<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:27 AM

Re: What to get? Legacy 3 or Axe-FX?

I saw Periphery using the axe fx for all their sounds at a gig in Manchester. The venue is one I've seen loads of artists at and also played myself a few times. It's one of the best 'guitar sound' venues.
I have to say that their sound was the worst I've heard there, however it may have been outstanding for them on stage as it would be much easier to monitor. So, for me, Axe-Fx is most definitely what an artist may want but probably not what the audience may prefer.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:56 AM

Much as I like Periphery, their live sound is generally awful. I don't think that is due to their choice of equipment, I think it is despite their choice of equipment.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
Much as I like Periphery, their live sound is generally awful. I don't think that is due to their choice of equipment, I think it is despite their choice of equipment.
Fair play. Strange coincidence though....
In addition, the main support that night were using Axe FX and also had the same muffled and undefined sound (it could take time for engineers to get used to the tech though to be fair) whereas the opening act used traditional amps and sounded absolutely astounding in comparison.
I have no actual experience with the Kemper Profiling amp but by all accounts that seems to be a huge step forward from the Axe FX. Looking forward to trying one.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyTubes View Post
Go with the Axe Fx.

It's a fairly easy to use device. There are a LOT of parameters you can mess with. And if you truly know what each of them does it's pretty easy to get 'real' amp tone. Also, FW 9.0.1 that just came out sounds amazingly organic. I just gigged it today and got multiple compliments (I even got a compliment by the sound guy) that it sounded awesome. I've only had it for about 2 months now but have gigged it 20+ times and love it.

Let's face it, technology is becoming so advanced that it can finally replicate real tube sounds. The FW updates can only make it better...can't update a tube amp(short of a major change like OT or tubes $$).
Have to agree, I was a tube snob before I try an Axe FX.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:41 PM

So I've mainly been playing the Legacy3 for the past week, no effects, through a 4x12 filled with V30's. It's fantastic. There are lots of interesting tones you can get out of it especially if you have multiple guitar/pickup combinations. There's just something about the way it reacts to attack as well as subtle changes to the various settings. A really wonderful tube amp. My only criticism is it tends to be dark unless the presence is all the way up. I'd like to see a more gradual slope in the tone curve. It almost acts as if it's a linear pot.

I've had an Eleven Rack since some time this summer. I play it through a set of M-Audio BX8 D2's or the 4x12 cab powered by a Matrix 400W digital amp. I found a lot of tones that worked for me from the factory presets/expansion packs and the overall versatility is really amazing. I've been putting it off for some time but I've started to go through and work on custom patches and load a bunch of rigs that other users have generated. The more I use it, the more I'm blown away by the tones I get out of it. I play each patch through one guitar (S5470 with gravity storms) on all the pickup settings, rolling the volume and tone back, etc...finding what works and what doesn't. I spent about four hours tonight working through half a dozen patches. I cannot fathom how the Axe could be that much better (in the environment I play in) especially given the $2,000 price difference. I scored a brand new 11R w/Protools 10 and the expansion pack for $540 shipped and I'm really, really blown away by it.

I guess it boils down to how you're going to use it and whether or not you need all the bells and whistles the Axe has. That extra $2K will go a long, long way towards other gear, monitors, a Legacy3 head, lessons, etc...but if you have the funds....

My next move is to integrate the Legacy and the 11R and I'm pretty sure it'll be a great combination. And yes, the 11R to me, nails the tube amp sound and feel for the most part with some patches better than others. I still enjoy playing through the Legacy however as it's a hair more sensitive to your inputs and the tone is a bit more "round" for lack of a better term. I still have a lot of work dialing in the 11R though.

If all I had was the Legacy3, I'd always have that little itch in the back of my head for something like the 11R, Axe or Kemper. But that's just me.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelIV View Post
If all I had was the Legacy3, I'd always have that little itch in the back of my head for something like the 11R, Axe or Kemper. But that's just me.
i've got a decent selection of amps and cabs(sig 5150 included) and i covet the axe fx.

rich
Old 12-20-2012, 01:13 AM

Dave Mustaine has just made the switch,was only a matter of time with Chris already using Axe FX.
My ULTRA will be with me for a long long time,quite simply THE best guitar related product i have ever owned,wished i had had it since i started playing.
I'm amazed and inspired daily by it and it will do pretty much anything needed,you just gotta tweak it right.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:29 AM

Dude get the legacy, I went through that faze years ago with line 6. Go see how much a pod 2.0, pod pro,rp2000,ada preamp etc, is going for used now these days, that stuff doest hold its value very long, but your good old tube head will( at least most of them). Trust me down the road you will be a happier camper
Old 12-20-2012, 09:44 AM

Reviews: 37
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan80 View Post
Dude get the legacy, I went through that faze years ago with line 6. Go see how much a pod 2.0, pod pro,rp2000,ada preamp etc, is going for used now these days, that stuff doest hold its value very long, but your good old tube head will( at least most of them). Trust me down the road you will be a happier camper
This is the guy you can blame in the future.

Foreal man get the axe2 and later when everone sells the crapp legacy 3 they will be 400.00 on ebay like the 1 is now.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
This is the guy you can blame in the future.

Foreal man get the axe2 and later when everone sells the crapp legacy 3 they will be 400.00 on ebay like the 1 is now.
Alright fine.. go ahead and get the axe-fx. But at least do me a favor and go and look at the price's of a used 1980s jcm800 or even a 1990s dual or triple rec, then go look at the used price's of the use to be top of the line modeling guitar systems from the past. Thats all im saying
Old 12-20-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Now that I just re-watched the videos, I guess I misunderstood it the first time. These guys are still using the power amps they endorse live.

By the way the Steve Vai Rig Rundown is pretty awesome if you've never watched it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raxhgWqS2eU
Close, but still not right. They're using their amps as a preamp AND as a poweramp, and using the AxeFX as a FX processor. As a few others have pointed out, there are definitely bands out there who use AxeFX units as their sole amp in their rig, but all the guys you mentioned are using it for FX only.

It's a cool unit for sure, that said, but I still play a tube head.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:52 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Close, but still not right. They're using their amps as a preamp AND as a poweramp, and using the AxeFX as a FX processor. As a few others have pointed out, there are definitely bands out there who use AxeFX units as their sole amp in their rig, but all the guys you mentioned are using it for FX only.

I think Chris Broderick of MegaDeath is using the AxeFX2 for amp, FX, and cab sim.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:48 PM

Reviews: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11racksfx View Post
I think Chris Broderick of MegaDeath is using the AxeFX2 for amp, FX, and cab sim.
yep and neil schon from journey and steve vai has a power amp in his rig?
and i got a pic of john poetrucci using only an axe2 in the studio .
Old 12-20-2012, 04:51 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post

Yeah,,,me too....I'll be lugging my SLO head around until the end. The scary thing about this new digital technology is,,,as someone pointed out,,, it may be getting better and better, but just like computers these days, once you jump in, you have to keep upgrading. At those prices, I'd rather have my SLO than an equally priced piece of digital gear that will be outdated soon. 50 years from now, my SLO will still be a sweet sounding , long lasting piece of analog awesomeness that the modelers will still be sampling for their digital universe.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchfan6 View Post
but just like computers these days, once you jump in, you have to keep upgrading.
Why? If you have a bit of gear that you like the sound of, the existence of new versions doesn't degrade the sound quality.
I'm very happy with my Axe FX ultra. It sounded just as good after the II was released as it did before. I'll replace it when it no longer meets my needs, not just because there are newer shiny toys.
For the same reason I still use a Marshall 6100. There are many newer amps out there that have more channels, options etc, but the 6100 still works for me.

Show/Hide Posting Rules