<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Recording Studio

Recording Studio To discuss recording gear, home studios, home studio PCs, studio techniques and the likes.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:45 AM

How to open EZDrummer in Pro Tools

Anyone who can help me out this one: How to open and program drums in Pro Tools with EZDrummer??

This may be a newbie question. However, I'm pretty new regarding Pro Tools and home recording - just bought a Mbox
Old 01-22-2009, 11:18 AM

Re: How to open EZDrummer in Pro Tools

I'm afraid I dont know how to help you there...

but a while ago I found this nice piece of free software

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/savihost.htm

that lets you open EZdrummer without having to have your multitrack software open too. So you can listen to midi files and create loops without having to open cubase pro-tools etc.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:16 AM
(a)

Hope you've had a chance to get your plugin running, if not are you able to open EZ in another program, i.e. Cubase? The reason I'm asking is Cubase uses VST plugs and Protools prefers RTAS. EZ Drummer probably will give you the option on install, if not I'd check their website for an RTAS port.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:38 PM

I use this drumpackage in cakewalk , it should be the same asprotools.

At the menus at the top, there should be an option for INSERT VST / SYNTH , your EZdrummer will be in that liszt with your other VSTs
Old 01-24-2009, 06:44 PM

Reviews: 2

Pro Tools does not use VST plugs. It uses RTAS. Well LE does HD uses a slightly different version of RTAS. Damn Digidesign, if only it wasn't hands down better than every other option out there.

You should be able to go to your mix page, and select it as a plug. It most likely won't be under the "instruments" field because PT is weird, but it should be in there somewhere. It will load it as a rewire and the program will pop up as normal and you will use it as normal except that It will be sending everything to Pro Tools so you will have to listen to it through your Mbox out. I've used Reason, Guitar Rig and Fruity Loops (Ugh...) this way. I'm not actually familiar with EZdrummer but I'm going to assume it works like every other program out there.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:56 AM
(a)

i had to buy a VTS to RTAS plugin converter for PT for using my BBE processor plugin. you install this plugin, and then you have to import the software (EZ drummer) into this package plugin, as it acts as a bridge. then, you import via PT this plugin converter and it will see the RTAS. sounds confusing and it kind of is but it works....
Old 02-21-2009, 08:28 PM

With Pro Tools, create a stereo instrument track and choose ezdrummer as an insert. With the plugin open and GRID mode selected, audition the grooves in ezdrummer and drag the ones you want onto the instrument track in the edit window(using GRID mode makes the loops snap to the grid). I use it all the time.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:35 PM
(a)

is ez drummer free? i need to get it
Old 04-23-2009, 11:06 AM

Its not free but its a damn good value IMHO. Once you get it though, you may want to check out some of the expansion packs. The Nashville kit is a must have for me. Not because I live in Nashville, but because it just plain sounds better than the pop/rock standard kit. I also just installed Superior Drummer 2 and that is a great program as well, but is even better if you have ezdrummer installed. You can import sounds from the ezdrummer kits into SD. Funny how the Black Beauty snare of the Nashville kit sounds way different(better for me) than the same model drum in the Avatar kit(totally different tuning and damping). Check *bay as there are good deals to be had.

Last edited by albee1952; 04-23-2009 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-26-2009, 03:06 PM
(a)

i think i'm going to buy that this weekend. you say the nashville kits sound good but how are the patterns? i'm going to be working mainly with hard rock / metal so country riffs won't work.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:24 PM

The patterns will fit pop/rock fine, and you can edit them as with any midi piano roll. I got tired of auditioning the hundreds of loops and now just "play' what I want with an M-Audio Trigger Finger or sit down at my Roland TD10 kit. Try this with real cymbals and hi-hat with 3 mics and you may not care to see an acoustic kit again. BTW, I now have Superior Drummer running and like the toms better than the Nashville kit(but the Nashville Black Beauty snare is stellar....AND you can import it into an SD kit).
Old 07-08-2009, 09:44 AM
(a)

hey thanks for great info! sorry for the late post. i am sure that sounds awesome when combining parts of a real kit. unfortunately, i don't play, so my kit will just sit there in the studio. i need something to record with when no one is around and your info is very helpful!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:43 AM
(a)

Reviews: 18

EZ Drummer is a damn good program and the kits are really impressive to work with and they sound good. If you're going to make an investment, I would suggest you getting Superior Drummer, as it comes with 20GB worth of loops and includes everything EZ Drummer has and then some, since it's made by the same company.

Jimmy
Old 07-16-2009, 10:06 AM
(a)

thanks man, i will check that out. that's made by the same co. i take it? superior drummer? just a different "pack?"
Old 09-09-2009, 12:20 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
With Pro Tools, create a stereo instrument track and choose ezdrummer as an insert. With the plugin open and GRID mode selected, audition the grooves in ezdrummer and drag the ones you want onto the instrument track in the edit window(using GRID mode makes the loops snap to the grid). I use it all the time.
well i just got ez drummer....really cool. i am assuming you have to drag and drop multiple times if you want the same pattern to play? also, can you please let me know how to change the tempo of the ez drummer loops? i'm at a loss. there must be a way to do it.

thanks!
steve

Tags
drumkit from hell, ezdrummer, mbox, pro tools

Show/Hide Posting Rules