<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:48 AM

What to get? Legacy 3 or Axe-FX?

Hi, I'm trying to make a decision here on what equipment I should buy.
It would be very helpful to here some of your opinions.

Today I play my Jem through a pod X3 (bean version). I have managed to get a decent vai like tone out of this, but there is something missing and I'm not really sure what. However, I want to try something better.

I play alot of Vai songs and I love his tone and I love the sound of the Legacy amp. I have never played through a tube amp and never played the Legacy amp but I whould love to have a Legacy, I think.. But I don't want to be a copycat. I wan't to find my own sound eventually.

I recently heard about the Axe-fx II and it seems very impressive.
I play mostly through headphones because of our neighbors, but playing through speakers at lower volumes should be fine too. The Legacy 3 has a master volume so that will sound good at low volumes too right?
I want to do some recording and the ease of recording with the Axe-fx seems great.

Should I buy the Legacy 3+cabinet, pedals, recording gear and try to build my own tone from that? Or should I just get the Axe-fx II so I have alot of amp sims to choose from? I heard that the Axe-fx have a Legacy sim in it.
If I buy an Axe-fx I will eventually get a power amp and a cabinet if I get in a band to play live.

This is alot of money for me so I want to make the right decision from the beginning.

Please share some of your experience and opinions, thanks.

Cheers

Last edited by mrtrapp; 12-07-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:16 AM

Re: What to get? Legacy 3 or Axe-FX?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a39akB1RsEQ

thou shalt covet......

rich
Old 12-07-2012, 07:28 AM

idea

get both. get the legacy 3 first then a muli-fx unit. The legacy is clean enough to serve as a power amp for the fx unit.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 AM

Reviews: 37
Smile

The question should be.

Should i get what most the pros are using with endless amps and effects built in that sounds amazing and i can carry one powered mackie to a gig and run others to p.a. system instead of toating heavy tons of crapp gear if i want to play live and dont have to go deaf to get descent tone out of the thing ?

Or should i get one of the crappiest amps ever that does nothing but vaish bluesy crapp that weighs a ton and ill regret it for years to come with a bad back and not enough gain to satisfy my neads and the gain i have is weird (organic my butt) sounding even at high volumes with an o.d. pedal still sucks .
oh yeah forgot ( vais tone has little to do with the legacy as he runs so much compression and effects ).and im sure everyone knows he only uses the legacy 1 still other is for endorsement. and he has an axefx2 in there so go figure.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:37 AM

Good point there andresfury.
But ok, for me it's leaning to the Axe-fx II anyway, but not 100% sure yet.

Yeah I'm aware that his signal is very processed.
Is the Legacy really that bad? I have listened to it some times with a guitar straight in to the amp and it sounded sweet to me and great cleans
Have someone here compared the real Legacy with the Cali Leggy on the axe-fx?
I only found a couple of bad comparisons on the web.

I was on a Vai concert a couple of weeks ago and he used two Legacy 3 heads and two Legacy 1 heads with an Axe-fx II only for the effects.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtrapp View Post
I was on a Vai concert a couple of weeks ago and he used two Legacy 3 heads and two Legacy 1 heads with an Axe-fx II only for the effects.
I was at a Vai concert a couple months ago and the Legacy 3 amp head was sitting on top of the Legacy 1, but it wasn't being used. He just got the L3 before they started the tour and his crew haven't had the time to install them into his rig yet. I was there when they were setting up and you can see why this would be a daunting task. The Axe FX 2 was just being used for time based effects.

Last edited by danderson; 12-07-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:17 AM

Reviews: 2

Have the AxFx and love it. Can't go wrong and resale is great if it is not for you.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:44 AM

AXE FX !!

You will smile for weeks.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:01 PM

http://www.tonymckenzie.com/axe-fx-II.htm
I love a balanced argument.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine Boy View Post
http://www.tonymckenzie.com/axe-fx-II.htm
I love a balanced argument.
Every so often I've read one of his "reviews". He always manages to come across as an arrogant idiot.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:30 PM

I had the same choice some time ago. AXE won the debate.
My main thoughts:
- bedroom level > AXE
- headphones > AXE
- authentic Vai tone without much tweaking > Legacy (but see bedroom level )
- other tones > Axe

Overal- I am very satisfied with AXE. Be aware that through the headphones you will get different sound than you would expect due to absence of feedback (actually similar would happen if you turn down master on Leggy or use iso cabinet), so you will need to dig into IRs and FarFields which is great with Axe..
Old 12-08-2012, 10:35 PM

Reviews: 2

I'm sort of old school in that I'm an "amp" guy. I say real amp with a nice effects unit. Although I've never played a Legacy of any kind, it is an all tube amp, which means nice, organic analog overdrive. To me, that is a solid "tone" foundation. As for me, I have a Soldano SLO head which will forever be my go to amp, but I do use a TC electronic Gmajor 2 in its loop for versatility for my top 40 band. Then again, I've never played through this AXE FX unit....but I do know that every other digital distortion unit I've ever tried over my many years,,,and it has been a lot,,,,has left me cold in the "playing response" department. Maybe this unit has fixed that disconnect,,,,I don't know. But I'm able to play my best with a real tube amp and addicted to the way it responds, and I'm not switching for anything.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:49 PM

Not apples to apples but I have an Eleven Rack and have multiple power options, from monitors to a Matrix running through a 4x12 cab. I just bought a Legacy 3 today and have to say, I'm impressed. Extremely versatile with a ton of sounds depending on guitar, pickups, and of course, amp settings. I can see playing through the Legacy quite a bit unless I'm looking for something very specific that the 11R can give me.

With that said, the Axe has great effects and tons of "tones" to choose from. But it's also 3X the price. And then you have to think about what your'e going to run it through and spend lots of money on that too. If money isn't an option, Axe. But I have to agree with lynchfan6, there is something about tube amps. The Legacy is very clear and defined even at full tilt where the digital stuff sometimes looses out without endless tweaking.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:56 AM
(a)

I've not played either, but this is what I've gathered from watching a number of Youtube videos detailing pro setups.

There are a lot of guys who are very into equipment who are moving to Axe-Fx 2. In the video I saw with Vai, he basically says that he uses it all the time in the studio but not live. But his reason for not using it live is not very good. He basically gives no reason at all. He just sort of implies that he feels like he should use his Legacy live.

In the Petrucci video I saw, he says that he uses it live, but often uses real pedals. Again, his reason for using real pedals is kind of stupid. His tech says that John just likes stepping on real pedals instead of a control board.

Petrucci's live tone is incredibly good from the perspective of "wow, that sounds just like the album". The main selling point of Axe-Fx is that it's easy to get a live sound that is very close to a recorded sound. One of the most common complaints I've read is that it doesn't sound like a real amp. It sounds like a recording of a real amp. So if you want the tone you hear on the CD, you'll get it easier with Axe-Fx than a real amp.

At this point I feel it's a no-brainer. I'd get the Axe-Fx. If you pair this with a really good program like Ableton Live, you can easily record, loop, play over backing tracks, etc. And it would be totally friendly to your neighbors.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I've not played either, but this is what I've gathered from watching a number of Youtube videos detailing pro setups.

There are a lot of guys who are very into equipment who are moving to Axe-Fx 2. In the video I saw with Vai, he basically says that he uses it all the time in the studio but not live. But his reason for not using it live is not very good. He basically gives no reason at all. He just sort of implies that he feels like he should use his Legacy live.

In the Petrucci video I saw, he says that he uses it live, but often uses real pedals. Again, his reason for using real pedals is kind of stupid. His tech says that John just likes stepping on real pedals instead of a control board.

Petrucci's live tone is incredibly good from the perspective of "wow, that sounds just like the album". The main selling point of Axe-Fx is that it's easy to get a live sound that is very close to a recorded sound. One of the most common complaints I've read is that it doesn't sound like a real amp. It sounds like a recording of a real amp. So if you want the tone you hear on the CD, you'll get it easier with Axe-Fx than a real amp.

At this point I feel it's a no-brainer. I'd get the Axe-Fx. If you pair this with a really good program like Ableton Live, you can easily record, loop, play over backing tracks, etc. And it would be totally friendly to your neighbors.
I think the elusive reason for not using it live may have to do with his Carvin endorsement.
Just a guess, though--but there's probably something in the contract that he has to be "seen" playing through one.

To the OP--you're not a copycat for wanting a great amp.
If that's what you want--get it!!!
I'm still an old school "amp guy" too--and have a Legacy....among the other tube heads.
If you're on a budget: B-52 AT-100 or Jet City JCA22H--those rock.

Show/Hide Posting Rules