<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Recording Studio

Recording Studio To discuss recording gear, home studios, home studio PCs, studio techniques and the likes.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:36 AM

Question

Amp Stand Benefits

Hello, this may be a silly question, but what are the benefits of setting your amp up on an amp stand? I have always just set mine on the floor, but I was talking to someone the other day who said that you get better sound when you have it on a stand.
Is this true?
Old 05-10-2008, 11:37 AM
(a)

Re: Amp Stand Benefits

Better projection. When I was playing out with my Princeton I always used one. I paid $20 from MF, well worth it.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:13 PM

Elcid was it the Musicians Gear one? I've had some really really bad experiences with their stuff...I had a guitar stand that actually broke on me randomly, I'm super glad I didnt have my guitar on it at the time...

That aside I need to get myself an amp stand.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:33 PM
(a)

Yeah I think that's the one it was. I didnt have any problems with it. I did buy one of their tweed cases though and I couldnt get rid of the glue smell. I tried Fabreze and leavingdryer sheets in the case, leaving it outside in the sun. Nothing would get rid of the smell.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:46 PM

i had an MF/MG stand where literally the part that holds the guitar up just BROKE, snapped clean off as i was moving it from my bedroom to the living room. I couldnt believe it.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:17 PM

The positive aspects are fairly self-explanatory. Better projection, vary the angle of tilt etc.

On the flip side, you can lose a lot of your low end compared to an amp directly on the stage.

Try it out, see if it suits your own setup.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:50 AM

I have my Carvin SX200 on an multipurpose amp stand that I built.
I'll post pics sometime, but I custom built it for the amp in question. While I was at it, I built in some pegboard and some miscellaneous features, and I'm in the process of designing a wiring harness for a light fixture and cooling fan enclosure for the whole shebang.

Anyway, aside from the obvious utilitarian advantages to my amp stand, I pretty carefully designed it to provide support and hold the amp at a specific angle for better projection (and it does project much better), and to minimize the amount of low-end loss inherent to some amp stands.

So, the point is that a good amp stand can/will help your amp project better, and if you custom build it (or have it built) to your needs, it can be a truly integral part of your rig.

Mine's not exactly "portable" at this point. After I cover the whole thing with Tolex, I'm thinking about adding some heavy duty casters and some "dolly" handles to the back of the thing so I can cart it around if necessary.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:02 AM

WOW!!! So I picked one up this weekend and I was blown away. I really never thought about having one. So I set it up as soon as I got home and without touching the volume or adjusting anything (other then setting it on the stand) I plugged in and played and could not believe the volume difference. Also the clarity is impressive.
I thought the amp was sounding a little muddy at lower volumes but putting it up on the stand made a world of difference. I was really blown away. I never thought that a stand would make a difference like it did.
Thanks everyone!!!!
Old 05-12-2008, 02:42 PM
(a)

Reviews: 18

FYI everyone, I believe the correct word would be "Imaging", as opposed to projection.

Sorry, I'm in a sarcastic mood.

Jimmy

Show/Hide Posting Rules