<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Recording Studio

Recording Studio To discuss recording gear, home studios, home studio PCs, studio techniques and the likes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 12-01-2012, 11:24 AM
11racksfx  is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 337  -  iTrader: (0)
Reviews: 6

Re: BBE's Magic Biggest Secret Finally Revealed......LOL


Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Before spreading bs through the net, FIRST you should learn how something works and what it does instead of listening to bs people say without knowing nothing about what he's saying.
BBE is not magic or crack, it's physics, probably your "fellow" never heard about physics, send him back to school.

Plus EVEN if BBE was crap still we all have different tastes and needs, what''s good to one is crap to the other, just because you and your "fellow" don't like it, it doesn't mean your tastes are a fact, they only mean both of you know nothing about what you're talking about.

I've been working with recording stuff for almost 20 years and no engineer said something so stupid about BBE, guessers who NEVER show their own recordings(probably because they're crap but still they pretend they're the best recording engineers ever) have no clue what they're talking about, that's why I always said:

People instead of listening to strangers(like me and his "fellow"), go to a store and get your own impressions, NOBODY can decide what's good or bad for you, only you can do that
Like I said, people that use the Sonic Maximizers is because people use them to make up for the fact that they used poor mic technique and dull sounding preamps. There would be no need to use an enhancer if you record properly.
quote
  #47  
Old 12-01-2012, 11:29 AM
6fingers  is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 4,982  -  iTrader: (0)
Reviews: 64

Re: BBE's Magic Biggest Secret Finally Revealed......LOL


Quote:
Originally Posted by 11racksfx View Post
Like I said, people that use the Sonic Maximizers is because people use them to make up for the fact that they used poor mic technique and dull sounding preamps. There would be no need to use an enhancer if you record properly.
Ok so you clearly don't know what BBE does.
What BBE fixes is not a bad recording problem, it's a physics problem.
No matter how good an egineer is and how good is his studio still BBE fixes physics problems and not engineer/gear problems.
People with crap recordings in their houses is another story cause no gear can fix it, once recorded like crap, it'll always sound like crap, engineers can only make it sound less crap but still............crap.

When I said BBE's Magic Biggest Secret Finally Revealed, it was clearly a joke about that tv show which a magician reveals magic secrets, it was a joke.
No gear/engineer makes magic and that was my point explaining what BBE does.People think BBE will solve their crap recording problems but it'll not, they will only fix a physics problem which has nothing to do with bad quality recordings, it's a problem in any recording no matter its quality.
quote
  #48  
Old 12-01-2012, 11:53 AM
11racksfx  is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 337  -  iTrader: (0)
Reviews: 6

Re: BBE's Magic Biggest Secret Finally Revealed......LOL


Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Ok so you clearly don't know what BBE does.
What BBE fixes is not a bad recording problem, it's a physics problem.
No matter how good an egineer is and how good is his studio still BBE fixes physics problems and not engineer/gear problems.
People with crap recordings in their houses is another story cause no gear can fix it, once recorded like crap, it'll always sound like crap, engineers can only make it sound less crap but still............crap.

When I said BBE's Magic Biggest Secret Finally Revealed, it was clearly a joke about that tv show which a magician reveals magic secrets, it was a joke.
No gear/engineer makes magic and that was my point explaining what BBE does.People think BBE will solve their crap recording problems but it'll not, they will only fix a physics problem which has nothing to do with bad quality recordings, it's a problem in any recording no matter its quality.
As an Engineer with a degree in EE, I can says by looking at the schematic, this is how BBE achieves what it does,


It looks like a 3 band splitter - multiband, this is achieved with what they call "pseudo state variable filter", phase shifting (band split) is present for each band.

The delay for the bands can be accomplished with a capacitor discharge, would be with separate buffer for this band, which stores the signal and plays it back with a delay.

There is a low-band amplification with a potentiometer which is not a low-shelf filter, this is just a band boost. Same goes for the 'process' knob, it boosts the top-band, for the top-band signal path we see voltage-controled-amp (VCA), which has its input voltage through a peak-detector. The peak-detector works with the non-filtered signal and increases/decreases the input voltage of the VCA. If the peaks in a signal are created by high frequencies, the summed voltage from the peak detector trough the VCA, should add more high frequency content and act like an exciter.

The input buffer, is just for impedance accomodation between the input (jack) and the next stages filter/pd, this is required in most cases.

The output buffer is a what its called a frequency dependent inverting operational amplifier. It doesn't amplifies frequencies above certain range (10khz for example). this can be used to compensate for the harmonic boost of the high end. after that i see a one pole high-pass filter (CR), which i think they use only to band-limit lower frequencies (for example below 10hz) - the capacitor C20 takes care of that.

This is really your basic Electrical Engineering 101.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbe2.jpg (50.9 KB, 0 views)
quote
  #49  
Old 12-01-2012, 11:55 AM
6fingers  is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 4,982  -  iTrader: (0)
Reviews: 64

Re: BBE's Magic Biggest Secret Finally Revealed......LOL


Ok, thanks for the info.
quote
  #50  
Old 12-01-2012, 06:27 PM
wilch  is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,407  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: BBE's Magic Biggest Secret Finally Revealed......LOL


Here's someone that's actually hooked a BBE Sonic Maximiser into a dual channel FFT analyzer, and video'd his findings. Pretty conclusive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LosL-gdHLpk

edit: Just saw lastsnare posted this earlier.
quote
  #51  
Old 12-01-2012, 06:49 PM
6fingers  is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 4,982  -  iTrader: (0)
Reviews: 64

Re: BBE's Magic Biggest Secret Finally Revealed......LOL


Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
Here's someone that's actually hooked a BBE Sonic Maximiser into a dual channel FFT analyzer, and video'd his findings. Pretty conclusive.
Pretty conclusive?
Because if it's in the net, it's a fact and it's the same to everybody.
People don't have analyzers in their ears, the majority can't even get a good guitar tone even with awesome gear.
It doesn't matter how it works, what matters is if it delivers what you need.
Again = People instead of believing in what strangers say(including myself), go to a store and try gear, you don't talk about audio, you try it, if it's good to your ears......it's good no matter whatever people say, if it's bad......it's bad

Last edited by 6fingers; 12-01-2012 at 07:26 PM.
quote
  #52  
Old 12-01-2012, 07:29 PM
wilch  is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,407  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: BBE's Magic Biggest Secret Finally Revealed......LOL


Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Pretty conclusive?
Because if it's in the net, it's a fact and it's the same to everybody.
People don't have analyzers in their ears, the majority can't even get a good guitar tone even with awesome gear.
It doesn't matter how it works, what matters is if it delivers what you need.
Again = People instead of believing in what strangers say(including myself), go to a store and try gear, you don't talk about audio, you try it, if it's good to your ears......it's good no matter whatever people say, if it's bad......it's bad

I personally own a BBE Sonic Maximiser 462NR and use it in the loop where I can switch it in or out when I see fit.

Anyone with common sense can tell that the video is conclusive in what BBE's actually and physically do, and I, as someone who has used one for the past 10 years or more can see merit in the test the guy has done in the video. It matters to me how it works. Unlike what's seeming to be the norm with many young people, people use to want to know how something worked, and what it actually did inside that big black box.
quote
  #53  
Old 12-01-2012, 07:32 PM
6fingers  is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 4,982  -  iTrader: (0)
Reviews: 64

Re: BBE's Magic Biggest Secret Finally Revealed......LOL


Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
Your rants are getting more and more ridiculous.

I personally own a BBE Sonic Maximiser 462NR and use it in the loop where I can switch it in or out when I see fit.

Anyone with common sense can tell that the video is conclusive in what BBE's actually and physically do, and I, as someone who has used one for the past 10 years or more can see merit in the test the guy has done in the video.
Rants?
Seems like exchanging opinions are rants to you.
So if I disagree to you, it's a rant?
Well not even Jesus(if he existed) could made everybody agree to him so you really need to learn to exchange ideas instead of calling them...rants.
Forums do exist for us to exchange opinions and experiences, if you think opinions which don't agree to yours are rants, well........ you have to learn to accept different opinions
I accept different opinions and that's why I always say = people try instead of listening to strangers.
Saturday night, it's time to work, later angry rant wilch

Last edited by 6fingers; 12-01-2012 at 07:37 PM.
quote
  #54  
Old 12-01-2012, 08:26 PM
tearsx  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Yellowknife
Posts: 392  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: BBE's Magic Biggest Secret Finally Revealed......LOL


Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Rants?
Seems like exchanging opinions are rants to you.
So if I disagree to you, it's a rant?
Well not even Jesus(if he existed) could made everybody agree to him so you really need to learn to exchange ideas instead of calling them...rants.
Forums do exist for us to exchange opinions and experiences, if you think opinions which don't agree to yours are rants, well........ you have to learn to accept different opinions
I accept different opinions and that's why I always say = people try instead of listening to strangers.
Saturday night, it's time to work, later angry rant wilch
So Mr. 6F, do you have one of these BBE units now? Can I borrow it?
quote
  #55  
Old 12-02-2012, 12:52 PM
11racksfx  is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 337  -  iTrader: (0)
Reviews: 6

Re: BBE's Magic Biggest Secret Finally Revealed......LOL


If it sound good to you, by all means use it.

And when you demo it in your signal chain, just do a Hard-Bypass.

For mixing, just learn how to use the parametric eq.
quote
  #56  
Old 01-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Furegious  is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Scotland
Posts: 37  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: BBE's Magic Biggest Secret Finally Revealed......LOL


I recently sold a BBE Sonic Stomp pedal that I was planning on using in my recordings. To my ears, especially for clean tones, BBE sounded great. That extra sparkle and clarity really helped note definition shine. I don't think it made a huge difference for heavy distorted material, as I wouldn't like extra fizz.

Watched videos, with sound demos, where people praise it and others say to avoid it, due to it messing with the mid frequencies which is important for the instrument to cut through in the mix. Personally, if it sounds good to you and sounds good when miked, then use it.

I'd have liked to keep it but wasn't using it enough. I've used the plugin before for final mastering, but it's kinda crazy if not used subtly.
quote
  #57  
Old 08-22-2014, 04:40 PM
PB&Jem  is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Denver,CO
Posts: 10  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: BBE's Magic Biggest Secret Finally Revealed......LOL


Has anyone identified the frequencies that the BEE SM touches on? i ask this because im curious to see if i can mimic its functions on a 10 band eq (MRX to be exact). Had one on my rig and it broke so i replaced it with a 10 band EQ and i got a similar effect but something is missing.
quote
  #58  
Old 08-22-2014, 04:46 PM
zappafile  is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: In a magical distant land. Or New Zealand to those who know
Posts: 16  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: BBE's Magic Biggest Secret Finally Revealed......LOL


It's not just EQ in those units. They use phase shift at each end of the spectrum and probably some harmonics added to "juice it up" in the lows as well. It's not something replicable with just EQ.
quote
Reply

Tags
6fingers, bbe, treva

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Show/Hide Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
THE SECRET REVEALED! Bahamut Multimedia: Music, Pictures & Sounds 11 07-29-2007 08:09 AM
Its no secret, JEM 20 revealed...... TongueShredder JEM and Universe Guitars 8 12-29-2006 11:21 AM
ATD Swirl Secret *REVEALED*!!! - Figrued Out Darren's Trick kennydoe JEM and Universe Guitars 18 04-01-2002 12:17 AM
I finally figured it out!!!! - not the caramilk secret...... littlegreenman JEM and Universe Guitars 6 11-03-2001 01:35 AM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) jemsite.com
Powered by