Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Recording Vocals

4K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  JESTER700 
#1 ·
I'm having trouble recording te vocals on a song i'm recording. i'm using my Shure sm57 dynamic mike, and every take ends up distorted (it's a metal song, so the 'singing' is more like growling. could that be it?) i was wondering if anyone knows what i'm doing wrong. should i try a different mike? use Condensor overheads? stand a little farther from the mike? Any Hlp = Much appreciation.

#27 ·
Now that I know that there's a software compressor in this unit, he's gonna have to open it's display and set for about 6 to 1 ratio. Watch the gain, attack, release and threshold. Liten for compression after effects such as pumping and breathing. This you do NOT want.

Play with the input gain on the pre's and have fun!!

Cheers
Pat

#28 ·
rgr said:
If you are familiar with the stuff you should be able to help him, like I said, mics only change the color of what's being recorded, if he is getting distortion it sounds like something else. How can he check the levels and watch for clipping while he is recording?
There are meters right on the display, which will show the peaking and clipping.

The presets that Roland has were great for modifying to taste, and doing so I never had issues with digital distortion.

Granted I had a Boss BR8, but the 840GX is a higher end newer model, it should have all that mine did and more.

#30 ·
Ash said:
I'm having trouble recording te vocals on a song i'm recording. i'm using my Shure sm57 dynamic mike, and every take ends up distorted (it's a metal song, so the 'singing' is more like growling. could that be it?) i was wondering if anyone knows what i'm doing wrong. should i try a different mike? use Condensor overheads? stand a little farther from the mike? Any Hlp = Much appreciation.
Two Words. "Pop Filter". When you sing into a mic sometimes there is a lot of air being pushed into the mic. Just put your palm in front of your mouth when you sing. When you say letters like "P", you can feel all that air being pushed outta your mouth. This overloads and distorts the mic.

The pros usually use a "pop filter" placed a couple of inches in front of the mic. When you sing into the filer, a more "even" amout of air will go through the netting and hit the mic better and provide a consistant "level" on the recording board. You should aim for a +3 to +6 at the most as a level. Anymore will be too distorted.

What is a pop filter and where do I get one?

You can buy them at music stores. They attach to mic stands. BUT, if you do not have a pop filer, you can make one very simply with, don't laugh, "pantyhose". What you do is buy a pair of black pantyhose. Then take a wire coat hanger from your closet and wrap some of the leg part around the coathanger. Then bend the coat hanger into a square and wholla, a DIY (do it yourself) pop filter. The difference in recording vocals with and without a pop filter is AMAZING. Clarity and power with NO DISTORTION.

One trick in the studio is to always sing at the same "level" and distance from the mic. Around 6 to 8 inches. Very hard to do. This is why people then use compressors/limiters to limit the input level into the board.

The sure 57 mic is fine to use, believe it or not. Numanns, ( ultra expensive mics), are great for vocals but a pop filter with a Sure SM 58/57 works FANTASTIC when used properly. Save your cash. You will still get garbage results if you use a $2000.00 mic improperly.

Good luck

:wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.