Ibanez JEM Forum banner
14K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  rgr 
#1 ·
Well, the topic title says it all.

What does the guitarist (I haven't got a clue who he is) use?

I'm reffering to the main riff, I think it has a real fat sound, cool :)

#2 ·
Tone on Whitesnakes Still of the night

It's John Sykes, he used his old trusty Les Paul Custom through a Boogie, I think it was a Mark II or a Colesium (basically a 180W Mark II) through Marshall cabs. Not 100% sure, there was an article in a recent Guitar Player about that tone. I'll look it up when I get home.

Roger

#8 ·

I have an article in a mag somewhere in my room on what his lead is and what gear he is using. He's using his Les Paul into a Collosium. Then for his clean sound he used a Fender Strat into I think a Fender Twin or something really cleany-goodness :)

#10 ·

Monster song, monster guitarist, monster album.

Everyone has the setup pretty much spot on, the clean section is indeed a Strat, but its direct to the mixing desk and not through any amp.

Check out Sykes' new mterial too, it also moves major booty.

Andy

#13 ·

He didn't leave, Coverdale fired the whole band before the disc was finished. He actually came in to do the solo to that song after he was fired. He wanted to wrap the whole thing up. Bummer, that was a killer band, but Coverdale wanted to create the next "Super Group", I think that backfired on him, Sykes was the man for Whitesnake.

Roger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.