<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:25 AM

Re: What to get? Legacy 3 or Axe-FX?

Please note that these guys are using AXE only in FX loop of their normal amps so they are not replacing their amps with it

If you are willing to spend time and have patience to learn the unit , get it. Btw, it has a Leggy model amp that is based on Legacy 1. I really like it!
And check out Tone Match feature..
Old 12-13-2012, 03:48 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnecs View Post
Please note that these guys are using AXE only in FX loop of their normal amps so they are not replacing their amps with it

If you are willing to spend time and have patience to learn the unit , get it. Btw, it has a Leggy model amp that is based on Legacy 1. I really like it!
And check out Tone Match feature..

Yeah, that's how I understand it too with guys like Petrucci, Vai, Stevens. They're not simply using it as their "amp", but rather, as an outboard FX processor with their tube amps. I can't imagine Petrucci ever giving up his Mesas.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:03 PM

Reviews: 15

Here's a video of Petrucci's live rig.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sej4qZ6-Fs
Old 12-13-2012, 07:11 PM
(a)

Reviews: 18

You may be able to get an Axe but, keep in mind that if you want to use it live or even to practice, you'll have to get:

A decent pair of monitors
or FRFR solution
or Power Amp plus speaker cab
or Guitar Amp plus cab
or guitar combo amp
Plus a midi foot controller

Either way, you'd be looking somewhere in the neighborhood of $4K when it's all said and done.

You might want to think about what type of budget you're working with to determine the kind of equipment you can afford.

Jimmy

Last edited by jb4674; 12-14-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:36 PM

Reviews: 37

chris broderickof megadeth uses only the axefx and his tone is amazing.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
The question should be.

<snip>

Or should i get one of the crappiest amps ever that does nothing but vaish bluesy crapp that weighs a ton and ill regret it for years to come with a bad back and not enough gain to satisfy my neads and the gain i have is weird (organic my butt) sounding even at high volumes with an o.d. pedal still sucks.

</snip>
Well, I was going to ask what the "Legacy 3" was, but I guess I've found my answer!!
Old 12-14-2012, 03:15 AM

I used to be a "tube amp snob" and salivated over names such as Matchless, Fuchs, 65Amps, etc. I had a collection of boutique pedals worth more than my car, and I wouldn't even piss on a rack effects unit. But a while back I was given a gently used Digitech GSP-2101 Artist Studio Tube preamp multi-effects unit in trade. Against my better judgement I plugged into it...and wouldn't you know, I'm hooked!! Although its 18-year-old technology, I'm having more fun with this fu*king thing than I ever thought imaginable. I even went out and bought a rack and Mesa 20/20 power amp to run it!!

So, if the Axe FX is anything like the Digitech...GO FOR IT!! I realize the AxeFX is totally SS where my Digitech uses two 12AX7 for preamp, but the sound clips I've heard from the Fractal site are SWEET...it doesn't seem to have that sterile Line-6 solid state sound.

I just wish the local GC carried the Fractal stuff so I could demo it.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:05 AM

Reviews: 37

another alternative is the 11 rack.
you can use it live just like the axe2 but alot cheaper like 400.used
i love mine but i know the axe is better. not in sound just tons more effects and amp sims.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
another alternative is the 11 rack.
you can use it live just like the axe2 but alot cheaper like 400.used
i love mine but i know the axe is better. not in sound just tons more effects and amp sims.
the axe is on a whole different level. i'm a line6 user and i would easily move to the axe fx is i could: no hesitation.

rich
Old 12-15-2012, 11:09 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchfan6 View Post
Yeah, that's how I understand it too with guys like Petrucci, Vai, Stevens. They're not simply using it as their "amp", but rather, as an outboard FX processor with their tube amps. I can't imagine Petrucci ever giving up his Mesas.
Now that I just re-watched the videos, I guess I misunderstood it the first time. These guys are still using the power amps they endorse live.

By the way the Steve Vai Rig Rundown is pretty awesome if you've never watched it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raxhgWqS2eU
Old 12-15-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I've not played either, but this is what I've gathered from watching a number of Youtube videos detailing pro setups.

There are a lot of guys who are very into equipment who are moving to Axe-Fx 2. In the video I saw with Vai, he basically says that he uses it all the time in the studio but not live. But his reason for not using it live is not very good. He basically gives no reason at all. He just sort of implies that he feels like he should use his Legacy live.

In the Petrucci video I saw, he says that he uses it live, but often uses real pedals. Again, his reason for using real pedals is kind of stupid. His tech says that John just likes stepping on real pedals instead of a control board.

Petrucci's live tone is incredibly good from the perspective of "wow, that sounds just like the album". The main selling point of Axe-Fx is that it's easy to get a live sound that is very close to a recorded sound. One of the most common complaints I've read is that it doesn't sound like a real amp. It sounds like a recording of a real amp. So if you want the tone you hear on the CD, you'll get it easier with Axe-Fx than a real amp.

At this point I feel it's a no-brainer. I'd get the Axe-Fx. If you pair this with a really good program like Ableton Live, you can easily record, loop, play over backing tracks, etc. And it would be totally friendly to your neighbors.
This is my biggest issue ever that I still haven't tackled with myself. I've been playing a PODxt for a long long time through nice computer speakers (hate it through headphones though). Now that I just got a tube amp again (Mesa Roadster) I'm struggling to get used to the sound of a raw amp (since the PODxt does go after a recorded sound rather than raw). Maybe there is a mentality to tackle that an amp is a good "starting point" tone that may been to be added upon.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:19 AM

I was a long term tube amp guy for years.I switched to the axe in 2009.First a standard, then the axe2 over a year ago.The evolution of this product during that time has been almost unbelievable.For recording I almost feel like I am cheating because it so easy to dial up a tone and have it drop right in the mix.My ear is pretty good and I really can't tell the difference anymore.Everyone talks about the amp in the room sound but in reality every gig I played and recording I had made before the axe was a miced up tube amp.This is what the audience hears.It is also nice to have good tone at any volume, especially late at night.I still like tube amps they just are not versatile enough to me anymore.The most important thing is it inspires me to play.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:00 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVsakeN View Post
This is my biggest issue ever that I still haven't tackled with myself. I've been playing a PODxt for a long long time through nice computer speakers (hate it through headphones though). Now that I just got a tube amp again (Mesa Roadster) I'm struggling to get used to the sound of a raw amp (since the PODxt does go after a recorded sound rather than raw). Maybe there is a mentality to tackle that an amp is a good "starting point" tone that may been to be added upon.
I've just bought my first house after living in an apartment for my whole life. So amps just haven't been a good fit. I've been using a POD X3 for the last few years and surprisingly, I think it sounds way better through headphones. I also can run it through studio monitors (KRK Rockit 6) but I think it sound muddy and terrible. I've never been able to figure out why it sounds so different? Music sounds identical, so it isn't the fault of the monitors.

But I know that what I like is the recorded sound, not a raw amp sound. I also really like the idea of integrating with the computer and getting the tone I want at any volume. The sound I really like is power tube distortion, which you simply can't get without going to concert volume. I'm hoping to get myself an Axe-FX unit at some point.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
chris broderickof megadeth uses only the axefx and his tone is amazing.
Have to agree that Chris Broderick current rig is just the AxeFX 2 and the his tone is great. He was using ENGL and Marshall before switching to AxeFX 2.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:52 PM

Reviews: 12

Go with the Axe Fx.

It's a fairly easy to use device. There are a LOT of parameters you can mess with. And if you truly know what each of them does it's pretty easy to get 'real' amp tone. Also, FW 9.0.1 that just came out sounds amazingly organic. I just gigged it today and got multiple compliments (I even got a compliment by the sound guy) that it sounded awesome. I've only had it for about 2 months now but have gigged it 20+ times and love it.

Let's face it, technology is becoming so advanced that it can finally replicate real tube sounds. The FW updates can only make it better...can't update a tube amp(short of a major change like OT or tubes $$).

Show/Hide Posting Rules