<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 03-26-2012, 03:38 PM
smooth55  is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Columbus OH
Posts: 1,131  -  iTrader: (0)
Reviews: 59

Re: Suggestions for my first "real" amp


Quote:
Originally Posted by mates90 View Post
You don't sound too convinced about the Marshall. Do you think I could make a better investment with that money? I'm really open to brands and suggestions.
It's not that I don't think the JVM is good piece of equipment and can't be the amp you should get, I don't actually know what tones you're looking to achieve or find appealing, only you know that. Without knowing the costs where you live, I can only go off personal experience with Marshall and that is that the high end Marshall's sound great but I don't have the kind of cash to get one new.
Furthermore, if what you want is Mesa-esque tones, get a Mesa - new or used. If what you want is Marshall-esque tones, buy a Marshall - or as has been suggested, check out Blackstar (made by ex-Marshall employees). You'll have to actually try the amps out for yourself to see if they work for the tones you want. For metal on a budet, I'd recommend the Blackstar HT series of amps - remember that wattage = clean headroom more than it correlates to volume - so you don't need 50-100 watts unless you're cranking out cleans in medium to large gigs. I'd also look, since you mentioned hi gain, at used Mesa's. You might be able to get a decent deal on a used Mark IV with the V out, the DC series is a great alternative with a very mark like clean and a more recto (but not quite dual rec) dirty channel. If you like the Marshall tones, the JVM series is very solid. I like the looks of the new Satriani model coming out and if it's like his other signature gear, it's sure to be versatile - and costly. There's plenty of options out there and you'll have to try them to see what it is you like best.
Lastly, as was already said, I would not buy an expensive amp like the JVM to be a platform for a pod. If you need to still use the pod for effects, that's fine, but if your game plan is to just use the amp for to power speakers for the pod, you're better off getting an full range speaker/pa set up and running into that direct.
quote
  #17  
Old 03-26-2012, 08:09 PM
mates90  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Argentina
Posts: 50  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Suggestions for my first "real" amp


Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR2009 View Post
Hey mates90....how are you using your pod right now and are you versed with programming it? I only ask because if you don't really dig into the programming and just use presets you're only using about 10% of its potential and compared to a well setup patch the presets are garbage.

If you've only played it through an amp and never through good PA system the same as above applies.
Oh no, I already dial in my own tones and I'm constantly looking around for custom tones made from real people. I think the presets lasted 2 hours after I bought it :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
It's not that I don't think the JVM is good piece of equipment and can't be the amp you should get, I don't actually know what tones you're looking to achieve or find appealing, only you know that. Without knowing the costs where you live, I can only go off personal experience with Marshall and that is that the high end Marshall's sound great but I don't have the kind of cash to get one new.
Furthermore, if what you want is Mesa-esque tones, get a Mesa - new or used. If what you want is Marshall-esque tones, buy a Marshall - or as has been suggested, check out Blackstar (made by ex-Marshall employees). You'll have to actually try the amps out for yourself to see if they work for the tones you want. For metal on a budet, I'd recommend the Blackstar HT series of amps - remember that wattage = clean headroom more than it correlates to volume - so you don't need 50-100 watts unless you're cranking out cleans in medium to large gigs. I'd also look, since you mentioned hi gain, at used Mesa's. You might be able to get a decent deal on a used Mark IV with the V out, the DC series is a great alternative with a very mark like clean and a more recto (but not quite dual rec) dirty channel. If you like the Marshall tones, the JVM series is very solid. I like the looks of the new Satriani model coming out and if it's like his other signature gear, it's sure to be versatile - and costly. There's plenty of options out there and you'll have to try them to see what it is you like best.
Lastly, as was already said, I would not buy an expensive amp like the JVM to be a platform for a pod. If you need to still use the pod for effects, that's fine, but if your game plan is to just use the amp for to power speakers for the pod, you're better off getting an full range speaker/pa set up and running into that direct.
I know what you mean. So far, if the gain in the JVM sounds good to me, it's the amp I'm going to get. I wont be using the POD with an amp model over the Marshall. That'd be stupid. But I am hoping to use the effects on the POD, yes. I know I will change it for some real pedals some time (most probably when I got the cash) and be sure I'll be here asking what pedals to get!

About the Mesa stuff, I cant find anything that's in my budget. All I can find are heads worth 500 dollars more than what the JVM would cost.

And just to be clear, although I'd be more than satisfied with the gain from a Mesa, I think I can sacrifice some of that gain for the clean british tones that you get from a Marshall (I use one at the rehearsal room and it's great).

I just stumbled upon a used Mesa Transatlantic Ta-15 with an Orange cab (used) for the same price I'd get the JVM (new). I wonder how that combination sounds..
quote
  #18  
Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 PM
ZZTOP  is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 32  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Suggestions for my first "real" amp


Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post
Check out Blackstar amps, great bang for your buck.

Rock on!
Ive tried the HT-40 and it was better than a DSL 401 and an ENGL GIGMASTER
. You can play from country to metal with this amps, consider this if you cant buy a Mesa
quote
  #19  
Old 03-28-2012, 01:04 PM
mates90  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Argentina
Posts: 50  -  iTrader: (0)
People I've been reading around and found something about the POD's (although you might be able to perform it with other units as well).

Its called the four cable method and it let's you bypass the amp preamp so your tone is not affected (you'd be using the POD as an effects processor.)


More info here: http://www.benvesco.com/blog/pod-x3-...-cable-method/

Last edited by mates90; 03-28-2012 at 01:11 PM.
quote
  #20  
Old 03-28-2012, 01:20 PM
(a)
Swirltop  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 2,340  -  iTrader: (12)

Re: Suggestions for my first "real" amp


Quote:
Originally Posted by mates90 View Post
People I've been reading around and found something about the POD's (although you might be able to perform it with other units as well).

Its called the four cable method and it let's you bypass the amp preamp so your tone is not affected (you'd be using the POD as an effects processor.)


More info here: http://www.benvesco.com/blog/pod-x3-...-cable-method/
That setup is for the newer versions of pods. If you go to the Line6 website you will be able to find out if your version of the pod is capable of the 4 cable method. What it does is send the modulation effects to the effects loop and the distortions through the preamp like a normal pedal set up would do.

My podxt live doesn't have that capability, but I've used just the modulations through the effects loop with good results except for the wah really sucks going this route. The best overall sound I got with my little ibanez tsa15h was bypassing the tubescreamer circuit, which is still going through the preamp.

Have you tried going studio direct through a PA yet? If not do yourself a huge favor and try it out. It sounds really good man...
quote
  #21  
Old 03-28-2012, 01:22 PM
(a)
Swirltop  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 2,340  -  iTrader: (12)

Re: Suggestions for my first "real" amp


Here's a link http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-4742
quote
  #22  
Old 03-28-2012, 04:55 PM
ImitationSHREDder  is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 59  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Suggestions for my first "real" amp


I'm heavily biased but if you're looking for something that will do everything reasonably well you should try out a Carvin x100b. I picked one up for about $260 and couldn't be happier with the tone. It will sound kinda (being very liberal here) like a JCM800 but "hotter" you know? (maybe you don't know hahaha) but here's a vid of a guy using the same amp that i have. Check it out if you're interested. I don't know about the POD's or these amp modelers since i hear that they are more "forgiving" then real amps. I do have a Peavey Vypyr 15 that works well in the bedroom (like a good woman... ok i'm seriously getting out of hand) but for a bigger amp i like the Carvin. It is 100 watts but you can switch it to 50 or 25. If you don't like it, go with the Blackstar. They are amazing.

I post this everywhere: Carvin x100b demo by some dude that looks like Jeff Foxworthy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWHhJMvJVKk
quote
  #23  
Old 03-29-2012, 09:59 AM
racerevlon  is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,081  -  iTrader: (1)
Reviews: 130

Re: Suggestions for my first "real" amp


Another vote for Blackstar over JVM. Do NOT buy an MA.

Do not take the Haze 40 off the list because you can always put a pedal in front. Mine kills with a BOSS SD-1 in front and you get built in effects. Also look at Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50C.
quote
  #24  
Old 03-29-2012, 10:11 AM
mates90  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Argentina
Posts: 50  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Suggestions for my first "real" amp


Quote:
Originally Posted by racerevlon View Post
Another vote for Blackstar over JVM. Do NOT buy an MA.

Do not take the Haze 40 off the list because you can always put a pedal in front. Mine kills with a BOSS SD-1 in front and you get built in effects. Also look at Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50C.
There's a $300 to $400 difference between the HT40 and the JVM. But the difference is that I've never played a Blackstar before so I'll watch some videos online to see if I like the tone enough like to go and try a real one downtown (1 hour drive, that's why).

Are they reliable? Also, I noticed it has 3 less valves than the JVM (2 in the pre amp and 1 in the output). How'd that affect tone?
quote
  #25  
Old 03-29-2012, 05:08 PM
LonePhantom  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 8,654  -  iTrader: (8)
Reviews: 120

Re: Suggestions for my first "real" amp


Don't concentrate on the amount of valves. That should not be your deciding factor. The Blackstars are awesome sounding and rock solid to boot. I use the HT-5 head with a 1x12 speaker, and I find it plenty loud with my band.

Go try a Blackstar now - you won't regret it.
quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Show/Hide Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steve Vai - "Real Illusions: Reflections" Previews MM News 108 01-13-2012 02:01 PM
crap... first "real" prs experience linuxpenguin Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) 33 11-01-2011 11:55 AM
"BIG" sounding Dimarzio suggestions charv712 Pickups & wiring 13 06-03-2010 02:47 AM
ever see a "JS1000" with black gloss, no "satch" inlay and a "J" ser. # IKE560 JS (Satriani Model) Ibanez Guitars 2 04-11-2009 03:05 PM
Making My JEM10th a "Real Player" JEM10th Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 11 10-02-2003 09:47 AM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) jemsite.com
Powered by