Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Not Of Ths Earth - clean tone

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  FireEagle 
#1 ·
I have always wondered how did Satriani get that tone on NOTE record
intro. Or on Dreaming #11 clean part.
I've got a Fender Kotzen tele and an Ibanez Rg 350 with Paf Pro and Tone Zone.

Any general rules on how to get that tone ?

There is a guy on Youtube that covered Dreaming #11, and he has the exact tone I'm after, his name is 'Alex@Home'

#6 · (Edited)
Few guitarist and studio engineers, told me that,
in that time, when they were recording, and when they had problem with guitar track seating in mix, or cutting through it,
if nothing else is working,
they would take Rockman, usually XPR, or Sustainor + Chorus/delay, (all three that I have now, by the way), and record track straight do desk without need for too much fiddling, and it would seat in mix perfectly.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the replys, yeah, exactly what I knew as well. Rockman.
Still, I think buying one just for that would be a little bit.....anachronistic ?
I don't know. I'd rather find another way.
I'm pretty sure I could achieve that tone with

Guitar ---> Rack Comp ---> Eq ----> Chorus -----> Reverb---> Soundcard

BUT I only have one rack unit..... I'd like to find a Pre with a tone like the Rockman, maybe less ancient....

#10 ·
Honestly, try plugging straight into your interface. Better, if you have a dedicated guitar DI, use that instead (the impedence will be a little different than most hybrid mic/line input interfaces, which will probably get you a brighter, crisper tone).

Personally, I love Satch's early albums in spite of and not for the guitar sounds, but I'd imagine a direct straight-to-board guitar, definitely chorus and reverb, and then EQ and/or compression as necessary. It might not be a perfect match, but I'd imagine it'll do a very good job of capturing that bright/spanky/kinda cold and sterile feel...

#11 ·
Pulling this back up. So if you wanted that sound through say an Axe-FX, what would you do? Turn off the amp and cab models and just run effects?

Similarly, what about the distortion tone from a Rockman? I've always love the Hysteria album from Def Leppard. All the guitar tones on that are a Rockman.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.