so i attribute the good in his tone to studio magic. . . . as is so true with many a great guitar tone
--shawn

#5 ·
SD-1 Super Overdrive

Zakk sets his JCM800 for a pretty heavy crunch tone, the SD-1 is kicked in for the heavier sections and solos.

I use one for the same purpose, set the amp gain at around 5-6 and then kick in the SD-1 when required.

Zakk sets his SD-1 like:

Level - 2 o clock,
Tone - varies (I set mine generally at around 10 o clock).
Gain - 2 o clock.

I often max the level and run the gain at around 11 o clock, play with it as its great pedal and theirs great sound in it.

Zakks' EMG's play a BIG part too.

I do not think his present tone is a patch on his 'Pride & Glory' tone.

(Edited by strat110 at 8:46 am on Dec. 25, 2001)

#7 ·
SD-1 Super Overdrive

i just read an article and an interview with him and his tech...he uses the preamp
distortion on his marshall...(which doesn't use el34's like most), he sets the channel
at 10, the master volume at 4 to 6. the super overdrive pedal is on 80 percent of the
time he says...i think his live tone is ok...not spectacular. Its very thick and sounds
more like overdrive from hell rather than harsh trebly distortion...i prefer the overdrive sound
personally...
peace,
chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.