Ibanez JEM Forum banner

KILLER DRUM RECORDINGS

Tags
bass drum
2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  bduersch 
#1 ·
I've been trying some radical mic combinations and placements to achieve different kit sounds and I've come up with a 2 mic setup that really kicks *ss.
My kit is a 5 piece Premier Artist series in Birch with Zildgian cymbals. I've got a RE-20 on the kick. Kick has both heads and I'm placing the mics about 3 " left of center and about 5" back from the head. A C-1 diaphram (2")with pop screen horizontally 3 feet directly over the 2 rack toms. These are going back to the console in mono on seperate channels with 4:1 compression and no gate. After I print, I'm adding a chorus/ detune patch from the Lexicon for coloring and finally a slight hall reverb for ambience.
If you record real drums, try this. You won't believe how amazing the sound is for a 2-mic setup. I've been micing everything seperately for years, but read a recent article in Home Recording magazine and deceided to try it out.

#4 ·
No, he's using two... one 3" left of center and 5" inches back on the kick and the second is 3 feet directly over the two rack toms.

What's confusing is that he wrote "I'm placing the mics" when describing the location of one bass drum mic.

My question is... why put chorus on drums? Doesn't that make it sound incredibly cheesy?

#6 ·
Sorry guys, it really is a 2 mic setup: ONE on the bass- offcenter and back, and ONE over the toms. Sorta like John Bonham's kick mic placement. I'd love to post a sample, can't at this point but as soon as I can I will!
Slow Chorus on drums: try it. You will find a point where it warms them up noticably and fattens them up without mud. This works very well with a heavier type music - I'm currently into Devan Townsend's "Accelerated Evolution" style (sang with Vai). This stuff is so heavy it makes Korn sound like Raffi.

The room is 12X24 with 3 stone walls for diffusion and one 24' wall with auralex top to bottom. Kit sits at one end close to the stone for ambience. Ceiling is Armstrong high-absorb 2X4 black theatre tiles. I rounded the stone wall corners to help prevent standing waves. Pics to follow as soon as I get a new USB cable for the camera. (I just finished the control room 2 weeks ago)

#7 ·
A couple questions for ya...

1) Who produces the RE20 and C1 microphones?

2) You would happen to have a link to that article in home recording magazine, would ya?

I've been struggling to get a good drum sound in my basement with 7 mics. Sounds like you're getting good results (in a similar room) with a lot less effort. I'm anxious to give the simplified approach a try!

Thanks!

--B

#8 ·
C-1 is made by Studio Projects, RE-20 is Electro Voice.
I've got a pillow in the kick and a full head without holes on the front.
I'm going lo-Z into a Behringer X9000 console, looping through the outboard effects and back through the board into a dual 31 band as the end of the sound chain. I'm thinking of adding something like a T.C. Finalizer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.