<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:28 AM

Smile

what order to put my guitar pedals in

hi folks.am having a problem with what order to put my pedals in can anyone help(does it even matter what way thay go. and i dont have a effects loop on my amp)please help.my pedals are
boss ds-1
boss ds-2
electro harmonix big muff
electro harmonix small stone
boss re-20 space echo
boss chorus
george dennis wah wah
westfield tuner

much thanks to anyone who can help
Old 07-28-2010, 10:23 AM

Re: what order to put my guitar pedals in

Heres a general "guideline":

However, play around with the positions of your pedals. There is no right or wrong, and each position will give you a different sound.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:34 AM

Reviews: 59

There is no right or wrong however, the above is the typical way of doing things.

Usually, I find pitch shifter/harmonizers work best with the cleanest signal so they go first or early in the line along with the wah pedals and tuner.

Next, distortions and compressions and I usually escalate from overdrives, to moderate distortions to metal/brutal distortions so that I can stack them to some degree if the mood strikes me. There's no hard and fast rule on that though so whatever order you want within the category.

After that, the modulation, delay, and EQ round out the chain. Those are all in the effects loop if the amp has one, along with a volume pedal (personal taste as these could go anywhere).

Experiment and see what works best for your pedals since some pedals play nicer in certain positions than others.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
There is no right or wrong however, the above is the typical way of doing things.

Usually, I find pitch shifter/harmonizers work best with the cleanest signal so they go first or early in the line along with the wah pedals and tuner.

Next, distortions and compressions and I usually escalate from overdrives, to moderate distortions to metal/brutal distortions so that I can stack them to some degree if the mood strikes me. There's no hard and fast rule on that though so whatever order you want within the category.

After that, the modulation, delay, and EQ round out the chain. Those are all in the effects loop if the amp has one, along with a volume pedal (personal taste as these could go anywhere).

Experiment and see what works best for your pedals since some pedals play nicer in certain positions than others.
I agree and will add one more comment. Look at your effects from the standpoint of how they interact with each other and what you're wanting the effect to accomplish. Do you want to overdrive your distorted sound (DIST into OD) or distort your overdriven sound (OD into DIST)? Same applies with modulations, do you want to mod the distorted signal or distort the modded signal. Each will sound different, some more than others and on the flip side, some combinations will add noise more than others. Don't let what is considered the only way keep you from experimenting and finding your own tone. I personally run my wah at the end of my chain and ran my phaser before distortions. Works better for me even though the opposite way is considered normal. Let your ears tell you where your effects go.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:54 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminizer View Post
Heres a general "guideline":

However, play around with the positions of your pedals. There is no right or wrong, and each position will give you a different sound.
thanx for the guidline jeminizer!
This could be very useful.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:32 AM

Reviews: 11

First of all put all of your time based pedals in the effects loop if you have one. With those I would put the delay last: Small Stone > Chorus (doesn't matter what order on those because you wouldn't run them together) > RE-20 Space Echo.

Now for the pedals out front:
Tuner > Wah Wah > DS1 > DS2 > Muff

I used to put my Wah after my Muff when I had one years ago to give it more bite and make it less mushy which was cool but I later learned that an OD pedal does an even better job. The Muff/OD combo is killer. It really brings the best out of them. If you want to know what that sounds like listen to Gilmour's leads.

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 Boss pedals, which order is best? bbovee Gear and Equipment 15 09-20-2011 09:33 PM
order of pedals??? Cam-Vai Gear and Equipment 15 08-15-2009 11:22 PM
order of pedals.... chopvai Gear and Equipment 0 06-10-2008 03:38 PM
When can i order pedals from U.S. or europe Dave Goodland Gear and Equipment 6 05-06-2003 04:44 PM
Pedals - What order? Drache713 Gear and Equipment 3 07-13-2002 07:57 PM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29