Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Why I hate Dell

6K views 63 replies 23 participants last post by  screamndemon69 
#1 ·
There's a story for why I strongly dislike Dell, and this is going to turn into a flame war, but I guarantee you will not be able to beat me. Know beforehand that I have had AMPLE experience with both PCs and Macs, and have chosen Apple for personal use for a reason.

So, in January 2005, I bought a Dell XPS, as I was a heavy gamer at the time (Rome: Total War and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion). Set it to 1GB of RAM for some extra power, and upgraded the video card. Decent specs, 2 GHz Intel processor and 80 GB Hard drive.

The day I recieved it (XPS M140), everything was working fine (XP Media Center). Then, within one week, my games started lagging. This is, remember, a gaming machine that more than surpasses the required specs of my games. It got so bad that I started running into 3 frames per second. Then, all of a sudden, MS Word wouldn't open. Then Firefox started acting funny, and would only boot in Safe Mode. Tech support was hell, I probably spent about two-thirds of my free time with them, trying to fix everything. Mind you, I do regular virus scans on my Windows PCs, Norton was very good at that time. I also had Ad-Aware and Spybot, not to mention Windows Defender. Finally, I had it with them. I sent my machine back after about two weeks with it, and got a full refund. I bought an Apple iMac with that money, and have not had a SINGLE problem for a year and a half, both in Mac OS and in Windows. Running Windows on the hardware is efficient, and using Boot Camp (free btw, not $79 like Parallels, though Parallels is good too) lets me game occasionally, though now I don't have as much time and removed the partition.

And to disprove the "lemon" computer skeptics, my sister had the EXACT same machine, she started having problems one year later (about six months ago). Tech support there was even worse. I had at least four two-hour chats with them, and got nowhere. They finally sent a repair box to send it back to them so a certified Dell tech could repair it. (Mind you, I had already diagnosed the problem: the Motherboard had issues, but I didn't want to crack open the laptop and void the warranty that allowed Dell to fix it). We sent it in, and had DHL records that the computer had been successfully sent. MORE hell with Dell tech support, and eventually, Dell admitted they had lost the laptop one month later. They finally sent us a new one (XPS M1410), which although is small, is now starting to have problems (the computer ALWAYS disconnects from our wireless network constantly). Once again, not a SINGLE problem with the iMac. It's running faster than the other two computers combined, and the specs are lower (less RAM, same Video Cad, only thing that's faster is the processor, 1.83 GHz Core Duo).

So THAT'S why I dislike Dell. I have no problem with Windows, I personally just find it's less efficient than *UNIX operating systems, including Linux and OS X.

As for those of you who are saying that Apple doesn't have malware due to it's small user base, it's NOT because of the 4.5% of Apple users out there. It actually has to do with the platform. OS X (Apple's OS) doesn't use the .exe files to run commands and such, but rather uses .dmg files, which opens a disk image and allows you to drag and drop the application into your application folder. If ANYTHING tries to install itself, you are given a message to type in your password, so you'll know if something funky's going on. The worst a virus can do on a Mac is take up space and transmit to other computers. Sure, viruses can affect Windows partitions through Boot Camp or Parallels, but they will not touch the OS X partition.

The Apple superiority complex comes with all Mac users. Deal with it, we all have it. You can mock it and make fun of it, but we'll be laughing when you all have viruses. It's true, we're egotistical, but that's Steven Jobs, let alone the Mac community, for you. ALL of my software runs efficiently and cleanly, and for every Windows application, there is a similar or better application for OS X, save gaming.

See less See more
#2 ·
never had a virus to contend with and i currently have remote access to about 2 dozen PCs. hmmmm...

mac zombie logic...

why i hate dell
I sent my machine back after about two weeks with it, and got a full refund.
most people might reserve "hate" or strong dislike for a company that didn't comply with the refund.

The Apple superiority complex comes with all Mac users. Deal with it, we all have it. You can mock it and make fun of it, but we'll be laughing when you all have viruses. It's true, we're egotistical,
su·pe·ri·or·i·ty complex (sū-pēr'ē-ôr'ĭ-tē)
n.
1. An exaggerated feeling of being superior to others.
2. A psychological defense mechanism in which a person's feelings of superiority counter or conceal his or her feelings of inferiority.

fwiw i actually like apple as a business entity... it's the clueless but vocal zombies who are the culprit ... glen

#6 ·
Empty barrels make the most noise :lol:

Why anyone would go dell over HP is absolutely beyond me. I do have to admit to a rather large bias here ;)

One of my brothers recently quit his job as one of the Mac Geniuses at the big Apple store in Manhattan specifically because he could not stand having to deal with Mac users/customers all day long. :lol: He's a very bright guy, knows PCs and Macs and how computers run and how OSes work, and he just expected more of Mac customers. He's been a Mac user since about '88 (I'm sure the Plus and SE30 are still around somewhere), and we both had lots of fun with out NeXTcubes back in the day as well. So, the idea that Mac users all think they are superior I can totally agree with; that that feeling is justified often isn't so :D

#7 ·
:lol: so true...

however in regard to dell over hp Jim, i can think of many reasons for home & small biz use... can't think of a corrolory (sorry).

* configurable, customizable & better price (same box)
* coupons and online deals (that dell encourages)
* often cheaper warranty (long & short)
* parts are parts are parts (only mac zombies care about "names") and HP brand name hasn't mattered since the HP laserprinter era.
* dell refurb area - mind-boggling deals w/ full warranty & extendable
* HP also screwed the pooch in desktops with those proprietary trays and drives and such aimed at aol-newbies. dumb stuff.

i just bought a dell 1410 notebook refurb: core-duo 1.86Ghz, 1gb, 120G HDD, vista home premium (not basic as often featured), 14.1 wxga+ (900x1400) true-life (suck on that 13" macbook users), bluetooth & wifi integrated... $569. now if you can match that i can return within 30 days i think :)

does HP even sell small form wxga+ notebooks? ...glen

#8 ·

I abolsutely refuse to buy a computer from anyone. I've bought two, both HPs and have nothing but trouble out of them. The first I threw out the window on the second floor.

When I began having trouble with it I called up HP support. It was just about a week after the 2 month mark. They said that they could help me but unfortunately my warranty had ran out and I'd be charged $25/hour, $25 minimum, for them to help me. It wasn't long after that that I tested if it could fly.

The one I use now I built myself with parts bought off the net. Aside from a hard drive failure last year I have never had a problem with it in it's 5 years of life. It's a dual PIII 1GHz with 2GB or RAM. It's time for a new one, but I won't be buying one from anywhere. I'll be building it.

Bottom line - computer tech support sucks!

#60 · (Edited)

The first I threw out the window on the second floor.
WHOA - really??? :lol: Hell hath no fury :razz:

Um....you did think to look out the window first and make sure no one was beneath you.....right???? :rolleyes:

These threads crack me up!! Contrary to what COB said in the initial post, there will be no victor and Glen will inevitably close the thread! And with the way certain people (not mentioning any names) are getting all butthurt already I'm thinking it'll be sooner than later ;-)

It's the exact same thing as.....well......how bout a couple examples:

Who's better: Jp or Vai or Yng,

or,

What's a better guitar: Fender, gibby or Ibanez:lol:

I aint touchin this one with a ten foot pole because I have NO doubt that I am the most computer illiterate person on this forum and every other. (yes even dumber that you, Bones ;-) ) Oh computer illiterate is a "proper" term.....right???

I will say that I now have the Dell XPS 410. It took me a few to get used to the Vista, but now I really like it a lot. I had a problem with it in the very beginning (first two days), but I'm sure that was just operator error on my part. I did call the Dell help desk and they were very helpfull! If the first tech to the phone couldn't answer your questions, they would get you to someone who can, straightaway! And they were even polite with my obvious complete "dultness" on the issue. (of course I couldn't see their hand gesters)

Since then not a problem whatsoever, and that's saying a lot for me because -

Myself + compter = problem waiting to happen. :lol:

Lastly I say (and who cares:lol:) but forget the video games and pick up yer guitars;) At least in the long run (hopefully) you be getting something more out of it than saying: "Cool...dude.....I beat the game...but oh yeah...bummer...now I gotta buy a new one. A video game cannot change your life.....a guitar CAN~!

#10 · (Edited)
jim, i hear you about bulletproof (the xpp p4m/2.0ghz thinkpad i type on is a great example) but here is another recent dell deal...

dell c521 brand new 1 yr warranty
x2 dualcore 2.0ghz
1gb
xph
22" lcd E228WFP ($350 on their site)
sata everything
ati x1300 pce ($40 addon)

$569 total

you can't build that yourself, nevemind when you do the mobo/bios will require constant jerking around w/ boot and other issues... glen

#11 ·
The last PC I actually had to pay for was a Dell ;) HP could do a lot more to be competitive on the home front, but they don't seem to bothered. It's the business model I suppose; there is far more money to be made in managed services where they are #2 in the world, then there is in the margin conscious PC market.
But if you have a link on that deal :lol: .....

#13 ·
When you convert that to stirling the numbers are rediculously small... its a pity you cant get those sort of prices over here ;)

the actual computing I do is pretty demanding... so the cheaper the parts the better as far as Im concerned... if I had to build my 24 CPU cluster from Macs then it would have cost me £60,000 rather than £6,000 to get the same number of FlOps...

I may be wrong but there are no macs in the top 500 supercomputers... surely that should tell you something... if there were no Irish people in the top 500 tennis players in the world then I would be a little off the mark to go claiming that the Irish were the best tennis players in the world..

#16 ·
I may be wrong but there are no macs in the top 500 supercomputers... surely that should tell you something... if there were no Irish people in the top 500 tennis players in the world then I would be a little off the mark to go claiming that the Irish were the best tennis players in the world..
That may be the case nowadays, I dunno (and don't care), but when Apple first introduced the X-Serve and some pretty nifty networking software there were quite a few very large arrays running doing science stuff. I (as an avowed Mac user) believe that the price gap between Macs and configure yourself PC boxes has probably put an end to this - there's just no getting around the fact that if you want to configure and build a box yourself, it'll be miles cheaper than a Mac, and that's absolutely fine by me, I'll still stick with the Mac because I just don't have that kind of patience!

#17 ·
I've built PCs too, it is more cost-efficient, and they last longer. Plus, if something goes wrong, it's easier to focus on what exactly went wrong and replace the defective part. And, the reason I use "hate" is because the machine had so many problems.

BTW, when I sent it back to them, Dell gave me a call, "We received your machine, but everything seems to be fairly normal, so we're not sure what exactly you want us to do with the machine."

#18 · (Edited)
built PCs is not more efficient, nor do they last longer (generally speaking), nor do they have a warranty.

we have enough mac BS we dont' need DIY PC BS also. anytime you build you own you waste alot of time and most often dollars.

here is the dell i spoke of, shipping 7/3. NO WAY CAN YOU BUILD ANYTHING CLOSE FOR THE $ even if i spot you a pirated/illegal copy of Windows.

Dimension C521,Athlon 64 X2 4000+ (2.1GHz, 512Kx2) $569.00
1 311-6630 GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz $0.00
1 310-8025 Dell USB Keyboard $0.00
1 320-5209 22 in (22 in viewable) E228WFPWide Aspect Digital Flat Panel $0.00
1 320-5104 128MB ATI Radeon X1300 $0.00
1 341-4063 160GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM) $0.00
1 313-4717 No Floppy Drive Requested $0.00
1 420-4834 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition,Service Pack 2,English $0.00
1 420-4927 Windows Media Player 10 $0.00
1 420-5769 Internet Search and Portal $0.00
1 412-0688 Image Restore $0.00
1 412-0911 Dell Support $0.00
1 463-2282 Dell Owners Manual installed on your system,click on icon after system set-up to access $0.00
1 310-8553 Backup media for XP Home Dimension C521 $0.00
1 310-8617 Thank you for choosing Dell $0.00
1 310-7965 Dell USB 2-button mouse $0.00
1 430-0441 Integrated 10/100 Ethernet $0.00
1 313-3137 No modem requested for Dell Dimension $0.00
1 412-0914 Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 $0.00
1 313-4656 16X DVD-Rom Drive $0.00
1 420-6399 Sonic Cineplayer $0.00
1 313-2758 Integrated Audio $0.00
1 313-2198 No Speaker Requested $0.00
1 412-0903 Norton Internet Security 2006 90 Day Trial,OEM $0.00
1 461-8388 No Digital Music Software requested $0.00
1 461-3064 No Digital Imaging Software requested $0.00
1 412-0148 No Internet Service Provider Requested $0.00
1 412-0912 MS WORKS 8.5 $0.00
1 985-1238 Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Initial Year $0.00
1 980-3230 Type 3 Contract - Next Business Day Parts and Labor On-Site Response, Initial Year $0.00
1 950-9797 No Warranty, Year 2 and 3 $0.00
1 412-0359 Soft Contracts - Qualxserve $0.00
1 960-2800 Warranty Support,Initial Year $0.00
1 986-4217 Thank you for choosing a Limited Warranty and Service Contract $0.00
1 466-5535 Thank you for choosing Dell $0.00
1 462-4506 Purchase is NOT intended for resell $0.00
1 310-8591 You have chosen a Windows XP System $0.00

View My Orders

Sub-Total : $569.00

#32 · (Edited)
I'm assuming that X24000+ is socket AM2? Makes a big difference.

Sure, you might be able to build a cheap system like that for less than you can build, but once you start getting into high-end components, the gap closes, and often you can build a better system for far less. Those XPS systems are complete ripoffs.

For the record, it took me three hours to build mine, and I saved almost $700 compared to an equal system built by Dell. I don't know about you, but I'd rather save $700 and build one myself.

Plus, learning how to build a computer is not difficult. By the time you learn how to build one, your knowledge will surpass 99% of the people operating tech support, completely negating their usefulness. As far as warranties go when you build a PC, each company of each part you buy provides a separate warranty. In this case, it's actually, better, as you don't have to go through Dell to replace a part, etc. The system I built hasn't had one problem with it yet (no BSOD's, no lockups, no crashes). Dell builds thousands of computers a day. Do you honestly think that some guy in China getting payed next to nothing to slap a few parts together is really going to care whether or not he's constructing a computer with the utmost care? That is one reason why many of these systems have problems out of the box.

There are several problems presented when buying a Dell system. Most of the components put in these Dells systems are proprietary, meaning that upgradeability is often very limited. For example, try placing a Dell motherboard into a regular ATX case or vice versa. Good luck. Most of the BIOSs on these Dell motherboards are locked as well...

I admit, if you must spend less than $700 on a PC, having Dell build one is probably the best way to go. Anything above that however, one should probably build it themselves.

#21 ·
There's a story for why I strongly dislike Dell, and this is going to turn into a flame war, but I guarantee you will not be able to beat me. Know beforehand that I have had AMPLE experience with both PCs and Macs, and have chosen Apple for personal use for a reason.

So, in January 2005, I bought a Dell XPS, as I was a heavy gamer at the time (Rome: Total War and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion). Set it to 1GB of RAM for some extra power, and upgraded the video card. Decent specs, 2 GHz Intel processor and 80 GB Hard drive.

The day I recieved it (XPS M140), everything was working fine (XP Media Center). Then, within one week, my games started lagging. This is, remember, a gaming machine that more than surpasses the required specs of my games. It got so bad that I started running into 3 frames per second. Then, all of a sudden, MS Word wouldn't open. Then Firefox started acting funny, and would only boot in Safe Mode. Tech support was hell, I probably spent about two-thirds of my free time with them, trying to fix everything. Mind you, I do regular virus scans on my Windows PCs, Norton was very good at that time. I also had Ad-Aware and Spybot, not to mention Windows Defender. Finally, I had it with them. I sent my machine back after about two weeks with it, and got a full refund. I bought an Apple iMac with that money, and have not had a SINGLE problem for a year and a half, both in Mac OS and in Windows. Running Windows on the hardware is efficient, and using Boot Camp (free btw, not $79 like Parallels, though Parallels is good too) lets me game occasionally, though now I don't have as much time and removed the partition.

And to disprove the "lemon" computer skeptics, my sister had the EXACT same machine, she started having problems one year later (about six months ago). Tech support there was even worse. I had at least four two-hour chats with them, and got nowhere. They finally sent a repair box to send it back to them so a certified Dell tech could repair it. (Mind you, I had already diagnosed the problem: the Motherboard had issues, but I didn't want to crack open the laptop and void the warranty that allowed Dell to fix it). We sent it in, and had DHL records that the computer had been successfully sent. MORE hell with Dell tech support, and eventually, Dell admitted they had lost the laptop one month later. They finally sent us a new one (XPS M1410), which although is small, is now starting to have problems (the computer ALWAYS disconnects from our wireless network constantly). Once again, not a SINGLE problem with the iMac. It's running faster than the other two computers combined, and the specs are lower (less RAM, same Video Cad, only thing that's faster is the processor, 1.83 GHz Core Duo).

So THAT'S why I dislike Dell. I have no problem with Windows, I personally just find it's less efficient than *UNIX operating systems, including Linux and OS X.

As for those of you who are saying that Apple doesn't have malware due to it's small user base, it's NOT because of the 4.5% of Apple users out there. It actually has to do with the platform. OS X (Apple's OS) doesn't use the .exe files to run commands and such, but rather uses .dmg files, which opens a disk image and allows you to drag and drop the application into your application folder. If ANYTHING tries to install itself, you are given a message to type in your password, so you'll know if something funky's going on. The worst a virus can do on a Mac is take up space and transmit to other computers. Sure, viruses can affect Windows partitions through Boot Camp or Parallels, but they will not touch the OS X partition.

The Apple superiority complex comes with all Mac users. Deal with it, we all have it. You can mock it and make fun of it, but we'll be laughing when you all have viruses. It's true, we're egotistical, but that's Steven Jobs, let alone the Mac community, for you. ALL of my software runs efficiently and cleanly, and for every Windows application, there is a similar or better application for OS X, save gaming.
I can tell you what the biggest problem was with that machine. Windows Media Center. I've had an Inspiron 9300 for a couple of years with basically the same specs as your old xps and I've never had a problem with it, and yes, I'm a computer professional like you as well. So, I really don't see how you can go on and bash a brand of computers because they were flaking out on you and your sister (and please don't take that as an insult because I'm not trying to insult anyone in here). I think that if you were to run the same machine with a clean install of xp pro with no dell Junk, things would be different. The disconnect problem your sister is having with the laptop is probably some config setting within the intel client if you're using it for wireless. If she's using windows, I suggest she switches to the intel client to manage the wireless signal. Also, check how many AP's there are around her. If someone is running their AP on the same channel, that can cause conflicts. I was having the same issue for a while and then switched channels on my router and the problem was gone. Also, set the MTU to manual and set it at 1492.

As far as Macs go, I like them. In fact, the next computer I buy is going to be a mac mini, so I can connect it to my Sony KDSR60XBR1. Hardware wise, I think they're years beyond the pc for the sole reason that the hardware is proprietary, so everything will run they way is supposed to.

Jimmy:smile:

#23 ·

That might be the case now, but that wasn't the case 5 years ago when I built mine. Still, for those of us that build our own, we've already got the monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer, scanner, additional hardware. The only thing I need is a case, MB, CPUs, RAM and an OS.

A year ago I was looking at getting a MB with 2 CPU slots for AMD Opterons. I was going to get dual core Opterons with 4GB of RAM. It was going to cost about $2500 or so, but it would be good enough spec-wise to last for several years.

#24 ·
the whole thing about virus is funny:) proper virus doesnt need to install on a computer as an application, they can attach to exsiting executables or copy files and load on boot:)

Anyway, DELL doesnt make the best notebooks in the world but they sell very good price for the spec. Dell becomes No. 1 PC maker in world for reasons. Sure, there are many QC issues with Dell, just like other major vendors but if you maintain your computer well, they are just fine. I have been using Dell laptops (differnt models) for like 7 years, they all are good in their 2 years life time. I used Sony, HP, Fujitsu and IBM as well.

#25 ·
Two points I forgot to state is that (on a personal level, and this is not a norm by any means), you're more prone to catch something while gaming online, that's just a fact because you never know what anyone has on their computer. The second point is that (again this is a personal belief not the norm), whether or not you have a powerful laptop, you really don't want to use it to play games on it because a box is the better choice when playing games.

#28 ·
I'm glad to read people standing standing up for the Dell systems. I am a computer dolt as far as things go and did alot of reading before deciding to go with a Dell. I recently bought an Inspirion 1501 w/ an AMD Turion 64 x2 processor, a 15.4 monitor, 1gig of memory and the best CD/DVD burner Dell offered. I didn't know about the refurbs so I paid full boat on mine but this system (running Vista Premium) does way more than I know how to use. I'm not a gamer (only on my Xbox) and don't visit any websites or places on this computer that could compromise my system and other than figuring out how to reset the factory setting for more efficient operation and learning how to make my wireless secure (thanks Glen and others for that!) I have been running smoothly and quickly thru anything I do.

My GF has been having issues running this home decorationg software and I don't know what to do to fix that but it might be a compatibility issue with Vista and not a Dell issue.

I would have bought a Mac if I had the $ for it since everywhere I have read that it is the better system for music and video/graphics, but for now this system serves my meager puposes (being online, business applications, some recording applications and picture editing).

#30 ·
I am a "know nothing" when it comes to computers so I have to depend on friends and what I read for info. That is just all I have ever read and I don't know any better.

#35 ·
I don't think that the discussion here is whether or not a home built machine is less expensive than a brand name one. While it is very true that you save money, and all these other things, most people don't have the time or energy to go out, research and buy parts so they can go home and build their own pc.

Personally, I have the knowledge and the means to build a machine but, I really haven't had a need simply because I have other things that I need to get done that are more important than spending time buying parts, going to the store, getting deals and having things shipped.

If I can spend 20 minutes configuring a machine that will do what I want and will have the specs I'm looking for, I'd rather get it done that way and get it delivered (yes, I'm spoiled but, then again, isn't that the norm?).

#36 · (Edited)
If you don't know what parts to buy, there are several guides on the internet (sharkyextreme for one). That's not an issue.

Otherwise, that's just being lazy. :p

Normally, you don't buy parts from a local store. I usually buy all my parts in one order from a place such as Newegg or Zipzoomfly. That's not an issue. Heck, if you don't want to build it, take it to a local shop to build. The shop around here charges $45 for a full build + OS install. You're still in good shape at that point.

#39 ·
I posted the links so people would read them... They contain quite a substantial amount of information thats not worth my time re-typing since its already publically available and presented in a clear and precise way.

"If you so insist on siding with FLOPS be my guest. I don't see how FLOPS ratings of matrix operations (or any computing algorithm for that matter) for different architectures has anything to do with that. If you'd like to explain please do."

That question doesnt make sense so there is no response to that... However, you did say FLOPS are the "simple most stupid measurement"... Computing performance needs to be measured somehow and is dependant of a huge number of things... both hardware and software.. Like most things the most "simple" measurement is the best. FLOPS is about as good as you can get for comparing computer performance, its significantly more informative than clock speed of individual CPUS and tells you at least in part something about how efficient operations are being processed and the total compute capacity.

Then you said "Supercomputers are built unlike EITHER of them." Which is just wrong.. it just so happens that a large proportion of current supercomputers are clusters of bog-standard desktop PCs connected together over gigabit ethernet or infiniband networks. So its the same off the shelf non specialist hardware your probably reading this reply on. Hence you can and do use Dells, HPs, MACs what ever you feell like.

All this information is available in the links I posted.... and we could have saved each other time (and everyone else who will read this) if you had just read them.

(Very soon to be Dr.) Devo

#42 ·
That question doesnt make sense so there is no response to that... However, you did say FLOPS are the "simple most stupid measurement"... Computing performance needs to be measured somehow and is dependant of a huge number of things... both hardware and software.. Like most things the most "simple" measurement is the best. FLOPS is about as good as you can get for comparing computer performance, its significantly more informative than clock speed of individual CPUS and tells you at least in part something about how efficient operations are being processed and the total compute capacity.

Then you said "Supercomputers are built unlike EITHER of them." Which is just wrong.. it just so happens that a large proportion of current supercomputers are clusters of bog-standard desktop PCs connected together over gigabit ethernet or infiniband networks. So its the same off the shelf non specialist hardware your probably reading this reply on. Hence you can and do use Dells, HPs, MACs what ever you feell like.

All this information is available in the links I posted.... and we could have saved each other time (and everyone else who will read this) if you had just read them.

(Very soon to be Dr.) Devo
A simple measurement that is far more accurate is simply time. Have you never heard of the term speedup in computer architecture? Obviously not.

How do you suppose you can compare the performance of two architecture schemes accurately using FLOPS? If it takes the same amount of time for two systems to complete an algorithm, and computer A takes 10 instructions, B takes 5 instructions, with your awesome FLOPS rating computer A is twice as fast as B, which is obviously bull****. If you read any decent architecture research papers, they would use speedup over FLOPS ANY DAY.

Do you program your home PC the same way you would a cluster? No! The similarity of your home PC and cluster computers stop at the individual PCs. After that it's single/multi core vs. single/multi cores connected via ethernet. The whole architecture scheme changes once you hook them all up because you have to program your applications in message passing mode to fully use the cluster. Besides, most super computers such as the Bluegene aren't your general PCs hooked up together via ethernet. They are specially designed multicore architectures that are NOT SEEN IN YOUR HOME PC. In fact, none of the Bluegene series of supercomputers are general PCs networked together.

My whole point wasn't even that. It was that your Intel mac, PC desktop run on the same damn consumer market Intel CPUs. There's nothing different between them once you're past the OSX/Windows compilers. Hardware wise they are basically the same thing running with the same Intel CPUs using the same ISA. So it doesn't make sense to have you babble **** about how there are no "mac" clusters. Because it'd be the same **** as PC clusters. The only difference would be that the mac cluster would look more physically appealing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.