Ibanez JEM Forum banner

What does PRESENCE knob set? - Amp ignorance is my REAL draw

9K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Gabe Nickelson 
#1 ·
LAME deserves FLAME! But still, can You answer my easy question? PLEEZE?:lame:

#3 ·
What does PRESENCE knob set?

Well depending on what amp it is the presence means a lot. It can just mean a boost in volume, but if its in the preamp that means more distortion. It will make the signal stronger going into your amp which pushes it to overdirve/and distort. If you want to sound heavy crank that baby up.

buzz

#4 ·

Technically what a presence control is: a tone control (in the higher ranges) in the power amp driver stage. Probably first concieved to take the shrill highs out of a really bright amp. Now adays we like those shrill highs, so we run the control high :) You won't hurt anything by running it in any setting. Some amps it is really noticable when you make the slightest adjustments (Most Mesas and some Marshalls,) and some it doesn't seem to do much. (Like my Legacy.)
Think that got it.
KO

#5 ·

The presence knob really makes a difference in my Marshall JTM60 Combo amp. It really brightens the sound. I have it set 3/4 up and depending on what I want to play, I adjust it.

Personally, I'd define it as a 'crispness' knob for my JTM60. Huge, huge change from min to max. Never messed around with the presence knob on my JCM800 or V100 - probably because they're so high up I can't reach them on my stack! I think I have them around 50% and leave em.

Gabe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.