<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:22 AM

TC Electronic G System or G Major?

I was thinking of getting one of these. For a while I was looking at the G System, but now I'm not sure if a G Major with a Rocktron All Access controller may be a better choice. Can anyone make any suggestions?
Old 01-14-2008, 04:24 AM

Re: TC Electronic G System or G Major?

Gee, let me think. $400 effects processor vs $1500 effects processor. I wonder which one is better. :-)
Old 01-14-2008, 04:48 AM

Good point. lol.

I have heard that some people prefer the G Major, so I thought I should ask first
Old 01-14-2008, 06:44 AM

Depends what your needs are really. I have a G Major in my rack and I'm more than happy with it - I don't need the other stuff the G System does and like the stereo stuff I can do with the G Major.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:47 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdmitry View Post
Gee, let me think. $400 effects processor vs $1500 effects processor. I wonder which one is better. :-)
The $400.00 one.
Had both, still have the G-Major. G system had a nasty habit of increasing the noise floor, I tried for a month to get it straight, but it was never quite right.
You have to go into the G-system, then it routes your guitar to your preamp, then your effects go through the loop of your preamp back into the G-system.
Great idea, but there seem to be some discrepancies from unit to unit. I couldn't justify keeping something that cost $1500 and made life so much more difficult. The whole system was very counter-intuitive when programming and using it.
Now, granted, you have nearly double the usable effects in the G-system as the G-Major, but they still sound good. I have no complaints about the Major.

Part of me wished I'd grabbed the G-force for the harmonizer and cool 'talking' effects, but how often do you use 'em?
Old 01-14-2008, 01:18 PM

Perhaps your unit just was a lemon? I mean, pro musicians are using it without any issues.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:27 PM

Soundcontrol in Glasgow has a demo set up. Maybe I'll try it out first. But yeah, that sounds really awkward.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:52 PM

I have both, but am selling the G System, the G System seems to be able to suck the life right out of my guitars, no matter what the config it, TC support have given me a few ideas, but it seems to turn the guitar into a synthesiser, moving between pickups used to produce a big differecne in tone, but on the G system its a lot less. Its a shame as I had such high hopes.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:25 AM

I have recieved my G-System one week ago.

Until now I was using a G-Force, but wanted a "all in one" pedalboard...

The G-System is just great... No noise at all and frankly my sound is unchanged vs. direct into my amp!
To all the people that think the GS sucks tone... please TURN OFF THE BOOST OPTION!!! It's written in the manual!

Great effects, really easy tu use.

I don't have explored all connection possibilities, but until now I'm 100% satisfied with it and what it will allow me to do!
Old 01-16-2008, 02:08 AM

Ok. This certainly complicates matters

Seems I'm getting mixed opinions.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:17 AM

Well it really boils down to what you need, if you need an all in one floor switching option and don't want to bother with rack setups, then you should check out the System, if you just need a unit that does delays and such and don't mind rack setups, then check out the Major/Force.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:30 AM

I don't mind a rack setup, but are you saying the G System doesn't have a delay effect?
Old 01-16-2008, 06:21 AM

Sure it has!

The question is... do you need full control at your feet, do you want high quality effects with many parameters you can play with... effect routing capabilities... looping your pedals...
or do you need "only" basic effects for minimal use....

Personally I like the fact that the G-System is a "all in one" unit that I can carry from home to rehearsals easily (even if it is quite heavy especially with a case).
Old 01-16-2008, 11:36 AM

Well overall I'm looking for quality. I have a Korg AX1500G if I need something to carry for rehearsals.

So I'm guessing the G Major would be right for me then. Thanks for your answers everyone Now I've just got to decide between the Rocktron All Access or a Ground Control, but theres already a topic for that.

EDIT: £719 for the All Access?? I could buy 3 G Major's for that price. I think I'll go for the Ground Control

Last edited by Repner; 01-16-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:40 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper777 View Post
I have recieved my G-System one week ago.

Until now I was using a G-Force, but wanted a "all in one" pedalboard...

The G-System is just great... No noise at all and frankly my sound is unchanged vs. direct into my amp!
To all the people that think the GS sucks tone... please TURN OFF THE BOOST OPTION!!! It's written in the manual!

Great effects, really easy tu use.

I don't have explored all connection possibilities, but until now I'm 100% satisfied with it and what it will allow me to do!
Yeah, if it were that simple, I would still have the G-system.
I was corresponding with tech support at TC and they ultimately said I should return the unit, which I did. Like I said, an amazing concept and if I felt more secure in the system, I would have had another one shipped out. It just seems like a tall investment that could fail at any given moment. Reliability is an issue IMO with this unit.

Tags
distorted tone, distorted tones, isp decimator, midi controller, peavey jsx, rack setup

Show/Hide Posting Rules