Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  riggaz 
#1 ·
Ok, this will be my first amp purchase.

i already have a 10 watt squire (lol) and a 50 watt marshall acoustic, which i run my zoom effects pedal through. Sounds like ass.

Im wanting to get a Vai type sound (like that hasnt been asked before), extremely high harmonics, nice cleans, and heavy distortion all in one.

(think Tender Surrender).

Money is not a problem.

Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
Remember that if you get a higher wttage amp, you will have to crank it up more to get power-amp saturation. Vai gets his tone (aside from using many effects) by cranking up his Legacies (or Marshall JCM800's/900's in the old days to get that smooth power-amp distortion.

I would try to stick at 50w to below.

#6 ·
I've personally come to the conclusion that to look for any one type of tone you should look at what that artist uses and start there....without the same gear you're already at a compromise.....so if you want Vai-esque a Legacy would be the amp to start with, then add the appropriate effects and oh yeah...about 20,000 hours of dedicated practice to develop the technique that creates the "real" Vai tones....

I personally love my Mesa Roadster though...very flexible 4 channel amp from Fender like cleans to crushing distortion and everything in between. Awesome amp!

#15 ·
Money is not a problem.

Thanks in advance.
Lol then why post this >

ive been looking around for quite a while, but havnt been able to find other luthiers. Ill try to ask friends and family to see if they know anyone.

a neck will cost me more than 50 pounds, it might save me money in the long run (fret crowning, replacement e.t.c).

and im only 15, so money is a big problem for me.

if i had the money i probably would have went ahead with the fret level.

i just want to see whats the most economic way for me.
Here>

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64401

#21 ·
If money really, really isn't an option. Bogner XTC

However the carvin legacy is an awesome amp and you can have several stacks for the price of the bogner head

I don't really understand the ENGL suggestions, they are nice but very far away from vai's tone. Vai = smooth, dark, spongy ENGL = cold and agressive

The "legacy isn't good for rhythm" thing is bull****. Yes, it is designed to be lead friendly but it can get a great marshallesque rhythm tone

#25 ·
Vai uses a Carvin Legacy100w all tube / valve head, to get a similar sound you will have to go for tube / valve amp as well because solid state amps will not have the same distortion characteristics ( they sound aweful ) his amps also use Celestion Vintage 30 speakers which obviously have a sound of there own, Laney do some really resonably priced tube / valveamps and i've got one which i modded, out of the box they sound better than most but with some better quality valves and speakers can sound truly amazing! Vox AC30 are legendary valve amps as well and are better quality but are more expensive obviously. You can retro fit Celestion Vintage 30s 12" spekaers to any amp which will get you somewhere close to his sound and will blow away any solid state ( transistor ) amp. You will not need as much as 50 watts though valve amps have more balls than transistor amps and overdrive to higher than the stated wattage and give you that lovely sound that you are looking for, good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.