Amp Stand Benefits - Jemsite
Recording Studio To discuss recording gear, home studios, home studio PCs, studio techniques and the likes.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Question Amp Stand Benefits

Hello, this may be a silly question, but what are the benefits of setting your amp up on an amp stand? I have always just set mine on the floor, but I was talking to someone the other day who said that you get better sound when you have it on a stand.
Is this true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 11:37 AM

Re: Amp Stand Benefits

Better projection. When I was playing out with my Princeton I always used one. I paid $20 from MF, well worth it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 01:13 PM

Elcid was it the Musicians Gear one? I've had some really really bad experiences with their stuff...I had a guitar stand that actually broke on me randomly, I'm super glad I didnt have my guitar on it at the time...

That aside I need to get myself an amp stand.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 01:33 PM

Yeah I think that's the one it was. I didnt have any problems with it. I did buy one of their tweed cases though and I couldnt get rid of the glue smell. I tried Fabreze and leavingdryer sheets in the case, leaving it outside in the sun. Nothing would get rid of the smell.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 01:46 PM

i had an MF/MG stand where literally the part that holds the guitar up just BROKE, snapped clean off as i was moving it from my bedroom to the living room. I couldnt believe it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 02:17 PM

The positive aspects are fairly self-explanatory. Better projection, vary the angle of tilt etc.

On the flip side, you can lose a lot of your low end compared to an amp directly on the stage.

Try it out, see if it suits your own setup.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:50 AM

I have my Carvin SX200 on an multipurpose amp stand that I built.
I'll post pics sometime, but I custom built it for the amp in question. While I was at it, I built in some pegboard and some miscellaneous features, and I'm in the process of designing a wiring harness for a light fixture and cooling fan enclosure for the whole shebang.

Anyway, aside from the obvious utilitarian advantages to my amp stand, I pretty carefully designed it to provide support and hold the amp at a specific angle for better projection (and it does project much better), and to minimize the amount of low-end loss inherent to some amp stands.

So, the point is that a good amp stand can/will help your amp project better, and if you custom build it (or have it built) to your needs, it can be a truly integral part of your rig.

Mine's not exactly "portable" at this point. After I cover the whole thing with Tolex, I'm thinking about adding some heavy duty casters and some "dolly" handles to the back of the thing so I can cart it around if necessary.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

WOW!!! So I picked one up this weekend and I was blown away. I really never thought about having one. So I set it up as soon as I got home and without touching the volume or adjusting anything (other then setting it on the stand) I plugged in and played and could not believe the volume difference. Also the clarity is impressive.
I thought the amp was sounding a little muddy at lower volumes but putting it up on the stand made a world of difference. I was really blown away. I never thought that a stand would make a difference like it did.
Thanks everyone!!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 02:42 PM

Reviews: 18

FYI everyone, I believe the correct word would be "Imaging", as opposed to projection.

Sorry, I'm in a sarcastic mood.

Jimmy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode