Ibanez JEM Forum banner

anyone using MOTU

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  ns9 
#1 ·
Is there anybody here using MOTU units?
What kind? and what software do you use?
8)

#2 ·
Hi! MIDI? Audio? Mac? PC? OS? With what apps? There have been many reports of problems with MOTU audio devices under Windows. Personally, I have a MOTU 2408 mkII, and it always ran well. Once the former questions are answered, I can give a better answer, and possibly present a few alternatives. Nikki K :D

#4 ·
I was looking at the 828ii or was it 828iii system that just came out.
I would be running it on a P4, winXP, with DDR memory. I know theunit contains MIDI and a PCI424 card.

Do you know if you can record more than 1 track at a time with it using
just the one PCI card? (I currently use Cakewalk software)

Was also curious about the MOTU reputation?

Nice website ns9, cool indeed 8) .

#5 ·
The 828mkII just started shipping, but I've heard good things about it.

It is a Firewire unit, so it doesn't use a PCI424 card. It does have on board DSP for mixing, so maybe that is where you're confusing it with the PCI based units like the 2408, HD192, and the 24 i/o.

Hypothetically, you can record all 20 inputs at once with the 828mkII, but your system has to be able to handle it. Meaning, you have to have a fast enough hard drive. You should have a seperate 7200rpm HD just for audio.

MOTU has a great reputation especially for hardware. Many pro studios run motu gear.

#6 ·
Hi! Thx :D Site is work in progress, tryin to decide what to put on it and all.

MOTU has a great rep on Mac's, and rightfully so- their software line revolves around Digital Performer, Mac only.

Are you using Cakewalk or Sonor? There may be some better choices for an audio interface then, since you are using Win XP. For instance: Alot of people using Cubase or Nuendo on PC have found the RME line of cards to be better for them, simply because the ASIO drivers (gets the audio in and out) allow extremely low latency, as low as 1.5 milliseconds.

Another question is: Will you be looking for a portable solution? One you can use with say a laptop? Or will you simply want it for your own persnal, home use? Number of inputs and outputs you would like also will play a part. I'm sure there are forums where people using the same software you currently use hang out, and they would have idscussed "best hardware to use" a hundred times or so. How much you are looking to spend, does midi need to be part of the same unit, does it need to be portable? Also, beware that many PC's with "onboard" firewire are not 100% reliable when used with some of the available Firewire audio interfaces. Although a PCI Firewire card is easy to find and install, and is relatively cheap, it is somtething else to keep in mind.

Sounds daunting, but I have found that a good week's worth of research can save a month's worth of headaches :D I would do a search for forums specifically dealing with your software, and see what they are using. These days, most manufactures (in your case Cakewalk) have some sort of forums on or linked from their main site. Feel free to keep throwing out questions, if I can help, I will :D Nikki K :D

edit: just did a quickie search. Seems Cakewalk decided to go with a different route: They have a set of Newsgroups, set up like most forums.
http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/newsgroups.asp
They look decent, and looks like there are different groups for different software available from Cakewalk.

#8 ·
I'm looking to learn recording on the "cheap" and have been thinking about a 2408 or a 1224.

Does anyone know if Protools LE is compatible with the Motu stuff?
If not, any suggestions for software?

I'm mainly playing with various forms of guitar tracks trying to understand the technical side of the creative process. I'm also limited to about $500 budget at the moment, Don't laugh :oops:

I apologize if some consider this thread hijacking, my questions seem to fit the subject line.

Lee

#9 ·
Hi!

Terra - Pro Tools only works with their hardware.

What type of computer/os are you using?

You have a few choices if you are using PC: The Cakewalk line (Sonar, etc), the Steinberg line (Cubase SL/SX, etc), ProTools LE (Mbox, 001, etc). For your price range, a little planning/searching is needed.

One thing you might try is calling these guys: http://www.audiomidi.com/ . I have heard good things about them. Good prices, and they make bundles of software and hardware sometimes. If you get a suggestion from them, and would like a second (or thrid) opinion, post it here, or email. Better safe than sorry.

Check out the Cakewalk, Steinberg, and Digidesign sites. See if one of the apps they offer seems to jump out at ya. All 3 have forums, although Cakewalk's is newsgroup based, while the other 2 are web based. If you get hardware suggestions, hit the manufacturer's site before buying; most manufacturers have a forum that will give you an idea of how well their products work, known issues, etc.

Hope that helps a little... Nikki :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.