Well, it's been a few weeks now, so here's an update on where we are with the recording...
It looks like we're going to record 12 songs. For 11 of them we have drums, bass, rhythm guitars, & solos recorded (for one song we have nothing recorded b/c the power went off in the middle of a recording session). We currently have vocals laid down for about half the songs. So after finishing up the rest of the vocals, we've got mix-down, mastering, and CD production (need to start working on that cover art!). Hopefully all will be done in the next 2-3 weeks. It's taken a while, but the results have been great--it certainly sounds better than any other home recording I've ever heard and it actually sounds better than the last times I paid to go into a studio.
Here's what I'm thinking... since we've all just about burnt ourselves out listening to these songs over & over & over again, it might be time to get some fresh ears to give it a listen. So here's how it works:
1) If you want a demo copy of our CD, e-mail me with your mailing address
2) If you're one of the first five to ten people to e-mail me, I'll send you a CD for no charge (I might post MP3's for everyone else)
3) Listen to the CD at home, at work, in the car, wherever and listen for things that don't sound right
4) Send some significant feedback back to me so I can hopefully do something about it
Helpful feedback would include things like:
- The bass is too loud throughout track 5
- I can't hear the vocals on the bridge on track 3
- Sounds like the clean guitars are clipping on track 9
- The tracks seem to have inconsistent volume levels
- The guitars sound a little thin during the verse on track 12
- What's that funny popping noise in the third chorus on track 4?
It doesn't have to be incredibly detailed... just try to pick up on some of the more obvious things we may have missed.
Non-helpful feedback would include things like:
- I don't like your musical style
- I don't like your guitar tone
- I don't like your drummer
- I don't like your bass player
- I don't like your vocals
- You don't sound like Steve Vai or Joe Satriani
- You have too much wah
- You have too much distortion
- You have too many squealies
We're not going to change our songs, line-up, or musical style as a result of this adventure--this is just about trying to improve the tonal quality of what's already on the CD.
For the record, our music is a hard rock/funk hybrid... sort of a Living Colour meets Lenny Kravitz meets Collective Soul type-thing. Lots of energy, lots of distortion, and lots of wah. If that's not your thing, then it's probably not best to request a copy of the CD!
So anyway, if you have some time to help us out, you'll get a free copy of our CD and can jam out to some of our tunes! Let me know if you're interested!