<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 07-26-2002, 11:14 AM

Voodoo Amps and the Eternal Quest for "That Tone"

I was wondering if anyone has dealt with Voodoo amps before? I'm considering just trying to have them mod an amp to the tone that's stuck in my head, and was curious if anyone had any thoughts about them at all. Or any other good companies to mod/custom-make amps?

I have a tone in my head that I want to have, but don't know how to make that a reality. I noticed on the Voodoo amps website that they'll help make an amp get a tone to your specifications. Has anyone else engaged on a similar quest to make an imagined tone real?
Old 07-26-2002, 05:48 PM

Reviews: 3
Yeah, if you're really serious about it and are willing to shell out the dough Soldano will modify amps. They'll do anything from gain mods to tolex. Those guys know a little something about tone you know... Get an amp that fits the overall character and add whatever it is you need.

Oh yes, there's also Torres Engineering. I'd contact them both for price quotes and ask them questions about what should and COULD be done to your amp.
Old 07-29-2002, 02:18 PM

Re: Voodoo Amps and the Eternal Quest for "That Tone&am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightFlamed
I was wondering if anyone has dealt with Voodoo amps before? I'm considering just trying to have them mod an amp to the tone that's stuck in my head, and was curious if anyone had any thoughts about them at all. Or any other good companies to mod/custom-make amps?

I have a tone in my head that I want to have, but don't know how to make that a reality. I noticed on the Voodoo amps website that they'll help make an amp get a tone to your specifications. Has anyone else engaged on a similar quest to make an imagined tone real?
MidnightFlamed, I would encourage you to go to the Harmony Central forum boards and post your question as there are a lot of Vood Converts there.

Check these credentials (sorry if I mess up the handles):

> DerekB (Florida): Who has some serious contacts in the Death Metal scene has owned VHT UL, Bogner Uberschall, Bogner XTC Classic and just got a Voodoo Hex, and loves it [the UBerschall is gone btw].

> Rai168 (Mass.): who plays for a very well known regional band (New England) and is a die hard VHT user CLX, UL's, etc., heard DerekB's Voodoo Hex and put in his order a this month.

> Glogulos (San Francisco): Who is an incredible Hendrix type of guitarist, just purchased a Two Rock Opal and 2x12 cab for over $4000 grand. Yet he still regretted given up his Voodoo modified JCM 800 that he has a Voodoo Hex on order.

> Soundelixir: Is having his 69 Marshall 50 watt (aluminum face) modded by Trace right now.

> Ampman: Just visited Trace Allen's (Voodoo's) workshop this week and got his Voodoo modified Traynor YCV80 combo and was raving about it on the board. His comments included "The amp is far more articulate, tighter, cleaner, smoother and the distorion channel much, much more alive &amp; responsive. . . . well worth every penny."

> WARangel (Me, Pittsburgh): I own an Egnater M4 w/ VHT 252 and 292 setup and Palmer speak cab and Zinky MOFO head and previously owned a Soldano X-88, Bogner Fish, Bogner/HAfler Triple Threat, Mesa Quad, JMP-1 preamps, am putting in my order for a specially modded amp this week.

Moreover, everyone who deals with Trace comes away rating him as one of the best they ever dealt with. Extremely high integrity and desire to see you satisfied that inspires others to "go to bat for him," - that's why I;m writing this.

He is up there among the best I've ever dealth with - Paul Rivera, Bruce Zinky, among the top.

You really would be doing yourself a disservice not to at least talk to him or check out the rabid users of his mods and amps [if you look, you can tell that most of us could go with whatever he wanted but went with Trace].

If you contact Trace, mention that WARangel - Richard Hoover - referred you, though you will get top service either way.

Tags
bogner uberschall, death metal

Show/Hide Posting Rules