So, I can finally afford a REAL amp... - Jemsite
Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

So, I can finally afford a REAL amp...

Got a decent job (park ranger :3 ), pays decent, and I can finally afford an amp.

All my life I've been using a crappy 1x10 practice amp, or a mostly-crappy Carvin 2x12, but now I can afford anything in the $1200-$1600 range.

Type of sound I'm going for.

Metal. Iced Earth metal. I know Jon uses a custom Larry amp, and they're nigh impossible to get, but what's close? I don't want to have to have anything modded. It doesn't have to be the exact tone, or close to it, but in the thrashy-vein.

A good clean is a MUST. I hate playing an amp with killer distortion, only to have the clean lick butt.

I'm looking for a head and then a cab or two later; any good pairings?

What type of effects should I look for?

Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 03:38 PM

Re: So, I can finally afford a REAL amp...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydefrog
Got a decent job (park ranger :3 ), pays decent, and I can finally afford an amp.

All my life I've been using a crappy 1x10 practice amp, or a mostly-crappy Carvin 2x12, but now I can afford anything in the $1200-$1600 range.

Type of sound I'm going for.

Metal. Iced Earth metal. I know Jon uses a custom Larry amp, and they're nigh impossible to get, but what's close? I don't want to have to have anything modded. It doesn't have to be the exact tone, or close to it, but in the thrashy-vein.

A good clean is a MUST. I hate playing an amp with killer distortion, only to have the clean lick butt.

I'm looking for a head and then a cab or two later; any good pairings?

What type of effects should I look for?

Thanks for the input.
ENGL Screamer.

www.rocksolidamps.com

Its 1199 for either the head or the combo. It will nail any tone you want, its got awesome cleans and crunch, and of course brutal distortion!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 03:07 AM

ENGLs do good distortions. Their cleans are not great but they are definitely usable.

You might be able to pull off a used Soldano too
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 03:11 AM

I hear good things about the JSX combo. Plenty of gain and apparently a good clean channel.

BTW, has anyone here tried one?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurj
I hear good things about the JSX combo. Plenty of gain and apparently a good clean channel.

BTW, has anyone here tried one?
I haven't seen the combo yet, but I've been using the JSX head and a 1960BV for almost a year now. Incredible clean tones with massive headroom. The distortion channels have more gain than I'll ever use. The only change I'm considering is adding a 2x12 cabinet to use for smaller gigs. You couldn't pay me enough to play through another amp. (well you could, but I'm just saying...)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 11:26 AM

I use a Peavey XXX 2x12, and I like it a lot. For $1600, you could pick up one AND a 4x12 cab to throw under it....
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 04:24 PM

What about the fender metal head or the fender stealth series those might be good a marshall might be good too or a good mesa those are all good but dsont listen to me try them yourself.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 05:32 PM

^ Yes, hes right, dont listen to him. Fender metalheads are garbage. They are a gimmick marketed to compete with the Marshall Mode Four, also an overpriced gimmick.

Fender Prosonic >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fender Metalhead.

The prosonic had prestine cleans, and brutal distortion. Twas a nice amp.

I still stand by the ENGL screamer though, the cleans are more than usable I'd say.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 11:50 PM
Gex

Id look into an old 80's Laney AOR Pro Tube.

You can get 50w combos or a 50 or 100w heads on **** for about $300.

I have one, and a Peavey JSX, and Im selling the JSX! No joke!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 04:22 PM

wow just shoot me down every time ey electrik any who bottom line is 550 watts is too loud and who needs it but does it have good gain is what i would like to know and would any body have a sound clip of it but any who (again) the engl and framus cobra sound pritty much alike to my ears and krank is some what ok for thrash metal but not to my liking krank is really just Krap.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectriK
^ Yes, hes right, dont listen to him. Fender metalheads are garbage. They are a gimmick marketed to compete with the Marshall Mode Four, also an overpriced gimmick.

Fender Prosonic >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fender Metalhead.

The prosonic had prestine cleans, and brutal distortion. Twas a nice amp.

I still stand by the ENGL screamer though, the cleans are more than usable I'd say.
I never played one. I think I heard someone else play on one (I think it was a Metalhead) and it wasn't anything worth over $300. It is no ENGL
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 05:54 PM

Mesa Boogie Stiletto!!!!!!
That baby screams

Tags
clean tone , engl screamer , jsx combo , jsx head , marshall mode four , mesa boogie , peavey jsx , practice amp , thrash metal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode