Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Seeking soundcard recommendations

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  bduersch 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of upgrading my studio computer, which means a new OS as well. Unfortunately, the Lexicon Core2 I've been using (a great card for the money) has no drivers for 2000 or XP, so if I go through with the upgrade I'll need to find a new card (that or run Windows ME on a P4, which seems like a BIG waste of time).

My requirements:
Inputs... I really need a card with 4 analog (1/4 or XLR) ins, but 8 would be nice. 10 would be amazing, but then I'd probably have to buy more rack gear to keep up with it!

Outputs... As far as outputs, I do most of my mixing and processing on the PC, so I really only need 2 outs, but 4 would be nice.

SPDIF & optical connectors... I don't have any digital studio gear, so I really don't need 'em. Welcome to Analog City!

MIDI ports... not necessary since I already have a MIDI adapter, but if they're there, then that's one less piece of gear I need.

Other features... the Core2 has built-in dbx compression/limiting and a daughterboard with all the effects from the MPX100. I really don't use the effects much, but do like having the built-in limiter.

Compatibility... should have drivers for 2000 & XP. Should work with Cakewalk PA 9.

Performance... probably isn't an issue with the new cards out there, but I need to be able to record on at least 4+ channels at once. I'm using it to record my band live, so that's 2 guitars, bass, and drums (which are mixed down prior to going into the computer). The Core2 has done a good job of this (on a P3 550 system running Win98), so I don't anticipate major issues with a new PC, better OS, and new soundcard.

Price... c'mon... I'm looking for a sound card for a basement recording studio, so the less expensive, the better.

So, what types of cards are you guys using? Any recommendations based on my needs?

Thanks,
--Brent

See less See more
#4 ·
I absolutely love my Aardvark Direct Pro LX6. I use it with Sonor on a juiced up Dell system for home demos and it has always worked great. I've even brought home tracks from our studio (recorded with Digital Performer on a dual 1GB processor Mac) and added guitars that we ended up keeping for a CD because they went down so clean. It is one of those rare items that I appreciate every time I use it. I can't imagine you ever being dissappointed. The guys at Aardvark are really great as well if you have any questions.

#6 ·
Hey Brent, i'm using 2 Delta Lt 1010 with a bunch of things together like 3 ADAT, and Tascam 1" / 16ch in a Yamaha 02R.

At moment i'm only recording using the 1010 cuz it's more reliable, pratical and quick. No latency at all - 8 millisec - (im using Athlon 1.3 Ghz, 512 Ram and maxtor 7200 rpm 40Gb) You can tranfer your master to DAT via Coaxial. The midi capabilities are very good.

#11 ·
Thanks for the tips everybody! Based mostly on price, I ended up purchasing an M-Audio Delta 1010LT, which does all the basic things I'm looking for without a lot of features I'll never use!

Now I've just got a week of anxiously waiting for all my parts to come in so I can get the new system up & running.

--B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.