<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 01-13-2002, 11:06 AM

Tremsetters? - What are they and how do they work?

So what are tremsetters and how do they work? I heard it is something you put in the bridge of a Floyd Rose so you can bend the strings with out the bridge moving and causing the other string to go flat. I want to branch out in styles so that I can be more versatile in playing. In country you seem to do alot of pedal steel sounding bends and with an unaltered Floyd Rose that might be pretty hard. Anyways any info would be great.
Old 01-13-2002, 12:36 PM

Tremsetters?

GtF,
The Hipshot Tremsetter is a piston/spring device that installs in place/lieu of (typically) the middle spring of your trem. It also involves replacing the spring-claw with the pieces provided - two single hooks go onto the screws (or an optional two-hook onto one screw if you need three springs along with the Tremsetter), which are put back in as they were, each supporting one (or two_ springs each. The Tremsetter is anchored with a hook which screws into the bottom of the spring cavity - detailed instructions on how/where to place this are included, along with the typical trimming of the center rod of the Tremsetter.
The other end of the Tremsetter hooks into the trem block as any other spring would.
There is a single Allen bolt adjustment which has to be set to determine the coarse adjustment of the device.
The piston/spring has an adjusing barrel screw which can add/relieve the tension on the spring for the finer adjustment - this allows you to determine how much the device resists movement, holding instead at the 'zero' position, where contact is maintained for true return-to-neutral positioning.
It has to be set quite radically strong in order to lock out the bending/pulling flat effect that you mention; this is all dependend upon string guage and all of those sorts of factors that always figure into trem action.

Anyway, it's quite easy to install - but you have to know that there's one hole to be drilled for the anchor piece. And you'd need a wire-cutter or similar to trim the central rod (if necessary) to the correct length for your trem cavity.

I have one; tried it out, and found that it interfered enough with the subtlety of the trem that I pulled it out. However, I have often recommended these things to those who mention things like the country-type bending effect, as well as those who have trems that, for one reason or another, will not return properly to a neutral position - this thing will fix that by forcing the issue.

Hope this helps. =]
Old 01-22-2002, 09:28 AM

Tremsetters?

Vai has tremsetter's on all his guitars. *But they are not hipshot tremsetters - although hipshots seem to be the only ones available today. *Ibanez used to make a tremsetter, which Vai has in all of his guitars, including EVO. *"The Ibanez Tremsetter" . *I have walked thru sleet and snow to find one, but I cannot. *They aren't made anymore! *I guess Vai has a little more pull around here than I do!
It is suppossed to be a strong unit, but have less affect on your whammy bar than the hipshot. *You can feel it a little when you pull the bar up, but according to Vai, u can still do any tricks with this puppy.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:31 AM

Tremsetters?

Oh, I forgot, the purpose: when u play one note and bend another while that note is still ringing, you'll notice that original not starts to waver out of tune. *But with the tremsetter, u get counter-balance to the bridge, so it doesn't move so easily, so while bending notes, notes of other strings won't go out of tune. *Its quite a cool thing. *Again, it doesn't affect your whammy trickery!!
Old 01-22-2002, 12:05 PM

Tremsetters?

I believe the Ibanez version of the Tremsetter is called a "Backstop". *I've got one and love it! *MUCH easier to install than a Hipshot Tremsetter (no hole to drill in the guitar, aside from the two screws that hold the Backstop in the trem cavity). *Very reliable and very easy to use. *I wish they were a bit easier to find-I'd love a couple more of them!
Old 01-22-2002, 01:40 PM

Tremsetters?

But the Backstop doesn't affect FORWARD motion of the trem, so while bending one string, the others still detune. *I still need to check out that Schaller lock mechanism. *THAT is the best concept, IMO. *I like how the Parkers &amp; old Steinbergers work.

Tags
floyd rose, hipshot tremsetter, ibanez trem, spring cavity, string guage, trem block

Show/Hide Posting Rules