Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  waylay00 
#1 ·
Ok here's the circumstances...

You have all the money in the world and the best amp makers in the world. You can have them build up to 2 cabs loaded with any type/size speakers. You can only have one head and get to decide on every spec. It can include onboard tremolo or reverb, as many channels as you want, and any type of tubes and so on...What would it be for you?

The reason i ask this is because i just got a custom amp built by Mr. Ed Quidley (local amp tech) that i absolutely love! Pics soon...

#2 ·
A 30 watt 1x12 all tube combo, so it's ideal for home use as well as jammin/giggin. EL84's, 2 channel with a contour button, wait a minute I'm just describing my Mesa F-30, OPPS!

On a more serious note, I would just get a small tube combo cuz they can still dish out a lot of noise but can still be used for the home! I'm not a expert on tubes etc...yet so can't comment.

#3 ·
Well, I'm more of a fan of 6L6 tubes, and small combos that pack a punch, or low watt power amps. I don't know what low watt is relatively speaking, because I've got a simul-class 2:90, and although it's only 90 watts stereo, it sounds absolutely killer and is loud as hell and has blown the doors off of some 300 watt amps I've owned.

I've got a Koch Twintone that is only 50 watts, and it's got probably one of the best clean channels I've ever heard, period, is loud as hell, complicated to dial in, but a lot of fun to play with.

I'm all over the board, because I like solid state, I like tube, I like modeling amps; as long as it sounds good to my ears, I can get down with it.

Sound is so subjective, because my ears are changing every day!

#7 ·
Just a 1x12 small tube combo, again.
30 watts or under, that has a good high-gain sound. Perfect for metal. But can also be dialed-down for more Bluesy stuff if needed. Thats all I'd want really. A nice Mesa or Laney would suit. What I would like isnt that expensive tbh, I've just never got round to getting my ideal amp yet.

Something like a Mesa F-30, with my Maxon OD-9 in front of it, would be perfect for me. Could handle many different situations. Although, I do like the looks of the Boss GT-8 for ultra variety.

#10 ·
Something like a Mesa F-30, with my Maxon OD-9 in front of it, would be perfect for me. Could handle many different situations. Although, I do like the looks of the Boss GT-8 for ultra variety.
Trust me, you don't need any OD/Distortion pedals infront of the F-30, once it starts being turned up, it has insane gain.

DON'T GET A GT-8 over a tube amp, BIG MISTAKE!!! Turn up a F-30 to about 3 even..then you'll know why!

#11 ·
Well, I'd have an amp that can give me Super Reverb cleans on one channel, Plexi crunch on the other, and Rectifier brutality on the other. Every channel would be switchable from 50w to 100w as well.

But that's in a perfect world...:)

I'm not a fan of small combos for gigging (unless you are playing more as background music at a bar, etc). They don't move as much air as they should. Most of the perceived "fullness" of someone's tone has a lot to do with how much air is being "pushed". This is in a live situation though. For recording, something like an F-30 would be fine.

#17 ·
Marshall LM6100. It's based on the blue Anniversary model (30th Anniversary I think) but it doesn't blow up nearly as much.

It has the ability to pull sounds based on all the classic amps Marshall made, 900, 800, 45. Great distortion, squeaky clean cleans... Beautiful.

Best of all it has 3 channels that have only up to 5 knobs each so simpletons like me can sound good easily.

#18 ·
For me,,,the Soldano SLO-100. Had mine for two years now, and I'm still just as giddy about it. Searched for my tone for like 10 years,,,and thousands of dollars on many Marshalls, Peaveys, ADA's, etc. Everytime I plug in,,it just blows my mind. This is the overdrive I've dreamed of since I was a teenager,,,and to finally have one....PRICELESS. When I'm not playing it,,I often put it in the living room so I can at least look at it. My wife's not too crazy about the living room thing, but she usually lets me get away with it for a while. :) I just got my JEM7vwh last July, so that guitar through my SLO has been my favorite setup lately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.