Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Cubase problems please help!

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Spagbol 
#1 ·
hi guys
i recently got cubase sx for my computer but im having some problems recording audio onto it. im running my studiomaster mixer into the audio line in on the computer and it is working as normal ( when i strum the guitar it instantly comes back through the speakers) however when i set i set cubase up there is a slight delay (1/4 of a second) between what i play on the guitar and what cubase plays back to me making it virtually impossible to do a good recording. can anyone please help!
thanks
john

#4 ·
I have Cubase 5.1 so this might not be applicable.
In the audio setup page ensure you are using the drivers with the lowest latency-usually ASIO, or maybe the DirectX duplex drivers.
With a MIDIMAN Audiophile 2496 with a P3 800MHz/386 Mb system, I have 9msec latency with the midiman driver. 9 msec seems okay for live recording. On my old Soundblaster Live! card I had 46msec with the DirectX driver, which was not fast enough for monitoring through cubase.

To get around the problem, turn off the option to monitor through Cubase, and you should get zero latency-but you won't be able to use the effects etc 'live'.

Guy

#6 ·
Open cubase and along the top of the screen you'll see options.

Go to Options/Audio setup/System

When you see the Audio system setup screen, select 'Global disable' in the monitoring box.
You should hear what you play in real time. The part you record may not play back in sync
and you may have to drag it with the mouse to get things to sound in time. It does depend
on the spec of the machine and the way it has been set up for audio.

If the delay is still a major problem, then you may need to invest in:

1. A good soundcard.

2. A separate and faster hard-drive for audio only.

I still believe (although some experienced PC users here disagree :wink: ) that the best system for
audio work is A PowerMAC G4.

Each to his own really.

#7 ·
As GuyCool said, check which drivers you're using - I achieve much much lower latency using ASIO DirectX drivers than ASIO Multimedia (which are the default) in Cubase SX. This seems to be especially true for MIDI stuff, but also affects audio.

You can check/change which drivers are used in Cubase SX through Devices/Device Setup and click on VST Multitrack/Setup tab.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.