Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Why I hate Dell

6K views 63 replies 23 participants last post by  screamndemon69 
#1 ·
There's a story for why I strongly dislike Dell, and this is going to turn into a flame war, but I guarantee you will not be able to beat me. Know beforehand that I have had AMPLE experience with both PCs and Macs, and have chosen Apple for personal use for a reason.

So, in January 2005, I bought a Dell XPS, as I was a heavy gamer at the time (Rome: Total War and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion). Set it to 1GB of RAM for some extra power, and upgraded the video card. Decent specs, 2 GHz Intel processor and 80 GB Hard drive.

The day I recieved it (XPS M140), everything was working fine (XP Media Center). Then, within one week, my games started lagging. This is, remember, a gaming machine that more than surpasses the required specs of my games. It got so bad that I started running into 3 frames per second. Then, all of a sudden, MS Word wouldn't open. Then Firefox started acting funny, and would only boot in Safe Mode. Tech support was hell, I probably spent about two-thirds of my free time with them, trying to fix everything. Mind you, I do regular virus scans on my Windows PCs, Norton was very good at that time. I also had Ad-Aware and Spybot, not to mention Windows Defender. Finally, I had it with them. I sent my machine back after about two weeks with it, and got a full refund. I bought an Apple iMac with that money, and have not had a SINGLE problem for a year and a half, both in Mac OS and in Windows. Running Windows on the hardware is efficient, and using Boot Camp (free btw, not $79 like Parallels, though Parallels is good too) lets me game occasionally, though now I don't have as much time and removed the partition.

And to disprove the "lemon" computer skeptics, my sister had the EXACT same machine, she started having problems one year later (about six months ago). Tech support there was even worse. I had at least four two-hour chats with them, and got nowhere. They finally sent a repair box to send it back to them so a certified Dell tech could repair it. (Mind you, I had already diagnosed the problem: the Motherboard had issues, but I didn't want to crack open the laptop and void the warranty that allowed Dell to fix it). We sent it in, and had DHL records that the computer had been successfully sent. MORE hell with Dell tech support, and eventually, Dell admitted they had lost the laptop one month later. They finally sent us a new one (XPS M1410), which although is small, is now starting to have problems (the computer ALWAYS disconnects from our wireless network constantly). Once again, not a SINGLE problem with the iMac. It's running faster than the other two computers combined, and the specs are lower (less RAM, same Video Cad, only thing that's faster is the processor, 1.83 GHz Core Duo).

So THAT'S why I dislike Dell. I have no problem with Windows, I personally just find it's less efficient than *UNIX operating systems, including Linux and OS X.

As for those of you who are saying that Apple doesn't have malware due to it's small user base, it's NOT because of the 4.5% of Apple users out there. It actually has to do with the platform. OS X (Apple's OS) doesn't use the .exe files to run commands and such, but rather uses .dmg files, which opens a disk image and allows you to drag and drop the application into your application folder. If ANYTHING tries to install itself, you are given a message to type in your password, so you'll know if something funky's going on. The worst a virus can do on a Mac is take up space and transmit to other computers. Sure, viruses can affect Windows partitions through Boot Camp or Parallels, but they will not touch the OS X partition.

The Apple superiority complex comes with all Mac users. Deal with it, we all have it. You can mock it and make fun of it, but we'll be laughing when you all have viruses. It's true, we're egotistical, but that's Steven Jobs, let alone the Mac community, for you. ALL of my software runs efficiently and cleanly, and for every Windows application, there is a similar or better application for OS X, save gaming.

See less See more
#44 ·
Yes... but anyway back to the topic at hand.

You know, glen, if I didn't know better, I'd say you have a stronger bias against Apple than I do against Dell. We are egotistical, yes, I'll give you that. I stated that in the first post. But, would you at least cut us a break and see things through our eyes? I dislike Dell because of the differences in hardware between them and OS X. I have NOTHING against Windows, I just want more dependable hardware, and so far Apple has given me that. Dell? It's crapped out on me THREE times, so I will never buy a Dell again. My Apple has been running strong for a year and a half, I have NEVER had to call tech support regarding my Apple, and I bought the warranty extension which I probably won't need; I haven't even opened it other than to register the AppleCare warranty. The only time I've ever called Apple's tech support was regarding an iPod issue (it was in my pocket and a friend threw me in a pool), and they were VERY friendly, and spoke without an accent (I can say that, I'm Indian). But my bias against Dell comes from the reliable crap they keep feeding me, time and again. Sure, in the future, Apple may crap out on me, but until then, I'll stick to their machines.

As for recording, Logic Pro/Pro Tools/other recording companies are eons ahead of their Windows counterparts and are much more efficient. I've used Cubase on Windows, and it was terrible, both in speed and in the actual quality of the recording. Never had a single problem with Garageband, the free app that came on my Mac, and it works much better.

No, Apple and Dell do not use the same internal components; you're overlooking one of the most important components, the motherboard. I'm not sure what Dell uses, but Apple uses a "logic board" (that's what it's called, for those of you non-techies out there). Sure, logic boards have on numerous occasions fried, but it's a fairly simple replacement, and although expensive to replace, is usually fairly consistent.

And btw, you CAN upgrade Apple computers, but only RAM (and the hard drive on MacBooks). But, you won't need to upgrade more than RAM. I've spoken to people who have machines from 1997 and are still running efficiently, with all them having to do is upgrade RAM. These machines will slowly become obselete, but that will be about two years from now when Leopard becomes the standard over Tiger. Honestly, I have a 1997 Dell, and it crapped out on me four years ago.

As far as viruses on Windows go, no you will not get viruses if you are amply protected and know what you're doing. But I was just stating why viruses do not affect OS X or Apples.

#47 ·
Yes... but anyway back to the topic at hand.

The only time I've ever called Apple's tech support was regarding an iPod issue (it was in my pocket and a friend threw me in a pool), and they were VERY friendly, and spoke without an accent (I can say that, I'm Indian).
I laughed out loud when I read that. :lol:

#45 ·
There's a story for why I strongly dislike Dell, and this is going to turn into a flame war, but I guarantee you will not be able to beat me. Know beforehand that I have had AMPLE experience with both PCs and Macs, and have chosen Apple for personal use for a reason.

So, in January 2005, I bought a Dell XPS, as I was a heavy gamer at the time (Rome: Total War and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion). Set it to 1GB of RAM for some extra power, and upgraded the video card. Decent specs, 2 GHz Intel processor and 80 GB Hard drive.

The day I recieved it (XPS M140), everything was working fine (XP Media Center). Then, within one week, my games started lagging. This is, remember, a gaming machine that more than surpasses the required specs of my games. It got so bad that I started running into 3 frames per second. Then, all of a sudden, MS Word wouldn't open. Then Firefox started acting funny, and would only boot in Safe Mode. Tech support was hell, I probably spent about two-thirds of my free time with them, trying to fix everything. Mind you, I do regular virus scans on my Windows PCs, Norton was very good at that time. I also had Ad-Aware and Spybot, not to mention Windows Defender. Finally, I had it with them. I sent my machine back after about two weeks with it, and got a full refund. I bought an Apple iMac with that money, and have not had a SINGLE problem for a year and a half, both in Mac OS and in Windows. Running Windows on the hardware is efficient, and using Boot Camp (free btw, not $79 like Parallels, though Parallels is good too) lets me game occasionally, though now I don't have as much time and removed the partition.

And to disprove the "lemon" computer skeptics, my sister had the EXACT same machine, she started having problems one year later (about six months ago). Tech support there was even worse. I had at least four two-hour chats with them, and got nowhere. They finally sent a repair box to send it back to them so a certified Dell tech could repair it. (Mind you, I had already diagnosed the problem: the Motherboard had issues, but I didn't want to crack open the laptop and void the warranty that allowed Dell to fix it). We sent it in, and had DHL records that the computer had been successfully sent. MORE hell with Dell tech support, and eventually, Dell admitted they had lost the laptop one month later. They finally sent us a new one (XPS M1410), which although is small, is now starting to have problems (the computer ALWAYS disconnects from our wireless network constantly). Once again, not a SINGLE problem with the iMac. It's running faster than the other two computers combined, and the specs are lower (less RAM, same Video Cad, only thing that's faster is the processor, 1.83 GHz Core Duo).

So THAT'S why I dislike Dell. I have no problem with Windows, I personally just find it's less efficient than *UNIX operating systems, including Linux and OS X.

As for those of you who are saying that Apple doesn't have malware due to it's small user base, it's NOT because of the 4.5% of Apple users out there. It actually has to do with the platform. OS X (Apple's OS) doesn't use the .exe files to run commands and such, but rather uses .dmg files, which opens a disk image and allows you to drag and drop the application into your application folder. If ANYTHING tries to install itself, you are given a message to type in your password, so you'll know if something funky's going on. The worst a virus can do on a Mac is take up space and transmit to other computers. Sure, viruses can affect Windows partitions through Boot Camp or Parallels, but they will not touch the OS X partition.

The Apple superiority complex comes with all Mac users. Deal with it, we all have it. You can mock it and make fun of it, but we'll be laughing when you all have viruses. It's true, we're egotistical, but that's Steven Jobs, let alone the Mac community, for you. ALL of my software runs efficiently and cleanly, and for every Windows application, there is a similar or better application for OS X, save gaming.
You bought a good computer; it sounds to me like you are describing software problems, not problems with the dell itself. A lot more things can go wrong with Windows than it can with Mac OS X. It drives me nuts when people say that Dell or any other computer manufacturer sucks because they are having problems with Windows. Most problems that arise with computers are not having to do with the hardware, but with the software. I've had a Dimension 4700 for quite some time now and it still runs problem free. When I have a problem, it's software related and I solve the problem.

#48 ·
No, it's not a software problem. I've stated numerous times that I have no problem with Windows; the hardware kept crapping out on me. And, it's happened on more than one occasion. If it were a software problem, I would have been able to fix it, I'm not an idiot when it comes to computers.

But, I can understand people blaming Dell for software problems. I, though, don't belong in that group.

#49 · (Edited)
The 1st post's rant was off base in a number of ways.
1stly he complains that the Dell after 6 months to a year slowed down?!
Gee, maybe the user loaded all kinds of Weather bug, purple monkey, bloated ad-ware laden software on the machine? I'd wager that a reformat-install would wipe out the problem, or even a less invasive and judicious running of MSCONFIG would handle 95% of the problems that user inflicted upon themselves.

These Pro MAC threads all tout the power and the glory, fine, great you love your machine, but many times they omit the ineptness of the users who NEED a bulletproof OS so they can't screw it up, nosing around where they shouldn't. Most mac users I've spoken with I wouldn't let walk my dog for fear it'd end up VERY different than I gave it.

These are probably disgruntled and confused AOL users to begin with.

#50 ·
The 1st post's rant was off base in a number of ways.
1stly he complains that the Dell after 6 months to a year slowed down?!
Gee, maybe the user loaded all kinds of Weather bug, purple monkey, bloated ad-ware laden software on the machine? I'd wager that a reformat-install would wipe out the problem, or even a less invasive and judicious running of MSCONFIG would handle 95% of the problems that user inflicted upon themselves.

These Pro MAC threads all tout the power and the glory, fine, great you love your machine, but many times they omit the ineptness of the users who NEED a bulletproof OS so they can't screw it up, nosing around where they shouldn't. Most mac users I've spoken with I wouldn't let walk my dog for fear it'd end up VERY different than I gave it.
:lol: Well said ;)

#53 ·
You don't need to do one of those COMPLETE 100% low level formats for windows to work flawlessly. The regular windows boot low level format is good enough. The only reason you would need to do one of those crazy formats is if you have confidential information on that drive that you need to get rid of once and for all. Otherwise data on your windows boot formated drive can still be recovered. Also, your HD isn't FULL of data on windows boot format. The only time it's FULL of data is if you do a quick format that only gets rid of the reference tables. Your windows boot low level format would still get rid of a significant chunk of data. (If you want to do a complete wipe out you can run that thing 7+ times, but that'd take forever -_-)

A lot of people don't go through the time to make their windows run faster especially by disabling the loads of useless startup applications. (quicktime tray anyone?) I can name a whole list of things people do to **** up their windows. So, for your average computer user that doesn't know the existence of msconfig... OS X is the way to go. Otherwise windows is a perfectly fine OS if you handle it with care.

#55 ·
Funny. That's almost exactly when I bought my Dell, a Dimension 510 as the basis for a recording system. Aside from some interferance issues when I tried to install a faulty copy of my company's remote access software, I've had no major issues in about two years. Knock on wood, but I've had no major slowdowns or weird-ass issues, and I've only run a drive defrag once in this time.

As long as you stay on top of your virus software, things generally run pretty smoothly, and if you don't then I can hardly fault the manufacturer...

#58 ·
*sigh* I HATE how everyone is treating me like some dumbass, yes, I do know what I'm doing. NO, I did NOT install WeatherBug, I'm smarter than that. In fact, I actually did wipe the drive clean as soon as I got the computer, and reinstalled WIndows AND the drivers. And, if it's a brand-new computer, why would I want to use a hard drive tool to do a 35-pass zero over the hard drive?! Nothing confidential, I shouldn't have to do that with a new machine. As for the OS, I have stated NUMEROUS times that I don't mind Windows or Linux (I'm running Ubuntu right now on an old PC, it's amazingly efficient. God I love Unix).

AOL?! AOL???? I stopped using AOL about ten years ago, when I found it to be much slower, bulkier, and buggier than other services. And please, PLEASE stop inferring that all Mac users are dumb. I'm not, I can guarantee you that; I was offered a job by Apple about five months ago (turned it down due to being too young to work for them). And, your chances of getting the Mac Genius job (the one I applied for) is smaller than your chances of getting into Harvard (1:10 for Harvard, 1:20 for Mac Genius) (and on a side note, I'm leaving for Stanford tomorrow, I got accepted into their Summer Program one year before standard acception; now let's see you call me dumb). I even crack open PCs regularly.

Oh, and to humor you, NO startup apps, JUST the game. Made sure all unnecessary processes were terminated in the ctrl+alt+delete function.

@tobe: LOL, that's too funny. Personally, I agree with your viewpoint, I just dislike Dell as a company because they sell inferior hardware at heavily marked down prices. I have no problem with Lenovo/IBM, Sony (VAIO), HP, even Windows itself (excluding Vista, that's another story and XP is much mroe stable), or others, my beef (and I'm Hindu) is with Dell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.