<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Recording Studio

Recording Studio To discuss recording gear, home studios, home studio PCs, studio techniques and the likes.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:15 PM

Reviews: 39

Best "grab and go" recording solutions?

So, Jemsiters, which small DAW is your choice for a desktop grab and go recording solution? Focusrite? Lexicon? M-Audio? I'm making a move up from this el-cheapo 16-bit unit I have to a much better 24/96khz one and i'd like one that's both stable and clean just for personal use (since we only use the 8-24 input stuff for our band's studio).

I can read all the reviews online all day, but hands on comments are always the best.

Thanks,
Jay
Old 01-19-2012, 02:04 PM

Re: Best "grab and go" recording solutions?

I am going to assume you don't really mean DAW (digital audio workstation) but are referring to just an AU? (audio interface?)

Need more info, what operating system and sequencer? How many channels do you plan on doing at once? Do you have external preamps? What sources are you planning on recording? What is your monitoring chain like? What connectivity do you require on the AU?

Lots of homework to do, I suggest you start here.http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm
Old 01-19-2012, 02:43 PM

I did mean interface, sorry. I'm using reaper right now with my (aging) Vista 32 powered AMD64x2 1.9ghz laptop. This is my year to buy/build a new PC so i'm going ahead an allotting for some new recording stuff. Right now i'm not running any external pre's and we don't have any for our band's studio (the guy who owns the other gear is stubborn about outboard pre's, he thinks the built in ones are fine for tone color.)

I don't really need more than 2 channels to record guitar, and I won't particularly need MIDI unless it just happens to come with it. Connectivity could be USB or firewire, since monitoring latency isn't the biggest concern in my environment, it's clarity and tone. Believe me, I've done plenty of homework, I'd just like some opinions here of people who've maybe owned some of the equipment and know its pros and cons.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:42 PM

Boss BR 800
Old 01-19-2012, 06:42 PM

Reviews: 130

BOSS Micro BR is hard to beat.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:23 PM

Apogee one is a great device.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verus View Post
Apogee one is a great device.
That works with macs, read before posting guys.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:03 PM

oops, missed the "desktop grab" part. I am sorry. There are ways to use an apogee with a pc though.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
Boss BR 800
My friend bought the Tascam DP-03 on a salesman's recommendation just to find out that it doesn't do all the things the Boss does (mainly a control interface). Seems pretty good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerevlon View Post
BOSS Micro BR is hard to beat.
16 bit I'm trying to get out of that. Another one of my friends had one when it first came out and it did sound good on headphones though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verus View Post
oops, missed the "desktop grab" part. I am sorry. There are ways to use an apogee with a pc though.
I looked at the Apogee and it looked rad, but I didn't know there was a PC way to use it.

I've been looking hard at the Focusrite Sapphire series. Any opinions on those?
Old 01-20-2012, 04:04 PM

I recently bought a M-Audio Fast Track C600 and don't do a lot of recording but it's really easy to use and works great and looks awesome, and comes with ProTools MP, and has a nice Control Panel interface. But I don't really know what I'm talking about..
Old 01-20-2012, 05:18 PM

There's been plenty of decent deals on the Focusrite interfaces at hellomusic, so that may be a way to get one at a discount price. I can't speak for them, as I have no experience with them.

Personally, I'd get an RME Babyface if you only need two channels of in/out. RME's drivers and TotalMix absolutely rule, though TotalMix is probably not as much of a draw with fewer inputs.

Also spend some time poking around gearslutz to see what others are having decent luck with.

All this said (and yes, I'm aware that it's not a cross-platform suggestion), if you've got access to an iPhone or iPad try playing with GarageBand. It's *seriously* fun to use and works a *ton* better than I thought it would for scratch tracks and song ideas.

I was impressed enough that I ditched my iRig (which was of limited usefulness) and went to an Apogee Jam.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:34 AM

I've never had any problems with the Tascam US-144 and recently upgraded to the Tascam US - 1800. Both extremely easy to use and come with Cubase which is also straight forwarded enough to use.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 AM

I like the Ultra Portable Recording Rig from KSG Ltd

84 IO in a briefcase. Small and portable. Really powerful! It is tiny but can do so much. Pro Tools 10, Logic Pro and Boom Recorder!

Nice
Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgltd View Post

84 IO in a briefcase. Small and portable. Really powerful! It is tiny but can do so much. Pro Tools 10, Logic Pro and Boom Recorder!

Nice
Pretty sure he figured it out in this past year.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgltd View Post

Nice
That is a cool rig. Great portable solution. Is there a showroom near Manchester?

Tags
daw, recording

Show/Hide Posting Rules