<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:34 AM

Which kind of casters for Jsx combo amp?

For those of you who have this amp, ya'll know this beast is heavy. I need to put casters on mine, before i injure my back.

What kind of casters is best suited for this amp.......the friction lock type or the ones with the flat base where you need 4 screws to attach it to the base of the cabinet??

Keep in mind the spring reverb unit sits at the bottom of the cab, and i dont want to catch it with a "caster" screw.

I've never attached casters on a combo before.......so i want to make the right choice on the type that is best suited for this particular combo amp.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Banned

Re: Which kind of casters for Jsx combo amp?

....or equivalent.
http://store.uhaul.com/product_detail.aspx?id=5017

Really, I'm not kidding

Last edited by Darin; 02-09-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:23 PM

I would go with these. The Trak-Loc ones. Not sure which size you'd need. 2" or 3". They are expensive though.

http://mesa.stores.yahoo.net/harac.html

I used some Peavey casters (2" I think) but the bearings rattle and it was a pain in the butt to drill the holes without damaging the amp. Here's mine:

-Rick

p.s. I agree with Darin.

Last edited by punchingboy; 02-10-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:31 AM

Darin I got this hand truck today wow this thing is great. at only $30 it feels well built enough to withstand the jsx. I used it for a jam session I think it was the better route over the casters because I was able to wheel other stuff at the same time on top of the jsx and I love how this thing folds flat and compact a great space saver. Now I would recommend Darins advice to everyone.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer2 View Post
Darin I got this hand truck today wow this thing is great. at only $30 it feels well built enough to withstand the jsx. I used it for a jam session I think it was the better route over the casters because I was able to wheel other stuff at the same time on top of the jsx and I love how this thing folds flat and compact a great space saver. Now I would recommend Darins advice to everyone.

The problem with casters is, they are always on. Unless you get removable ones, but still, they don't roll well over bumps or rough terrain, and just think of your tubes. Those casters don't have shock absorbers. Hand trucks have bigger tires and are smoother and healthier for your amp, and usable for other stuff as well. Without casters, you can throw your 2x12 on top of a cab and not worry about it rolling off.

Rock on!!!

-Darin
Old 02-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchingboy View Post
I would go with these. The Trak-Loc ones. Not sure which size you'd need. 2" or 3". They are expensive though.

I used some Peavey casters (2" I think) but the bearings rattle and it was a pain in the butt to drill the holes without damaging the amp. Here's mine:

-Rick

p.s. I agree with Darin.
Looks like we pretty much all use the same settings.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:

-Rick

p.s. I agree with Darin.

i noticed in the pic with the rear view of the jsx, your ohm/impedance switch is on the 16 ohms setting......shouldn't this be set on the 8 ohms??
Old 02-12-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer2 View Post
i noticed in the pic with the rear view of the jsx, your ohm/impedance switch is on the 16 ohms setting......shouldn't this be set on the 8 ohms??

I never noticed that. Thanks for the info. I don't really know much about that stuff. I think maybe my roomate had it hooked up to a 412 and I never switched it back.

So i should swith it to 8 ohms then?

-Rick
Old 02-13-2009, 02:47 PM

I guess it should be at 16 ohms. I was checking on the Peavey forum and found this(hope they don't mind me posting it):

There are two parallel speaker outputs on the JSX Combo, one of which is connected to the internal speakers.

The speakers are 8 ohms each, wired in parallel (edit- series, not parallel!), so the total load is 16 ohms. The switch should be set to 16 ohms for the internal speakers.
If you add a 16 enclosure along with the internal speakers, set the switch to 8 ohms.

So there we have it.

-Rick
Old 02-13-2009, 04:50 PM

Just get one of these:
https://www.carvinguitars.com/produc...p?product=DB35

Cheap, portable, designed specifically for the purpose, unobtrusive, and you can use it for multiple things. Win/Win.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I guess it should be at 16 ohms. I was checking on the Peavey forum and found this(hope they don't mind me posting it):

There are two parallel speaker outputs on the JSX Combo, one of which is connected to the internal speakers.

The speakers are 8 ohms each, wired in parallel (edit- series, not parallel!), so the total load is 16 ohms. The switch should be set to 16 ohms for the internal speakers.
If you add a 16 enclosure along with the internal speakers, set the switch to 8 ohms.

So there we have it.

-Rick

Hi Punch, thanks for the info., sorry for the confusion. I forgot that they were wired in series.......so yes that makes sense now. Mine was set at 8 ohms........i think it got moved during transportation or something....and i didnt even notice it until recently. I'll have to switch mine back to 16.

Show/Hide Posting Rules