Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Wiring 2x12 for Stereo...need some EE help

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Gresh 
#1 ·
I have a mesa recto 2x12 with vintage 30's.  I don't know if mesa wired these series or parallel, my cab is 8 ohms as it stands.  Back long ago, I knew about all this circuit theory stuff in my EE classes, but no more.

If I wire this stereo, running two jacks, one per speaker, this will obviously alter the impedence...but will it be cut in half or doubled.  The obvious answer is to open the back of the cab and see what the speakers are rated for, but I am at work now and just want to know what to expect.  Anybody??

#2 ·
Never mind, Mesa called me back, their 2x12s are 16 ohm celestions wired in parallel.  Breaking that for stereo means two 16 ohm loads run out of 8 ohm speaker outs, which is safe, but less efficient causing the amp to work harder to drive the speakers...which is usually a good thing.  They mentioned that I could possibly also see a reduction in the highs, but maybe not.  We'll see...

If anyone has done this mod, let me know what you think about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.